Buckweed

Default Old hi-fi but still good

I am still using my original Linn Sondek/Azak/Ittok combination that
I bought in 1981!! Via a Meridian 105 power and 101 pre-amp.
Speakers are even
older - IMF TLS80 mark 2's - bought in 1977. Still knocks the socks
off supposedly high-end stuff I hear now. But I was also conned into
thinking that the turntable combination was the main link in the chain
back in the 80's.
Obviously the speakers make the main differnce between good or bad -
as your ears will tell you. Anyone else out there have any of this
stuff?
Harry Lavo

"Buckweed" wrote in message
I am still using my original Linn Sondek/Azak/Ittok combination that
I bought in 1981!! Via a Meridian 105 power and 101 pre-amp.
Speakers are even
older - IMF TLS80 mark 2's - bought in 1977. Still knocks the socks
off supposedly high-end stuff I hear now. But I was also conned into
thinking that the turntable combination was the main link in the chain
back in the 80's.
Obviously the speakers make the main differnce between good or bad -
as your ears will tell you. Anyone else out there have any of this
stuff?

You weren't conned....as a result you have a superb front end that has stood
the test of time. And the IMF speakers were (and are) wonderful...just
very, very large.

I had a similar system for many years...a Linn/Syrinx/Accuphase front end,
playing through an ARC SP-6Brc preamp, a D-90B power amp, and into TLS-50's.
This system might very well still be in place today had I not had a chance
to pick up some full range Thiels for a song, and had multichannel SACD not
come along. I only recently sold the Linn combo...and the IMF's were every
bit as good as the Thiels in every respect except imaging (where they were
no slouches).

John Walton

IMF is back, in a way -- they are now advertising in Stereophile and have a
website. (btw, I use the KEF B139's wihch you will recall from IMF designs
in a home-made set of bass reflex speakers which survived the youth and
adolescence of 3 boys).

"Buckweed" wrote in message
I am still using my original Linn Sondek/Azak/Ittok combination that
I bought in 1981!! Via a Meridian 105 power and 101 pre-amp.
Speakers are even
older - IMF TLS80 mark 2's - bought in 1977. Still knocks the socks
off supposedly high-end stuff I hear now. But I was also conned into
thinking that the turntable combination was the main link in the chain
back in the 80's.
Obviously the speakers make the main differnce between good or bad -
as your ears will tell you. Anyone else out there have any of this
stuff?

Norman M. Schwartz

"Buckweed" wrote in message
I am still using my original Linn Sondek/Azak/Ittok combination that
I bought in 1981!! Via a Meridian 105 power and 101 pre-amp.
Speakers are even
older - IMF TLS80 mark 2's - bought in 1977. Still knocks the socks
off supposedly high-end stuff I hear now. But I was also conned into
thinking that the turntable combination was the main link in the chain
back in the 80's.
Obviously the speakers make the main differnce between good or bad -
as your ears will tell you. Anyone else out there have any of this
stuff?

I have an original Linn-Sondek LP-12 with no updates, I've added new arms
and cartridges several times. I prefer my older Thorens TD-125 because I can
control the playing speed and can dial in 331/3 pretty exactly and like to
sync LPs with their CD equivalents and to burn new CD. Speakers have been
various model Maggies since '72. Once I heard a good Magneplanar set-up
nothing else will do for me.
---MIKE---

I am still using an Apt-Holman preamp, Apt 1 power amp, and DBX
Soundfield One speakers. This is in a large room (22' X 30' with a
cathedral ceiling) with log walls. I have several sub woofers in
different locations.

---MIKE---

Giles Stewart

I am also still using a meridian 101b with the balanced line output
module. It is hooked to a simmilar vintage Perreaux 6000B (pro amp see
other thread).

Until very recently these components were feeding a pair of B&W 802
(fs) series 80 speakers I have been using for 17 years.

Giles stewart

In article , Buckweed
wrote:

I am still using my original Linn Sondek/Azak/Ittok combination that
I bought in 1981!! Via a Meridian 105 power and 101 pre-amp.
Speakers are even
older - IMF TLS80 mark 2's - bought in 1977. Still knocks the socks
off supposedly high-end stuff I hear now. But I was also conned into
thinking that the turntable combination was the main link in the chain
back in the 80's.
Obviously the speakers make the main differnce between good or bad -
as your ears will tell you. Anyone else out there have any of this
stuff?

Michael

Buckweed wrote:
I am still using my original Linn Sondek/Azak/Ittok combination that
I bought in 1981!! Via a Meridian 105 power and 101 pre-amp.
Speakers are even
older - IMF TLS80 mark 2's - bought in 1977. Still knocks the socks
off supposedly high-end stuff I hear now. But I was also conned into
thinking that the turntable combination was the main link in the chain
back in the 80's.
Obviously the speakers make the main differnce between good or bad -
as your ears will tell you. Anyone else out there have any of this
stuff?

I've got a few vintage Pioneer and Sansui stuff around. I bought them
back in the day and they're still going strong. Sadly, I can't say the
same for my vintage speakers, which were gladly replaced--same goes for
my vintage tape and CD decks.

Michael
west

Buckweed Wrote:
I am still using my original Linn Sondek/Azak/Ittok combination that
I bought in 1981!! Via a Meridian 105 power and 101 pre-amp.
Speakers are even
older - IMF TLS80 mark 2's - bought in 1977. Still knocks the socks
off supposedly high-end stuff I hear now. But I was also conned into
thinking that the turntable combination was the main link in the chain
back in the 80's.
Obviously the speakers make the main differnce between good or bad -
as your ears will tell you. Anyone else out there have any of this
stuff?

HI, is so nice to
see people have the same stuff Meridian 105 power and
101 pre-amp.i own a pair for Meridian 105 mono power
blk too, but have just only display for years sinc my
dad pass away.need some help from you to keep the 105
back to alive.

i don't have the 101 pre-amp it has been gone
year ago and there is a few quetion need your help.

1)does the 105 must macth the 101?
2)i understand that 105 input are useing 5pin din-
connetor how to convent 5pin male Din-1,4,2,5,3
to RCA if useing other pre?
3)There is L and R input what input do you use?

thank you very much and hope will here your replay
soon.

--
west