Moe

Default Vinyl CD debate -- have you considered this??

When you compare CD to vinyl, are you guys taking into account the new
audio/DVD formats becoming more popular now, like DVD-audio.

As datarates are superior to regular CD's with these formats, don't they
blow away vinyl?

Also to consider, the room to improve CD audio in the future. How much
more could have vinyl records been improved if we went that direction?

john_D

Don't forget about Super Audio CD format (SACD).
Some audophiles argues SACD is actually better than DVD-A.

Even so, I would expect the vinyl-(sa)cd/dvd-a debate to continue for a
while; perhaps because 24/96 digital might still not be enough to
clearly defeat the analog.

However digital/analog debate will be over by the next generation
24/192 digital well done (by 'well done' I mean best experience after
years of trial and error game with lots of fine-tunning variables).

Moe wrote:
When you compare CD to vinyl, are you guys taking into account the

new
audio/DVD formats becoming more popular now, like DVD-audio.

As datarates are superior to regular CD's with these formats, don't

they
blow away vinyl?

Also to consider, the room to improve CD audio in the future. How

much
more could have vinyl records been improved if we went that direction?

Jocelyn Major

Hello!
Concerning DVD-Audio/SACD vs LP, I have tries a Onkyo Sp-800 at my
brother home. We compare it with is Oracle Delphi MK V. We try some
DVD-A (Fleetwood Mac Rumor, Neil Young Harvest, Beethoven Symphony #6
Barenboim) with their LP counterparts and the LP wins but this time by a
small margin. It's not the same big difference in favor of the LP that I
see with CD. The DVD-A sound is very very very close to the sound of the LP.
Maybe one day, I will find a digital media that is better than my Analog
and I will finally have a reason good enough to switch. DVD-A is close
but still not there yet. Some say tha SA-CD is better, I will try to
listen to one to see.

Bye

Moe wrote:

When you compare CD to vinyl, are you guys taking into account the

new

audio/DVD formats becoming more popular now, like DVD-audio.

As datarates are superior to regular CD's with these formats, don't

they

blow away vinyl?

Also to consider, the room to improve CD audio in the future. How

much

more could have vinyl records been improved if we went that direction?

Harry Lavo

"Jocelyn Major" wrote in message
Hello!
Concerning DVD-Audio/SACD vs LP, I have tries a Onkyo Sp-800 at my
brother home. We compare it with is Oracle Delphi MK V. We try some
DVD-A (Fleetwood Mac Rumor, Neil Young Harvest, Beethoven Symphony #6
Barenboim) with their LP counterparts and the LP wins but this time by a
small margin. It's not the same big difference in favor of the LP that I
see with CD. The DVD-A sound is very very very close to the sound of the

LP.
Maybe one day, I will find a digital media that is better than my Analog
and I will finally have a reason good enough to switch. DVD-A is close
but still not there yet. Some say tha SA-CD is better, I will try to
listen to one to see.

Bye

Keep it up. It's a journey I went on about three years ago. I think you'll
find they both sound more natural than CD, and as enjoyable in their own way
as analog. And if you try multichannel...well, after that, ordinary cd's
will sound, well, ordinary.

HE2005: The Great Debate John Atkinson Audio Opinions 471 May 31st 05 12:06 PM
Swap Vinyl Save Cash! swapthing Marketplace 0 March 5th 05 07:11 PM
Timing Michael Mossey High End Audio 58 January 7th 05 08:19 PM
Home Entertainment 2005 Debate John Atkinson Audio Opinions 176 December 18th 04 04:56 PM
CD verses vinyl - help clear dispute WideGlide Pro Audio 188 March 13th 04 09:23 PM