Default how to open grado sr125 headphones

Yeah, I know, this isn't a high end product, but maybe someone here
knows how to open up Grado SR125 headphones. The connection on one side
is intermittent, and the other side is just plain not working.
steve eddy

wrote in message ...
Yeah, I know, this isn't a high end product, but maybe someone here
knows how to open up Grado SR125 headphones. The connection on one side
is intermittent, and the other side is just plain not working.\

As a Gradoholic, I would beg to differ. I have the SR80's and, if they were
a woman, and I wasn't already married, I would marry them.

Flimsy, yes. But the sound is incomparable, at least to my old ears.
Uptown Audio

They are sealed. You can mail them to Grado for repair. You might try
replacing the plug first as that is often the problem end of a cable.
If that doesn't fix it, then they can do the work inside the "cans".
-Bill
www.uptownaudio.com
Roanoke VA
(540) 343-1250

wrote in message
Yeah, I know, this isn't a high end product, but maybe someone here
knows how to open up Grado SR125 headphones. The connection on one
side
is intermittent, and the other side is just plain not working.

Well, the price isn't high end. I like them, but geez they need tune
ups. Can't someone make decent foam? I've got SR60's as well, and both
needed the "forks" replaced, not to mention foam.

It looks like these are going to have to go back to the factory since
no one knows how to open them up. Soldering the connections is childs
play.

It's not the plug. You can slide the wire up and down near the driver
and hear the audio cut in and out. If the wires are going to just hang
there without a strain relief, I'll probably skip the repair and buy
something else. I think the basic design is flawed.

So how does the factory "unseal" the cans?

Uptown Audio

The Grado headphones all have strain relief devices at the earcups.
Yours has been compromised. I don't know how they repair them. They
probably just replace the cans as they must have tons of them,
literally.
-Bill
www.uptownaudio.com
Roanoke VA
(540) 343-1250

wrote in message
It's not the plug. You can slide the wire up and down near the
driver
and hear the audio cut in and out. If the wires are going to just
hang
there without a strain relief, I'll probably skip the repair and buy
something else. I think the basic design is flawed.

So how does the factory "unseal" the cans?

Mine never had any sort of strain relief. The wires to each can move up
and down quite easily. [Is the strain relief internal?] Maybe there is
an improved design. In any event, if they just toss the cans, it sure
seems like a waste since that means all they are saving is the band and
pivots, which are probably the worst part of the headphones.
Uptown Audio

The strain reliefs are inside the cans. They can replace the pivots
too. The band is fine. They are not heavy-duty, combat-ready type
phones, that is for sure. They sound great and are affordable however.
Grado also has good customer service and assembles them here in the
US, so you can always get someone on the phone and get them repaired.
Producing something that is a good value in the USA is almost a lost
art, but I find it an art nonetheless and worthy of support. Cost is
tough to control and the Chinese dumping issue is absurd making
competition nearly impossible in lower cost goods.
-Bill
www.uptownaudio.com
Roanoke VA
(540) 343-1250

wrote in message ...
Mine never had any sort of strain relief. The wires to each can move
up
and down quite easily. [Is the strain relief internal?] Maybe there
is
an improved design. In any event, if they just toss the cans, it
sure
seems like a waste since that means all they are saving is the band
and
pivots, which are probably the worst part of the headphones.

OK. As long as there is some sort of strain relief, I'll give them a
call. I just don't want to fix something that is just going to break
again, AKA good money after bad.