Posted to rec.audio.pro
Artie Artie is offline

Default Needed: Media for Mackie HDR 24/96

Hello RAPers,

I have posted in here for a while, but it seems I have a chance to do a
little audio work with a piece of gear I haven't touched in years.

I'm looking for the IDE drives and carriers for the Mackie HDR 24/96.
It seems like Mike Rivers, Harvey Gerst and a few others had a
procedure to build your own, but it really doesn't matter if they're
home-brew or factory products. I think I'll need as many as 6 to get
started on this project. Let me know here or via email if have any to
sell.

Thanks,

Artie

artie_t(at)swbell.net

Posted to rec.audio.pro
WillStG WillStG is offline

Artie wrote:
Hello RAPers,

I have posted in here for a while, but it seems I have a chance to do a
little audio work with a piece of gear I haven't touched in years.

I'm looking for the IDE drives and carriers for the Mackie HDR 24/96.
It seems like Mike Rivers, Harvey Gerst and a few others had a
procedure to build your own, but it really doesn't matter if they're
home-brew or factory products. I think I'll need as many as 6 to get
started on this project. Let me know here or via email if have any to
sell.

http://www.mackie.com/support/FAQ/hd....html#carriers

"Hardwa:Mother Board::Carriers

I would like to purchase a drive carrier and/or receiver that is
compatible with the HDR (MDR/SDR). I would like to place this into my
PC or external USB2/firewire chassis. What do you recommend?
The below units are all part of the Lian-Li "Group-A" Inner rack
family. All "Group-A" inner trays are electrically interchangeable. See
Lian-Li RH-58.
http://www.lian-li.com/Product/Mobile_Rack/IDE_A.htm

Also see carrier/receivers (M90 RH-58)
http://www.mackie.com/products/mackiemedia/index.html
The complete list is:

RH-06, RH-10
(all plastic, for older 4500rpm or slower drives)

RH-12, RH-20
(all plastic, for older 5400rpm or slower drives, ATA - 100)

RH-40, RH-47
(Aluminum bottom plate heat sink for 5400 and 7200rpm drives - supposed
to run 4 to 6 deg. C. cooler, ATA - 133)

RH-58 * (Mackie M90 equivalent)
(A RH-40 with 2 fans for large capacity 7200 and 10000rpm drives -
supposed to run 10 deg. C. cooler, ATA - 133) Fans can be unplugged if
the case is too noisy for your application but be sure to check the
drive after it has been running - if it's too hot to touch with the
back of your finger, then reconnect the fans. - See Lian-Li RH-58
http://www.lian-li.com/Product/Mobile_Rack/IDE_A.htm
Note from Will - (Some users report problems with RH-58, see mackie
forums.)

Also see Firedock (www.firedock.com) external firewire drive/bay using
Lian-Li (http://www.lian-li.com/Product/Mobile_Rack/IDE_A.htm) and
drive carriers and receivers. "

Will Miho
NY TV/Audio Post/Music/Live Sound Guy

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Artie wrote:
I have posted in here for a while, but it seems I have a chance to do a
little audio work with a piece of gear I haven't touched in years.

In that case, you should update the software to Version 1.4 and buy my
book: The Last Mackie Hard Disk Recorder Manual at
http://www.cafepress.com/mikerivers

It seems like Mike Rivers, Harvey Gerst and a few others had a
procedure to build your own, but it really doesn't matter if they're
home-brew or factory products. I think I'll need as many as 6 to get
started on this project.

You probably don't have the BIOS upgrade, so you'll be limited to 30 GB
drives. Best to start looking for those now as drives that "small" are
rarely sold over the counter any more, you have to buy from on-line
sellers. Get new drives, not used drives. I haven't run into a brand in
a few years that doesn't work so you don't need to worry about what to
get. 20 or 30 GB, IDE (ATA100), minimum 5400 RPM, 2 MB cache, though
you'll mostly find 7200 RPM with an 8 MB cache. Maxtors are nice and
quiet, Hitachi (IBM) are even quieter, but there's nothing wroing with
Western Digital. For some reason few people seem to be using Seagate,
perhaps as a result of availibility (or not).

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Federico Federico is offline

By the way....
I am trying to install a new external HD on my HDR.
I already tried 3 different brands but no one seem to work.
The HD I bought were Maxtor, Hitachi and Seagate, all formatted FAT32 via
PC.
What's my problem?
F.

P.S: for Mike: I'm having trouble with CafePress for ordering your book!!
F.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
WillStG WillStG is offline

Federico wrote:
By the way....
I am trying to install a new external HD on my HDR.
I already tried 3 different brands but no one seem to work.
The HD I bought were Maxtor, Hitachi and Seagate, all formatted FAT32 via
PC.
What's my problem?
F.

Is the external drive pinned as the master drive, and the internal
drive pinned as the slave? (Note - they SHOULD be.)

There are more guys who use the Mackie HDR/MDR/SDR at the Mackie
users forum than you will find here. Search here

http://forums.mackie.com/scripts/for...?ubb=forum;f=2

And Mackie info/manuals/software/bios downloads/ are here ...

http://www.mackie.com/support/FAQ/hdr_detailed.html

Will Miho
NY TV/Audio Post/Music/Live Sound Guy

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Artie Artie is offline

Thanks Mike and Will for the replies. I don't suppose either of you
have a couple of 30 Gig drives to sell that are ready to plug in and
go?

Artie

Mike Rivers wrote:
Artie wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro
WillStG WillStG is offline

Artie wrote:
Thanks Mike and Will for the replies. I don't suppose either of you
have a couple of 30 Gig drives to sell that are ready to plug in and
go?

Artie

Plenty available off the shelf, the guy at www.firedock.com has
them in various sizes, or at ebay search for "Mackie M90 Compatible
Drives", or at the ebay store OYEN-DIGITAL.

Will Miho
NY TV/Audio Post/Music/Live Sound Guy

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Federico wrote:

I am trying to install a new external HD on my HDR.
I already tried 3 different brands but no one seem to work.
What's my problem?

Maybe you don't have them set as Master. Maybe you don't have the
ribbon cable seated correctly. Maybe you're using the wrong carriers.

P.S: for Mike: I'm having trouble with CafePress for ordering your book!!

What's the problem? I have no control over what they do, but I'd be
curious. I just checked it and the web page
http://www.cafepress.com/mikerivers comes up, and I could add the book
to the shopping cart. Something else?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
David Morgan \(MAMS\) David Morgan \(MAMS\) is offline

"Artie" wrote in message ups.com...
Hello RAPers,

I have posted in here for a while, but it seems I have a chance to do a
little audio work with a piece of gear I haven't touched in years.

I'm looking for the IDE drives and carriers for the Mackie HDR 24/96.
It seems like Mike Rivers, Harvey Gerst and a few others had a
procedure to build your own, but it really doesn't matter if they're
home-brew or factory products. I think I'll need as many as 6 to get
started on this project. Let me know here or via email if have any to
sell.

Thanks,

Artie

artie_t(at)swbell.net

Hello Mr. Turner. It's hard to just 'give up' isn't it? ;-)

DM

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Artie Artie is offline

On Jan 24, 12:27 am, "David Morgan \(MAMS\)" /Odm
wrote:

It's hard to just 'give up' isn't it? ;-)

It's a disease, I tell ya! ;^)

I might need your help on this, David!

Artie

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

It's hard to just 'give up' isn't it? ;-)

It's a disease, I tell ya! ;^)

I might need your help on this, David!

Artie

You surprise me brother... I thought you sold everything (thanks for the
cherry RE-20) and got married!! Are you saying she's that, um... errr..,
sensitive? And does she fully understand the meaning of, "money pit" ?

DM

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Artie Artie is offline

On Jan 25, 2:28 am, "David Morgan \(MAMS\)" /Odm
wrote:

ArtieYou surprise me brother... I thought you sold everything (thanks for the

cherry RE-20) and got married!! Are you saying she's that, um... errr..,
sensitive? And does she fully understand the meaning of, "money pit" ?

Oh yeah, she understands "money pit" just fine. We just bought a house
built in 1890.

Fortunately, this little recording project should only require some
more media for the Mackie and some of my time. It's basically a live,
off the board project that someone else will mix and edit. All I have
to do is connect the HDR to the board and keep it running for three or
four hours a night. And make sure they can fly the HDR wav files into
whatever mixing environment they wind up with - ProTools, I suspect.

Thoughts?

Artie

DM

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

ArtieYou surprise me brother... I thought you sold everything (thanks for the

cherry RE-20) and got married!! Are you saying she's that, um... errr..,
sensitive? And does she fully understand the meaning of, "money pit" ?

Oh yeah, she understands "money pit" just fine. We just bought a house
built in 1890.

Do you make a good 'foundation' ? ;-)

Fortunately, this little recording project should only require some
more media for the Mackie and some of my time. It's basically a live,
off the board project that someone else will mix and edit. All I have
to do is connect the HDR to the board and keep it running for three or
four hours a night. And make sure they can fly the HDR wav files into
whatever mixing environment they wind up with - ProTools, I suspect.

Thoughts?

That much material isn't something that I'd relish jumping in on until
it had been considerably thinned down. I'm also assuming that you
won't be able to lay your good brains on the material during recording
and start working on the individual tracks (EQ, comp, etc.)... so this
may be a pretty big chunk of eliminating and polishing. Let me know
when things get to a manageable size if you still want some input.

DM

--
David Morgan (MAMS)
http://www.m-a-m-s DOT com