Walco van Loon

Default Choosing a room: 'rectangular' room vs. a 'triangular' attic

Hi all,

In a few weeks I'll be moving to a new house, and I have to choose a
room for recording and mixing. I've been reading Ethan Winer's acoustic
FAQ, so I know some basics but I don't have enough knowledge and
practical experience to make a choice beforehand - especially because of
the odd shape of the attic. If it's not a clear cut case after all I'll
just try them both out by doing some simple evaluations using white
noise/sine wave sweep recordings. Which room will need the least
acoustical treatment?

The rooms I can choose between are a regular 'rectangular' room with
dimensions 4.05 x 2.97 x 2.6 meter (13 x 9.9 x 8.7 ft) (LWH) or the
'triangular' attic, having a rectangular floor of 8.25m x 2.35m (27.5 x
7.8 ft), and being 2.5 meters (8,3 ft) high, shown on the ascii-art
figure below, seen from the side:

/\
/ \
/ \
/ \
/--------\

The first room has 1 concrete wall and three plaster walls, the attic's
ceiling is covered with sawdust panels, its back wall is concrete, and
the front wall is a plaster wall.

I find it especially hard to evaluate the merits/problems of the attic.
At first subjective hearing it sounded quite natural. But I wonder if
there will be a problem mixing in the room because of the early
reflections since the room is not very deep and the ceiling is narrowing
quickly.

So would you advice to get proper treatment for the rectangular room
because its acoustic properties are much more predictable or does the
attic have some acoustic virtues that make it worthwhile? Also, how
would one approach bass trapping in such a room?

Thanks in advance for your reply,

Cheers,
Walco