CatalystX

Default Help with a complete system, mostly JL Audio

I'm currently designing a new system in a 1991 Camry four door sedan
and need some advice. First I'll give a rundown of my plans and then
pose specific questions afterwards. My focus is SQ but I want
respectable SPL, which my component list will attest to. I also want
to avoid prolonged upgrades so I'm getting everything I need now
without worrying about cost too much. One other important note is that
I'm trying to do this with minimal alterations to the car because it's
my girlfriend's, plus I don't want to encourage thieves.

Here's what I've purchased already:

Head Unit
JVC KD-SH9750
19Wx4 RMS, 50Wx4 Max at 4? ohms
3 pair 4v preamp outputs including subwoofer

Amp
JL Audio e6450
Stereo: 45Wx6 RMS at 4 ohms, 75Wx6 at 2 ohms
Bridged: 90Wx3 RMS at 8 ohms, 150Wx3 at 4 ohms

Front Speakers
Infinity Kappa 32.5cf 3-1/2" Coaxial
35 RMS, 105 Max
4 ohms

Rear Speakers
JL Audio XR525-CXi 5-1/4" Coaxial
60 RMS, 125 Max
4 ohms

Subs
2x JL Audio W6 12" in a sealed box
300 RMS, 1000? max
6 ohms, dual voice coil

As for the car itself, I'm going to replace all the chintzy 1/8"
particle board panels in the trunk area with 3/4" MDF. This includes
building one for the rear window to mount the XR525's in, with baffles
to seal them from the subs. The existing wiring will be replaced with
quality cables while I install sound/vibration damping material
throughout the trunk and cabin.

My first question is what brand of cables is top quality without being
overpriced. I've always like Monster and have heard good things about
StreetWires, but are there others I should be looking at? Also, any
recommendations on which guages to use for these components?

Second, what are the best sound deadening products to use? For damping
I'm leaning towards the Polymeric Mastic from McMaster, but it seems
like I also need some foam absorbing sheets. Maybe a combination of
the two?

Third, an obvious problem is that the amp isn't powerful enough to
drive those subs, which were originally going to be a pair of W0's but
I found a sweet deal for the W6's that I couldn't pass up. I wanted to
keep it simple with one amp, but it seems that any 5+ channel model
with enough power for the entire system is too much more than a 4
channel plus a monoblock to justify the cost.

I don't want to spend a a lot more than the $285 I've already put into
the e6450, but will bite the bullet if I have to. It'd be nice to
stick with JL Audio, but I'll definitely consider other high quality
brands if they have a better solution, so please suggest away...

Finally, I'm not sure of the alternator's amp rating, but I'm sure it's
something insufficient like 60 or 70. Accounting for the bigger
amp(s), how powerful of an alternator should I replace the stock one
with and which brands are recommended? Do you guys think I'll need a
capacitor at all?

Thanks in advance for any information, I greatly appreciate it.

Aaron
Mark Zarella

[...]

Sounds like overkill for a system consisting of no midbass drivers.
Deadening is usually best utilized in midbass compartments.

My first question is what brand of cables is top quality without being
overpriced. I've always like Monster and have heard good things about
StreetWires, but are there others I should be looking at?

Metal is metal.

Also, any
recommendations on which guages to use for these components?

18ga. and up is perfectly suitable for that kind of power.

Second, what are the best sound deadening products to use? For damping
I'm leaning towards the Polymeric Mastic from McMaster, but it seems
like I also need some foam absorbing sheets. Maybe a combination of
the two?

Third, an obvious problem is that the amp isn't powerful enough to
drive those subs, which were originally going to be a pair of W0's but
I found a sweet deal for the W6's that I couldn't pass up. I wanted to
keep it simple with one amp, but it seems that any 5+ channel model
with enough power for the entire system is too much more than a 4
channel plus a monoblock to justify the cost.

Good observation.

I don't want to spend a a lot more than the $285 I've already put into
the e6450, but will bite the bullet if I have to. It'd be nice to
stick with JL Audio, but I'll definitely consider other high quality
brands if they have a better solution, so please suggest away...

JL makes fine amps with great crossover control. They always seemed a bit
overpriced to me though. If the power distribution isn't right for you,
don't use it.

Finally, I'm not sure of the alternator's amp rating, but I'm sure it's
something insufficient like 60 or 70. Accounting for the bigger
amp(s), how powerful of an alternator should I replace the stock one
with and which brands are recommended? Do you guys think I'll need a
capacitor at all?

I'd address this issue after the installation is complete. It's almost
impossible to predict in advance. In the meantime, have your current
alternator and battery tested to make sure you're not starting out with
failing components.

Paul Vina

Go to Wal-Mart and get theScosche 4ga. kit they have for $29.95. Other
than a couple of extra sets of rcas (which they'll also have) the kit comes
complete with everything you'll need. Most of the "high end" stuff is just
overpriced crap, unless it's the looks you're after.

Paul Vina