Looking for audio receiver for TV setup

Old November 15th 04, 03:43 PM
Mack McKinnon

Default Looking for audio receiver for TV setup

Maybe someone has some insight into where I should look in my continuing
search for a replacement for my old Pioneer audio receiver.

I run the analog audio out of my Sony HDTV set into the "TV/SAT" component
analog (R/L RCA cables) input. So, for analog surround audio, I tune the
receiver to "TV/SAT". But if we are watching a channel with digital audio,
such as any HDTV programming, we want the 5.1 digital audio that feeds out
of the TV set via an optical OUT. I run this to an assignable optical IN on
the Pioneer which I then assign to the "CD" selection. The receiver has to
be tuned to "CD" to get the 5.1 digital audio. So watching TV, changing
channels, requires a great deal of changing receiver settings as well.

What I want in a new receiver is a component input channel to which I can
assign optical 5.1 digital but will also default to an analog signal if no
digital signal is present. That way, the receiver can just be left, all the
time, on the same -- presumably "TV/SAT" -- setting when watching TV.

I thought I had found this in the Sony SRT-DE897-S, which I ordered from
Amazon, tried and sent back. It had assignable optical digital inputs and
you could supposedly, according to the manual, set the various component
channels on it to "2 CH" so that they would default to analog input if no
digital signal was present.

But, in fact, I found that if there was no digital signal, the DE897
receiver would not actually default to analog. If I started with analog, it
would detect a new digital signal, but not the other way around. In other
words, this feature -- the reason I bought the receiver -- just didn't work.

I had other problems with it as well. The optical IN's were not assignable
to any component, the DVD channel could only take COAX digital (so my DVD
player, with only an optical OUT, had to go to VIDEO ONE), and I could not
get it set up so that it would run the center channel, along with front R &
L, with analog surround audio from analog TV channels. It insisted on
playing TV audio as though it were music, i.e. L & R. Possibly I was just
unsuccessful at finding the correct settings for this.

Another (but unrelated) question: Who uses all those video connections?
What is their
purpose? I have a digital HDTV set with digital and analog audio OUT and a
DVD/DVR player with component OUT. I find no use for video inputs and
outputs on my receiver. Is it possible to find a Home Theater receiver that
just exists to take care of your audio rather than wasting all my dollars on
video inputs and outputs that I can't even imagine how I would use?

mack
austin

Old November 15th 04, 04:30 PM
Lucas Tam

"Mack McKinnon" > wrote
in :

> What I want in a new receiver is a component input channel to which I
> can assign optical 5.1 digital but will also default to an analog
> signal if no digital signal is present.

Try the Pioneer VSX-1014... it has an "Auto" mode which will detect which
signal is available.

Also... what receiver are you using for digital TV? My digital cable box is
able to output 2-channel as well as digital signals through it's optical
output.

--
Lucas Tam )
Old November 15th 04, 05:36 PM
Mack McKinnon

"Lucas Tam" > wrote
> Also... what receiver are you using for digital TV? My digital cable box

is
> able to output 2-channel as well as digital signals through it's optical
> output.

We have a Sony KDF-60XS955 HDTV, using it with a CableCard for digital cable
from Time-Warner. No cable box; the digital cable signals are decoded by
the TV's internal receiver. The TV then outputs audio to an external
receiver via RCA cables for analog and optical for digital. The optical
digital output only outputs digital; doesn't convert analog to digital and
output that, too, although that would be nice. When there is no digital
audio, it outputs nothing.

mack
austin