Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Tube747 Tube747 is offline

Default 1500V for 6D22S in full wave rectification

Hello!
Can I use 2 x 6D22S in full wave rectification for GM70's B+ supply
that running at 1500VDC?

Thanks!
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Andre Jute[_2_] Andre Jute[_2_] is offline

On Feb 18, 1:59*pm, Tube747 wrote:
Hello!
Can I use 2 x 6D22S in full wave rectification for GM70's B+ supply
that running at 1500VDC?

Thanks!

That should be no problem, as several people easily made a bridge of
6D22S give 500mA at around 900V, and I ran PSE Svet SV572-3 and -10
high and hot with 6D22S rectification.

However, the question arises why you would wish to run GM70 at 1500V,
which is max plate voltage, and how much current you intend to use.
Here are six not necessarily unrelated thoughts:

1. Power dissipation in amps that actually work and keep working is
usually no higher than 80% of Pdmax and none of the limits are maxed
out as you intend to do with the GM70. Those are 'don't go here'
maxima, *not* suggested operating conditions.

2. It may be sonically a lot smarter to up the current a bit and lower
the voltage. The sweetness of your sound in simple amps stand in
direct relationship to the current you burn both in the driver and the
power tube. Current 'wasted' is in fact a superior substitute for
negative feedback. See my KISS articles at the URL under my sig.

3. Unless you have experience of high voltage amps, you don't want to
mess with kilovolt plus power supplies. They can and will kill you.
Even worse, caps and other components start to become *very*
expensive.

4. Be sure you understand the 6D22S's parameters before you start
designing, especially the filament to cathode 600V rating.

5. Forget solid state and the usual GZ34 rectifiers, and so on, damper
diodes put you straight away in sonic heaven, and the 6D22S is the
king of the damper diodes. You've lucked out, feller.

6. Kilovolt and higher transmitting tube amps can grow monstrously
heavy. Give thought before you start designing about separation of
units, and where you will get umbilical connectors that are both
capable and affordable.

Andre Jute
Visit Jute on Amps at
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/fiultra/
"wonderfully well written and reasoned information for the tube audio
constructor"
John Broskie TubeCAD & GlassWare
"an unbelievably comprehensive web site containing vital gems of
wisdom"
Stuart Perry Hi-Fi News & Record Review
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Tube747 Tube747 is offline

Dear Andre Jute,
Thank you very much for the valuable advice! I'm thinking about
running the GM70 (copper plate version) either 1500V @185ma in class
A2 OR 1200V @100ma in pure class A.

The reason I'm interested in A2 due to reading Lynn Olson postings on
other forum about running A2 on both 300B and 845 for finest result!
Jack Elliano from Electraprint has also wrote about A2 operation with
favorable result. What's your suggestion?

I know the 2 x 6D22S is able handle 300ma max current, but not sure
its high voltage capability, such as 1500V and 1200V.

This is my proposal for building the amplifier. The input tube is C3g
triode wired, and then DRD couple to Full Music 300B mesh feeding 1:1
interstage transformer and driving the GM70.

Power supply will be in a separate chassis. B+ supply for both driver
stage and output stage is totally independent with separate power
transformer! My first approach for the driver stage's PS is using the
5U4GB -- 25mf -- constant current source -- shunt regulator (solid
state); But now might think about to use the 2 x 6D22S instead of
5U4GB after your rave on this rectifier tube.

Regard the output stage PS, this is the diagram:

2 x 6D22S (full wave rectification) -- 50mf 2000V caps -- Low DCR
choke -- 10 x 50mf 2000V caps

What do you think?

All connectors between the PS unit and main chassis will be Neutrik
Power Con due to its high voltage and high current capability.

Thanks again!

On Feb 19, 5:38*am, Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] arthrnyork@webtv.net is offline

On Feb 18, 6:02*pm, Tube747 wrote:
[...]

Stuart Perry Hi-Fi News & Record Review- Hide quoted text -

1500VDC at 300mA is sufficient to roast anyone that desires to become
a toast. Heavy duty insulation is not pretty to look at all. GM70 is a
pig of a tube - typical modulator, though fairly robust.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Feb 19, 10:02*am, Tube747 wrote:
Dear Andre Jute,
Thank you very much for the valuable advice! I'm thinking about
running the GM70 (copper plate version) either 1500V @185ma in class
A2 OR 1200V @100ma in pure class A.

If you have 1,500V between anode and cathode and Ia =185mA then anode
heat generated at idle, ie Pda = 1,500 x 0.185A = 277.5Watts.

This is more than 3 times what you should have for ONE tube.

I might ask you to think a little more about tube audio design and
setting tubes up for any class of operation.

What you will get if you follow your guesses is SMOKE.

The reason I'm interested in A2 due to reading Lynn Olson postings on
other forum about running A2 on both 300B and 845 for finest result!
Jack Elliano from Electraprint has also wrote about A2 operation with
favorable result. What's your suggestion?

Some tubes go better than others with class A2, ie, with grid current.
But to partially overcome the distortion generated in driver stages
while traversing from class A1 to A2, one needs some very rugged
circuit techniques which are best left right out in favour of having
more OP tubes paralleled and using class A1.

But to find out about what sort of engineering is needed you first
need to understand load line analysis.

Go to my pages on tubes and please start reading.
http://www.turneraudio.com.au/loadmatch1-se-triodes.htm

Now there are NO curves for how to deal with a GM70 at my site. If you
are at all intelligent enough to understand the basics at my site then
maybe you can just plot your load lines with a set of Ea - Ia curves
from the data on GM70.
The METHOD of thought is the same for *every* triode.

I know the 2 x 6D22S is able handle 300ma max current, but not sure
its high voltage capability, such as 1500V and 1200V.

I don't where data is for the tube. But it is a single anode
indirectly heated cathode type.

I don't know why on earth you would ever bother with tube rectifiers;
they never make the sound any better!!!!!

For +1,200V Its quite easy to have an 890Vac winding and use a bridge
made of 16 x 1N5408 and have a string of series 4 x 470uF x 450V caps,
then a choke of 4H, then another string of the same caps, and you will
have a well filtered B+ rail.

But take a look at the schematics of amp and PSU of my class A1 SE55
at
http://www.turneraudio.com.au/monobloc845se55.html

In this I have voltage doubler psus and a split rail for the SE
triodes.

This means the insulation on the OPT is not stressed.

Not a single bloomin stoopid tube rectifier to be seen anywhere.

This is my proposal for building the amplifier. The input tube is C3g
triode wired, and then DRD couple to Full Music 300B mesh feeding 1:1
interstage transformer and driving the GM70.

Power supply will be in a separate chassis. B+ supply for both driver
stage and output stage is totally independent with separate power
transformer! My first approach for the driver stage's PS is using the
5U4GB -- 25mf -- constant current source -- shunt regulator (solid
state); But now might think about to use the 2 x 6D22S instead of
5U4GB after your rave on this rectifier tube.

Regard the output stage PS, this is the diagram:

2 x 6D22S (full wave rectification) *-- 50mf 2000V caps -- Low DCR
choke -- 10 x 50mf 2000V caps

What do you think?

First of all, do the load line analysis.

One rarely if ever needs to use 1,500V for any SET using large tubes
like 845, 211, or GM70.

Pda should never be more than 75W for these sorts of tubes so if you
have 33% efficiency maximum A1, then you'll get about 25W.

Class A2 can allow efficiency of up to 45%.

But you really have to work and pay hard to achieve the extra few
watts.

So it always works out better if you settle for A1, then just increase
the output tube numbers to get more PO.

Of the 3 tubes, 211, 845, only the 845 is really the best for hi-fi.
But one does need to be able to make up to about 160Vrms of drive
signal, but use only about 120Vrms for A1.

Class A2 is a Pain In The Arse because the driver amp must be able to
make **linear** voltage swings into grids drawing so much current
during positive going voltage swings that the load value becomes very
low, maube only 1k during the part of the swing where grid current is
drawn. T get the needed linearity with A2 in the grid current region
there must be a cathode follower between the driver tube producing the
VOLTAGE so that you can also get the high CURRENT needed.

Using a 300B as a driver is OK. I am repairing Push Pull Ming Da
100Wpch amps here now with 845 and they have 300B driver tubes but
gain is just under 4.0, so there is a 6SN7 long tail pair to drive the
300B and a single 6SN7 to drive the LTP.
There is just enough gain. at max PO, 300Vrms grid to grid is needed
at the 845 grids.

About 1/2 this may be needed for PP GM70 A1.

I designed but never built an amp for GM70. It has B+ at anode at
+980V, and cathode has nice simple cathode biasing where Ek = 80V, and
so for A1 the grid swing is +/- 80pkV, = 56Vrms, and this is from a
common cathode gain stage using 6SN7 paralleled and R loaded with CR
coupling to the GM70 grid.

The SE triode should be set up at voltages which favours A1. For
example, With SE 211, if you want A1, then one uses Ea = 1,250V quite
OK and Ia 60mA. RL is then about 13kohms.
Now one might try to use A2, and get a bigger Eminmum swing so RL has
to be higher, maybe 20k, lest you have cut off when Emax is increased.
So some folks run 211 at a much lower Ea, maybe 800V, Ia 94mA and use
a large A2 grid swing and RL = 8k, because the OPT is a lot easier to
wind, or there is an available 10k primary OPT which can be used; even
a PP OPT will do if you cap couple that to the anode which is fed from
a B+ supply via 50H choke. ( Its called parafeed ).

My design for GM70 is another paralleled 6SN7 and there is 10dB global
NFB to get the output resistance low enough to control speakers
properly. One could use trioded EL34, gain about 8.

When using 300B as driver tubes, or probably better 2A3 tubes then
consider having a CT choke and series R to each anode as suggested at
http://www.turneraudio.com.au/300w-1...tput-jan06.htm
This is for PP but the principle is the same for SE as you can see in
my SE845 55W amps.

The CT choke allows a lower grid bias R and a wider and less distorted
V swing for the driver regardless of what driver tubes you have.

All connectors between the PS unit and main chassis will be Neutrik
Power Con due to its high voltage and high current capability.

These would NOT ever be my choice.

I made my own plugs and sockets for the SE55 I built because there was
nothing commercially available which had 9 pins, each of which could
have 5A and +/- 700Vdc. The plugs and sockets on the amp I made are
large clunkin' things but
very rugged, and the plug only fits ONE way into ONE channel, so they
are idiot proof.

My design uses sophisticated active protection against bias failure
etc, so the 9 wires in the umbilical cables are essential, also for
safety reasons.

I have used octal plugs and sockets for amps where B+ does not exceed
500V.
But finding well made commercially off the shelf samples for plugs and
sockets is like searching for rocking horse droppings - you seek but
you don't find.

Remote PSU are the best way to maintain noise in the output below 0.25
mV at any time or situation.
Especially with DH triodes which MUST have *very wel* smoothed DC
cathode supplies.

Patrick Turner.

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Feb 18, 11:02*pm, Tube747 wrote:
Dear Andre Jute,
Thank you very much for the valuable advice! I'm thinking about
running the GM70 (copper plate version) either 1500V @185ma in class
A2 OR 1200V @100ma in pure class A.

You can't do that because it exceeds the power rating of the tube. See
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/fiultra/...dre%20Jute.htm
for working with the tube parameters graphically on the loadlines,
which takes all these matters and many more into consideration on a
single sheet of paper that you can, with practice, take in instantly.

In addition, nobody needs 1500V amps, or even 1200V ones. Something
under a kilovolt generally does even the most ambitious. And even
those aren't for people who don't yet understand how to read the
specs, as you clearly don't.

To be blunt, I think you should first build several much more modest
amps before starting work on a transmitting tube amp in the kilovolt
range. Even a 300B amp is more than dangerous enough to people who
already know what they're doing!

The reason I'm interested in A2 due to reading Lynn Olson postings on
other forum about running A2 on both 300B and 845 for finest result!
Jack Elliano from Electraprint has also wrote about A2 operation with
favorable result. What's your suggestion?

Perhaps they're right. Perhaps they're just bored and looking for
something new. However that may be, A2 amps are trickier to design
than you may think and I've never found one that sounded as good as
Class A1. The whole point of choosing hefty transmitting tubes is to
get enough power in Class A1 without even having to consider drawing
grid current. I consider A2 suitable for people forced by their
financial circumstances to choose some mickey mouse tube that doesn't
have the oomph to drive the speakers in A1. By way of example, an SE
845 can easily be made to give 20W in A1, and you just add tubes for
more power. It is difficult to conceive of a finer sound than an 845
driven in SE Class A1 by a 300B, playing through a reasonably
sensitive speaker (which includes QUAD Electrostats). A Svet SV572-2
might shade it slightly, if built right, but they're unobtanium.

I know the 2 x 6D22S is able to handle 300ma max current, but not sure
its high voltage capability, such as 1500V and 1200V.

The dissipation is always V x A = W and must never exceed the
manufacturer's rating, and in well-designed amps never comes within 20
per cent of it, in Patrick Turner's version within 25 per cent of it.

This is my proposal for building the amplifier. The input tube is C3g
triode wired, and then DRD couple to Full Music 300B mesh feeding 1:1
interstage transformer and driving the GM70.

Have you considered the good-sounding 845? It's a lot easier to work
with, it's only downside a high drive requirement (both signal voltage
and current), and sounds even better when driven with a 300B. Very
simple 845 circuits work a treat; that saves cost and weight.

Power supply will be in a separate chassis. B+ supply for both driver
stage and output stage is totally independent with separate power
transformer! My first approach for the driver stage's PS is using the
5U4GB -- 25mf -- constant current source -- shunt regulator (solid
state); But now might think about to use the 2 x 6D22S instead of
5U4GB after your rave on this rectifier tube.

Regard the output stage PS, this is the diagram:

2 x 6D22S (full wave rectification) *-- 50mf 2000V caps -- Low DCR
choke -- 10 x 50mf 2000V caps

What do you think?

If you're spending these extravagant amounts of money, you should have
the best possible power supply, and that is choke input. So you might
want to look into a bridge of rectifier tubes, choke, cap, choke, cap
filter, with decoupling downstream. That sound simple but it is the
best-sounding power supply.

All connectors between the PS unit and main chassis will be Neutrik
Power Con due to its high voltage and high current capability.

For transferring more than a kilovolt? You're joking, of course. Read
the spec again.

Thanks again!

I really suggest very strongly that you build several less puissant
amps first. You might start any project by calculating carefully how
much power you truly need. It is always more satisfactory to spend
money up front getting the best possible sensitive speakers and then
reducing your amp's power requirements and building it accordingly,
than to try and hog the maximum power from tubes.

More information you might find of use starts he
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/fiultra/...mp%20INDEX.htm

Hope this helps. You really want to spend a good deal of time reading
on my site and Patrick's, and in the RDH, and reflecting on what you
read, before you start specifying tubes and operating classes based on
what anyone, including Lynn and Jack, say *about the last amp they
built*. Your amp must fit into your system, and your system sound is
actually 80 or 90 determined by your speakers.

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

You can't do that because it exceeds the power rating of the tube. Seehttp://www.audio-talk.co.uk/fiultra/KISS%20112%20by%20Andre%20Jute.htm
[...]

Small triodes don't sound bad at all, provided the speakers are
efficient enough. 2A3 is a great example.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Feb 20, 6:35*am, wrote:
[...]

That's why I say that it is worth getting sensitive speakers before
you even start thinking of which tube you'll choose. The minute you
have sensitive speakers, horizons open to you. I personally use 300B
amps most of the time,

There's a design -- The Impresario -- for sensitive speakers on my
netsite that can be inexpensively built. It sounds superb with the
cheapest amp I ever designed, a 2W EL34 SE operating striclty in Class
A1.

Andre Jute
Visit Jute on Thisthatandtheother
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/fiultra/...20ARISING.html
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Tube747 Tube747 is offline

On Feb 19, 5:40*pm, Patrick Turner wrote:
On Feb 19, 10:02*am, Tube747 wrote:

Dear Andre Jute,
Thank you very much for the valuable advice! I'm thinking about
running the GM70 (copper plate version) either 1500V @185ma in class
A2 OR 1200V @100ma in pure class A.

If you have 1,500V between anode and cathode and Ia =185mA then anode
heat generated at idle, ie Pda = 1,500 x 0.185A = 277.5Watts.

This is more than 3 times what you should have for ONE tube.

I might ask you to think a little more about tube audio design and
setting tubes up for any class of operation.

What you will get if you follow your guesses is SMOKE.

What about 1180V 115ma? I guess this is not exceeding the plate
dissipation rating of the GM70.

[...]

Thanks for the advice!

consider having a CT choke and series R to each anode as suggested athttp://www.turneraudio.com.au/300w-1+2-schem-input-driver-output-jan0...
[...]

read more »- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Tube747 Tube747 is offline

Dear Andre Jute,
My technician who will build the amplifier for me also suggest I try
the 211 as driver. But the microphonic is what I concern! One of my
friend suggest I parallel few 5687 (2 or 3 tubes) and use as a driver
since my friend hate power triode to drive another power triode. He
said the 300B is microphonic, other than that, it kills the beautiful
things that the 9 pins miniature possess. Again thanks for the
valuable advice!

On Feb 20, 5:50*am, Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Feb 21, 1:24*am, Tube747 wrote:
[...]

Any vacuum tube/valve/lamp can potentially cause microphonic
defect. I am very disturbed to hear that even the 300B is not immune
against this dreadful illness. Must be of PRC manufacture, like the
rest of their mass products = low grade...
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Feb 21, 6:24*am, Tube747 wrote:
Dear Andre Jute,
My technician who will build the amplifier for me also suggest I try
the 211 as driver.

Why? Perhaps your techie should stick to soldering.

But the microphonic is what I concern!

Eh? Microphonic 300B? Not that I ever heard of, and I started in the
days of really wretched Chinese 300B.

One of my
friend suggest I parallel few 5687 (2 or 3 tubes) and use as a driver

I like the 5687 and its computer cousin the 7044 but have you studied
the spec and discovered how much swing you can actually generate? And
another six sockets! Has your friend ever actually designed and built
any amp, never mind something as fundamentally heavy as a kilovolt
amp?

In any event, the purpose of using a power triode is to get enough
current to overcome Miller capacitance. See
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/fiultra/...dre%20Jute.htm
where I explain how the necessary slew rate current is calculated.

since my friend hate power triode to drive another power triode.

These are electrical matters. It appears your friend deals in street
corner gossip.

He
said the 300B is microphonic, other than that, it kills the beautiful
things that the 9 pins miniature possess.

Your friend is talking crap through the back of his neck. The nine pin
miniatures are hugely compromised. Check the history of their
development, the purposes of their invention. Ask yourself why they do
so well in guitar amps -- it is because they distort the sound. Your
friend has listened to so many cheap and rubbishy amps built with 9-
pin tubes, he now thinks that's what music should sound like. Those of
us who have spent a lifetime in concert halls, listening to live
performers, know better.

Again thanks for the
valuable advice!

I really suggest that you educate yourself before you waste a lot of
money building an amp designed by street corner gossip, or a hodge-
podge of ideas from here, there and everywhere which will do nothing
but fight each other.

You can start at http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/fiultra/...mp%20INDEX.htm
which was written for people just like you, and you should also look
at http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/fiultra/...trafi-crct.jpg
This the KISS Amp 300B 'Ultrafi' circuit. Two-stage, all-triode,
single-ended, zero negative feedback, ultra-silent tube amplifier with
Western Electric WE417A high-mu triode and WE300B DHT, Mullard GZ37
tube rectification, with twin-choke smoothing (zero electrolytic
capactiors, of course!). This is also the control amp (think of a 300B
pre-amp) which boosts my 75W SE SV-572-xx amp into life. Extended
description in THE KISS AMP 300B.

*****If you seriously want us to help you, start by telling us which
speakers you want to drive and what their sensitivity is. From there
we can work out how much power you truly need, and then help you
specify a tube and a topology to best serve your musical needs.

Choosing a monstrous tube like the GM70 first and then trying to make
it work is a romantic endeavour -- and building custom amps is about
building good-sounding but dangerous electronics, not about romance,
and certainly not about street corner gossip.

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Feb 21, 6:36*am, wrote:
[...]

First I hear of microphonic 300B! Sounds to me like the rumour mill is
working overtime. -- AJ
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Tube747 Tube747 is offline

Dear Andre Jute,
I hear what you said, and decided to build a much simple amplifier.
This is what I'm trying to do. I'll build an amplifier by using C3g as
driver tube and KR 300B-XLS as output tube. The circuit is based on
Jack Ellianos DRD, this means the C3g triode wired is choke loaded and
feeding the grid of the KR 300B-XLS; and the output stage is para-feed
in Ultra-path arrangement (return back to cathode) with 5K primary
impedance.

As far as power supply goes, 6D22S full wave rectification plus 50mf
oil filled poly caps, low DCR choke, 8 x 150mf oil filled poly caps,
current source and shunt regulator; this is because PS regulation is
critical for DRD circuitry.

The output tube tubes is running in A1. I guess this amplifier is much
safety than the GM70.

Thanks again!

On Feb 22, 5:39*am, Andre Jute wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Feb 22, 6:08*am, Tube747 wrote:
Dear Andre Jute,
I hear what you said, and decided to build a much simple amplifier.
This is what I'm trying to do. I'll build an amplifier by using C3g as
driver tube and KR 300B-XLS as output tube. The circuit is based on
Jack Ellianos DRD, this means the C3g triode wired is choke loaded and
feeding the grid of the KR 300B-XLS; and the output stage is para-feed
in Ultra-path arrangement (return back to cathode) with 5K primary
impedance.

As far as power supply goes, 6D22S full wave rectification plus 50mf
oil filled poly caps, low DCR choke, 8 x 150mf oil filled poly caps,
current source and shunt regulator; this is because PS regulation is
critical for DRD circuitry.

The output tube tubes is running in A1. I guess this amplifier is much
safety than the GM70.

Thanks again!

When you finish this amp, you will have not only an excellent sounding
amp of your own design and making, but the perfect booster amp to
drive a transmitting tube amp if you decide you still need one. Good
luck. -- Andre Jute

On Feb 21, 6:36*am, wrote:

[...]

read more »

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Tube747 Tube747 is offline

Dear Andre Jute,
Again thanks for your help! These are very helpful discussion!! I have
some questions for you about the 300B XLS project.

1) How you comment between WE 437A and C3g when use as driver tube for
KR 300B XLS?

2) Other than 6D22S, What about 5U4GB? Does it as good?

Thanks!

*http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/fiultra/...p%20INDEX..htm

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Feb 21, 6:36*am, wrote:

[...]

5U4 is another pig in the vacuum kingdom.
At 3 A for the filament alone why would anyone even think of using one
in this time and day? And to have a full bridge rectifier you will
need two of them! Silicon rectifier is almost perfect, now
germanium is even better provided it is obtainable. A small delay
circuit for B+ turn-on is all that is needed.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] arthrnyork@webtv.net is offline

On Feb 23, 10:03*am, John Byrns wrote:
In article
,

wrote:

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *5U4 is another pig in the *vacuum kingdom.
At 3 A for the filament alone why would anyone even think of using one
in this time and day? * *And *to have a full bridge rectifier you will
need two of them! * * Silicon rectifier is almost perfect, now
germanium is even better provided it is obtainable. A small delay
circuit for B+ turn-on is all that is needed.

I'd like to see a design for a "full bridge rectifier" using only two
5U4s? *I would think it would take a minimum of three 5U4s.

--
Regards,

John Byrns

Surf my web pages at, *http://fmamradios.com/

Each 5U4 contains two anodes. 2x2=4 (a bridge). No use for
another energy sucking vampire pig of a tube. Vacuum tube/valve
rectifiers do have certain characteristics that don't pertain to s.s.
dodes. According to some, they supply 'softer' sounding B+ that may
( I cannot agree) develope a higher dynamic range (which I do not
hear). Whatever one decides to build, power supply is no less
important than the audio stages and requires equal attention. Beware
of lethal shocks. Even when unplugged, capacitors and inductors can
store a charge for a long time!

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] arthrnyork@webtv.net is offline

On Feb 24, 9:40*am, John Byrns wrote:
In article
,

wrote:

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *5U4 is another pig in the *vacuum kingdom.
At 3 A for the filament alone why would anyone even think of using one
in this time and day? * *And *to have a full bridge rectifier you will
need two of them! * * Silicon rectifier is almost perfect, now
germanium is even better provided it is obtainable. A small delay
circuit for B+ turn-on is all that is needed.

I'd like to see a design for a "full bridge rectifier" using only two
5U4s? *I would think it would take a minimum of three 5U4s.

* *Each 5U4 contains two anodes.

No argument there.

2x2=4 (a bridge).

Only if there are no constraints on connecting the "anodes" that makes
the bridge configuration impossible.

No use for another energy sucking vampire pig of a tube.

There is if you want to build a "full bridge rectifier" using 5U4s. *I
would like to see or hear an actual description of how you propose
connecting only two 5U4s as a "full bridge rectifier"?

--
Regards,

John Byrns

Surf my web pages at, *http://fmamradios.com/- Hide quoted text -

'Full' somehow crept into this sentence all by itself.
Meant to say full-wave bridge rectifier. I don't like tube rectifiers
as you can see! However, I have lots of respect for tube voltage
regulators.