Kevin Gibbons

Default VW Factory CD Changer - Wiring Diagram?

Hello all,

I picked up a factory VW 6-CD changer (Model # 1J6 035 111) on Ebay
this week for my 2004 Jetta, and wouldn't you know the thing is dead
when I hooked it up to the car. Absolutely no power at all to eject
the cd magazine -- and I did try the wiring harness connected in both
positions (since it's not really keyed to the position it needs to be
in - but the wires are numbered).

I also tried the unit when the car was both started and turned off.
Still no power to the unit either way -- so I'm convinced the unit is
dead.

So, when I got the unit back in the house, I noticed the shrink tubing
was kind of lumpy where the wires separate out of the wiring trunk.
So I carefully slit the shrink tubing off to reveal the connections
underneath -- and I think I found my problem. It looks like somebody
has been screwing around with the wiring, because this certainly
doesn't look like factory work.

I took two pictures with my digital camera, here are the links:

http://www.kgibbons.com/ebay/changer/01.jpg
http://www.kgibbons.com/ebay/changer/02.jpg

Coming out of the wiring trunk itself, it looks like I have the
following wires:

blue
grey
yellow
green
brown
2 thick black wires
orange wire wrapped in copper braid
thin black wire wrapped in copper braid

I have no idea why, but if you look at the pictures they have the two
thick black wires exposed and touching right before they terminate
into the wiring harness (look at the clear plastic shrink tubing).
And it would definitely seem like these are the power wires.

And then with the two copper braid shielded wires, they have them
rigged up and making multiple connections as well. So it's just an
ugly scene all the way with this thing.

I would have no problem re-wiring this harness if I had some idea what
the wiring is supposed to look like. But with the ugly state of
affairs with this changer right now, I'm really flying blind.

Can anyone possibly point me in the direction of a wiring diagram for
the VW CD changer? A graphical layout would be great, but I'll take
anything I can get right now - so a write-up on the wiring is fine too

I may spend the time re-wiring this harness only to have the unit be
dead anyway.. but at least I will have tried.

Any help on this is greatly apprecaited!

KG
Lee Wasson

Try www.vwvortex.com and search forums or ask there. Those guys know their
stuff.