Jay Levitt

Default Shame on Sound on Sound

I was just reading my November issue, and noticed this whopper from
technical editor Hugh Robjohns:

"The CD burner creates small bumps in the playing surface of the CD-R
that the CD player can then detect. The spacing between each bump is
critical to being able to detect and decode the data signal. But more
importantly, the rising and falling edge (the beginning and end) of each
bump is also critical, and this is the aspect that is most affected by
different combinations of burn speed, disc media and the state of the
laser."

Oh, SOS...

--
Jay Levitt |
Wellesley, MA | Hi!
Geoff Wood

"Jay Levitt" wrote in message
I was just reading my November issue, and noticed this whopper from
technical editor Hugh Robjohns:

"The CD burner creates small bumps in the playing surface of the CD-R
that the CD player can then detect. The spacing between each bump is
critical to being able to detect and decode the data signal. But more
importantly, the rising and falling edge (the beginning and end) of each
bump is also critical, and this is the aspect that is most affected by
different combinations of burn speed, disc media and the state of the
laser."

Oh, SOS...

Maybe suffering from trying to 'talk down to the layman' where this was not
necessary, and in fact quite counter-productive...

geoff

Mike Rocha

"Geoff Wood" -nospam wrote in message

"Jay Levitt" wrote in message
I was just reading my November issue, and noticed this whopper from
technical editor Hugh Robjohns:

"The CD burner creates small bumps in the playing surface of the CD-R
that the CD player can then detect. The spacing between each bump is
critical to being able to detect and decode the data signal. But more
importantly, the rising and falling edge (the beginning and end) of each
bump is also critical, and this is the aspect that is most affected by
different combinations of burn speed, disc media and the state of the
laser."

Oh, SOS...

Maybe suffering from trying to 'talk down to the layman' where this was
not necessary, and in fact quite counter-productive...

geoff

Care to briefly correct the inaccuracy in that statement? I read it in the
same issue and it sounded a little odd at the time but i didn't think much
of it. Don't have too much background on that topic.

Thanks

Roach

Geoff Wood

"Mike Rocha" wrote in message

Care to briefly correct the inaccuracy in that statement? I read it in the
same issue and it sounded a little odd at the time but i didn't think much
of it. Don't have too much background on that topic.

There are no bumps in a CD-R. The changes are in the optical properties in
a film of laser-sensitive dye. 'Bumps' (better known as 'pits') are unique
to stamped CDs.

geoff

Drily Lit Raga

"Geoff Wood" -nospam wrote in
:

"Mike Rocha" wrote in message

Care to briefly correct the inaccuracy in that statement? I read it
in the same issue and it sounded a little odd at the time but i
didn't think much of it. Don't have too much background on that
topic.

There are no bumps in a CD-R. The changes are in the optical
properties in a film of laser-sensitive dye. 'Bumps' (better known as
'pits') are unique to stamped CDs.

geoff

You have ra-ceived a beump, one could get a concussion from such a beump.

- Inspector Clouseau

Ty Ford

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 00:35:54 -0500, Drily Lit Raga wrote
(in article ):

"Geoff Wood" -nospam wrote in
:

"Mike Rocha" wrote in message

Care to briefly correct the inaccuracy in that statement? I read it
in the same issue and it sounded a little odd at the time but i
didn't think much of it. Don't have too much background on that
topic.

There are no bumps in a CD-R. The changes are in the optical
properties in a film of laser-sensitive dye. 'Bumps' (better known as
'pits') are unique to stamped CDs.

geoff

You have ra-ceived a beump, one could get a concussion from such a beump.

- Inspector Clouseau

Brain Fart; happens now and then.

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com

Hugh Robjohns, Technical Editor SOS

I am impressed that you all take such stock of Sound On Sound that a
silly typo slip like this causes such consternation. It keeps us all
on our toes -- and rightly so.

I'm afraid this was a simple case of brain fade (or brain fart -- I
like that... very apt!).

It is indeed the case that the CD-R burning process uses a relatively
high powered laser to cause the organic dye layer in the disc to
darken when heated. Thus the affected sections of the organic layer
allows less light through (and back) from the reflective layer below
when read by a standard power laser. The opto-receiver therefore sees
a varying intensity of reflected laser light according to the number
and spacing of the 'burned' areas of the disc, and this represents the
binary channel code recorded to the disc.

'Bumps' are indeed the restricted to pressed CDs, and produce the
required varying intensity of reflected light through phase
cancellation of the light reflected from the tops of the bumps and the
surrounding lands.

Apologies for any confusion caused in this detail of that particular
Q&A.

Kindest regards to all our readers,

hugh

xy

Jay, you serious?

I thought factory vs. home cd's were made basically the same way, but
the factory had faster and more robust machinery.

xy

Jay, you serious?

I thought factory vs. home cd's were made basically the same way, but
the factory had faster and more robust machinery.
Scott Dorsey

xy wrote:
Jay, you serious?

I thought factory vs. home cd's were made basically the same way, but
the factory had faster and more robust machinery.

No. CD-Rs are not CDs. Not even a little bit. They are a dye image,
and they do not have anything like the long-term stability of CD pressings.
They also tend to have much higher error rates.

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"xy" wrote in message om...
Jay, you serious?

I thought factory vs. home cd's were made basically the same way, but
the factory had faster and more robust machinery.

I'm feeling a little ignorant here myself, but factory replication is done from
a reverse glass master and is 'stamped' much like vinyl was. It's a rather
massive process involving a lot of robotics and sterile atmosphere.

I've been burning CDs in the studio for almost 17 years and never realized
the process involved tinting the dye rather than burning pits. How much we
take for granted sometimes.... :-(

--
David Morgan (MAMS)
http://www.m-a-m-s DOT com

Bob Cain

David Morgan (MAMS) wrote:
"xy" wrote in message om...

Jay, you serious?

I thought factory vs. home cd's were made basically the same way, but
the factory had faster and more robust machinery.

I'm feeling a little ignorant here myself, but factory replication is done from
a reverse glass master and is 'stamped' much like vinyl was. It's a rather
massive process involving a lot of robotics and sterile atmosphere.

I've been burning CDs in the studio for almost 17 years and never realized
the process involved tinting the dye rather than burning pits. How much we
take for granted sometimes.... :-(

The idea is to keep a reflection from getting to the
detector. Bumps use dispersion and dyes use absorption.

I believe that in either case all that edges are used for is
slaving the phase locked loop to give an indication of
where the middle of the bit is. Slop at the edges is ok
because the middle is bigger than the slop.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein

Geoff Wood

"xy" wrote in message
om...
Jay, you serious?

I thought factory vs. home cd's were made basically the same way, but
the factory had faster and more robust machinery.

You were totally wrong !

geoff

Ty Ford

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 17:55:04 -0500, David Morgan \(MAMS\) wrote
(in article czvmd.10267$pP5.2451@trnddc05):

"xy" wrote in message
om...
Jay, you serious?

I thought factory vs. home cd's were made basically the same way, but
the factory had faster and more robust machinery.

I'm feeling a little ignorant here myself, but factory replication is done
from
a reverse glass master and is 'stamped' much like vinyl was. It's a rather
massive process involving a lot of robotics and sterile atmosphere.

I've been burning CDs in the studio for almost 17 years and never realized
the process involved tinting the dye rather than burning pits. How much we
take for granted sometimes.... :-(

Right, "regular" CDs are made by a physical stamping process from a reverse
master (not unlike vinyl records).

CD-R are laser burned.

Regards,

Ty Ford