kooz

Default Voiceover Mic recommendations?

Hello everyone!

I'll be in the market shortly for a mic. It's primary use (initially,
anyway) will be to record male narration, but I'd also like it to
function nicely as an all-purpose mic that will see some music
recording. I'm thinking along the lines of a LDC or a Ribbon. I'm
familiar with the RE20, the 414, the U87 and 89. I'd appreciate some
suggestions for me to evaluate before I buy.
Thanks in advance -kooz
Phil Brown

I'm thinking along the lines of a LDC or a Ribbon. I'm
familiar with the RE20, the 414, the U87 and 89. I'd appreciate some
suggestions for me to evaluate before I buy.
Thanks in advance -kooz

Tough to beat an RE20.
Phil Brown
Ricky W. Hunt

"Phil Brown" wrote in message

Tough to beat an RE20.
Phil Brown

Yup.

Marc Wielage

The EV RE-27 is a newer version of the RE-20 that has more extended high
frequency response and a little more output. I actually prefer it to the
RE-20, but it's a personal thing. A lot depends on the voice of the person
doing the actual VO.

I've used the Shure SM-7 many times, and it's been a standard VO mike for
years as well. It has more proximity effect than the RE-20, and I think you
need to EQ it slightly for best results, but again, that depends a lot on the
specific voice involved.

I've seen a lot of VO booths at LA post houses that use the venerable
Sennheiser 416 short shotgun, but you can make a good point that the mike's
far from flat, and designed more to pull out good dialog from difficult
locations. Nonetheless, it's used for many, many network promos and TV
narration sessions.

A lot of the Neumann variations (U89, TLM-103) can be used for VO with
terrific results, too. I know at least one show on the air now that's using
the mid-priced Rode mikes with good results for lots of VO, and they sound
surprisingly good for this application.

--MFW

Ty Ford

On Sun, 9 May 2004 16:58:12 -0400, kooz wrote
(in message ) :

Hello everyone!

I'll be in the market shortly for a mic. It's primary use (initially,
anyway) will be to record male narration, but I'd also like it to
function nicely as an all-purpose mic that will see some music
recording. I'm thinking along the lines of a LDC or a Ribbon. I'm
familiar with the RE20, the 414, the U87 and 89. I'd appreciate some
suggestions for me to evaluate before I buy.
Thanks in advance -kooz

Schoeps cmc641, with the expensiver teardrop pop filter.

Regards,

Ty

PVP9847

you might not want to opt for a ribbon for 2 reasons
1 - usually low output
2 - figure eight pattern - would probably not be as tight sounding as needed
in VO work

Michael Drainer

Have the RE20 and SM7 both good mics but the RE20 has a smoother response
and doesn't demonstrate the proximity effect seen by the SM7. Not to
mention the fact its a dynamic mic with built-in pop filter. Extremely
versatile

"kooz" wrote in message
om...
Hello everyone!

I'll be in the market shortly for a mic. It's primary use (initially,
anyway) will be to record male narration, but I'd also like it to
function nicely as an all-purpose mic that will see some music
recording. I'm thinking along the lines of a LDC or a Ribbon. I'm
familiar with the RE20, the 414, the U87 and 89. I'd appreciate some
suggestions for me to evaluate before I buy.
Thanks in advance -kooz

Richard Kuschel

On Sun, 9 May 2004 16:58:12 -0400, kooz wrote
(in message ) :

Hello everyone!

I'll be in the market shortly for a mic. It's primary use (initially,
anyway) will be to record male narration, but I'd also like it to
function nicely as an all-purpose mic that will see some music
recording. I'm thinking along the lines of a LDC or a Ribbon. I'm
familiar with the RE20, the 414, the U87 and 89. I'd appreciate some
suggestions for me to evaluate before I buy.
Thanks in advance -kooz

Schoeps cmc641, with the expensiver teardrop pop filter.

Regards,

Ty

Or the CMH641 which comes with an even expensiver filter built right into the
microphone and you won't need a Cut filter to use with voice.

Richard H. Kuschel
Steve King

"Michael Drainer" wrote in message
m...
Have the RE20 and SM7 both good mics but the RE20 has a smoother response
and doesn't demonstrate the proximity effect seen by the SM7. Not to
mention the fact its a dynamic mic with built-in pop filter. Extremely
versatile

I've always preferred the SM7 to the RE20. The proximity effect is very
useful, when you have professional talent that knows how to use that
quality. The roll-off and mid-range bump EQ is also useful. Of course,
some voices will find the RE20 more complementary.

Steve King

Matt

Not to
mention the fact its a dynamic mic with built-in pop filter. Extremely
versatile.

So why does it offer an accessory pop filter? Is the built-in one any good?

"kooz" wrote in message
om...
Hello everyone!

I'll be in the market shortly for a mic. It's primary use (initially,
anyway) will be to record male narration, but I'd also like it to
function nicely as an all-purpose mic that will see some music
recording. I'm thinking along the lines of a LDC or a Ribbon. I'm
familiar with the RE20, the 414, the U87 and 89. I'd appreciate some
suggestions for me to evaluate before I buy.
Thanks in advance -kooz

Michael

Its a marketing feature...just something else for them to sell.

The built-in pop filter is more than adequate. In fact, visit any major
radio studio and they probably have several RE20s with out the accessory pop
filter.

om...

"kooz" wrote in message
om...
Hello everyone!

I'll be in the market shortly for a mic. It's primary use (initially,
anyway) will be to record male narration, but I'd also like it to
function nicely as an all-purpose mic that will see some music
recording. I'm thinking along the lines of a LDC or a Ribbon. I'm
familiar with the RE20, the 414, the U87 and 89. I'd appreciate some
suggestions for me to evaluate before I buy.
Thanks in advance -kooz

TonyP

"Michael" wrote in message
m...
Its a marketing feature...just something else for them to sell.

The built-in pop filter is more than adequate. In fact, visit any major
radio studio and they probably have several RE20s with out the accessory

pop
filter.

They are often used to stop people "eating" the mic though.

TonyP.