Ty Ford

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 17:55:04 -0500, David Morgan \(MAMS\) wrote
(in article czvmd.10267$pP5.2451@trnddc05):

"xy" wrote in message
om...
Jay, you serious?

I thought factory vs. home cd's were made basically the same way, but
the factory had faster and more robust machinery.

I'm feeling a little ignorant here myself, but factory replication is done
from
a reverse glass master and is 'stamped' much like vinyl was. It's a rather
massive process involving a lot of robotics and sterile atmosphere.

I've been burning CDs in the studio for almost 17 years and never realized
the process involved tinting the dye rather than burning pits. How much we
take for granted sometimes.... :-(

Right, "regular" CDs are made by a physical stamping process from a reverse
master (not unlike vinyl records).

CD-R are laser burned.

Regards,

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com

TonyP

"xy" wrote in message
om...
I thought factory vs. home cd's were made basically the same way, but
the factory had faster and more robust machinery.

You thought wrong.

TonyP.

Lorin David Schultz

"Geoff Wood" -nospam wrote:

Sound On Sound is generally very concise.

The remarks Jay quoted *were* concise. Unfortunately, they were also
incorrect.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good