Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Default Newbie Question about Replacing Tubes

On Jun 12, 1:13*pm, (Rockinghorse Winner) wrote:
I have a set of 6550 tubes in a music amp that I want to replace - 4 6550
tubes. *Can I replace them with ANY 6550 OR KT88's? *I kind of gathered from
the forums I've checked that I can, but I want to be certain.

Also, I'm thinking of getting either the Tung Sol 6550 or the
Electro-Harmonix KT88 to replace the current EH 6550's. Are these good
choices? Also, what do you think of the Svetlana 6550's - are these OK?

If the anode supply is under 500Vdc, usually any 6550 or KT88 are OK
to plug in without any modification. I have found that the Ra, gm and
µ of the The EH KT88 and EH 6550 are exactly the same and the
internals look the same. I am not sure if "winged C" genuine Svetlana
6550 are better sounding than other 6550 or KT88.
Ppl argue about the sound and they all cannot be right.

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Rockinghorse Winner[_7_] Rockinghorse Winner[_7_] is offline

In article ,
Patrick Turner wrote:
[...]

Thanks!

*R* *H*

--
Gaudium mundi, nova stella cæli, Fedora12 (2.6.32 kernel)
procreans solem, pariens parentem, Newsreader: trn 4.0-test76

Replacing 12ax7 tubes in TubeTech MP1-A p Pro Audio 11 June 21st 06 07:56 PM
Replacing tubes on Copland 401 lee Vacuum Tubes 5 February 14th 06 03:36 AM
replacing tubes lee Vacuum Tubes 17 February 8th 06 05:21 PM
Replacing chinese 6N1 tubes, is there an equivalent European NOStube? O. Alvarez Vacuum Tubes 0 January 4th 04 12:44 PM
When replacing tubes (6CG7) ? Ronald Vacuum Tubes 1 August 28th 03 10:31 PM