Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Default Wifi volume controller ?

Anybody aware of a simple stand-alone Wifi-controlled fader system (with
Android remote software), 2 channel, either bal or unbal ?

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article ,
geoff wrote:
Anybody aware of a simple stand-alone Wifi-controlled fader system (with
Android remote software), 2 channel, either bal or unbal ?

Well, there is the Shadow Hills Oculus which I think uses bluetooth for
remote control rather than wifi. They want you to use their own control
box but you could ask them about writing a possible Android application.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 6/11/2015 4:25 a.m., Scott Dorsey wrote:
In article ,
geoff wrote:
Anybody aware of a simple stand-alone Wifi-controlled fader system (with
Android remote software), 2 channel, either bal or unbal ?

Well, there is the Shadow Hills Oculus which I think uses bluetooth for
remote control rather than wifi. They want you to use their own control
box but you could ask them about writing a possible Android application.
--scott

Found a project for a 'kludge' that uses a stepped up/down RF wireless
controller.

http://tinyurl.com/qxhj6wl

Surely a gap in the market for a product for remotely controlling desk
output in situations where the desk is not out front ?

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff wrote:
Found a project for a 'kludge' that uses a stepped up/down RF wireless
controller.

http://tinyurl.com/qxhj6wl

Surely a gap in the market for a product for remotely controlling desk
output in situations where the desk is not out front ?

Well, there are a lot of systems where you can remotely control the whole
console from a remote device over wifi.... Roland pioneered it.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 6/11/2015 12:23 p.m., Scott Dorsey wrote:
geoff wrote:
Found a project for a 'kludge' that uses a stepped up/down RF wireless
controller.

http://tinyurl.com/qxhj6wl

Surely a gap in the market for a product for remotely controlling desk
output in situations where the desk is not out front ?

Well, there are a lot of systems where you can remotely control the whole
console from a remote device over wifi.... Roland pioneered it.
--scott

.... but apparently not to retro-fit existing non-remote-enabled systems.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 11/5/2015 2:03 PM, geoff wrote:
Surely a gap in the market for a product for remotely controlling desk
output in situations where the desk is not out front ?

There are a lot of mixers like that nowadays, but it's probably not
worth anyone's time to build a 1- or 2-channel box to do the job. I
recall seeing an infra-red remote volume controller at a NAMM show
several years ago - one year only.

--
"Today's production equipment is IT based and cannot be operated without
a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be

Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 6/11/2015 3:27 p.m., Mike Rivers wrote:
On 11/5/2015 2:03 PM, geoff wrote:
Surely a gap in the market for a product for remotely controlling desk
output in situations where the desk is not out front ?

There are a lot of mixers like that nowadays, but it's probably not
worth anyone's time to build a 1- or 2-channel box to do the job. I
recall seeing an infra-red remote volume controller at a NAMM show
several years ago - one year only.

I would imagine there would be a market for this for a large proportion
of all mixers without remote functionality currently being used for
small to medium gigs and other functions where the sound desk is not out
front, ie most of them - must be hundreds of thousands !

How convenient - just wander around the audience and tweak the level if
necessary !

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 11/6/2015 3:00 PM, geoff wrote:
I would imagine there would be a market for this for a large proportion
of all mixers without remote functionality currently being used for
small to medium gigs and other functions where the sound desk is not out
front, ie most of them - must be hundreds of thousands !

How convenient - just wander around the audience and tweak the level if
necessary !

What people want to be able to do is not simply adjust the volume of a
mix, but adjust the mix itself. What you're asking about might be more
at home in a boardroom or conference room - and there are hundreds of
thousands of them. But they're prepared to pay a lot more than musicians
pay for their gear.

--
"Today's production equipment is IT based and cannot be operated without
a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be
operated without a passing knowledge of audio" - John Watkinson

Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 7/11/2015 8:17 p.m., Mike Rivers wrote:
On 11/6/2015 3:00 PM, geoff wrote:
I would imagine there would be a market for this for a large proportion
of all mixers without remote functionality currently being used for
small to medium gigs and other functions where the sound desk is not out
front, ie most of them - must be hundreds of thousands !

How convenient - just wander around the audience and tweak the level if
necessary !

What people want to be able to do is not simply adjust the volume of a
mix, but adjust the mix itself. What you're asking about might be more
at home in a boardroom or conference room - and there are hundreds of
thousands of them. But they're prepared to pay a lot more than musicians
pay for their gear.

The mix is something I can adjust (to a degree) with headphones from
anywhere. The volume out in front is surely best adjusted from out in
front ?!!!

Put it this way, for a particular type of event I , if nobody else,
would be quite happy to pay money for such a device !

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 11/7/2015 2:32 AM, geoff wrote:
The mix is something I can adjust (to a degree) with headphones from
anywhere. The volume out in front is surely best adjusted from out in
front ?!!!

Put it this way, for a particular type of event I , if nobody else,
would be quite happy to pay money for such a device !

I would be happy to pay for such a device to adjust the volume of
_someone else's_ mix, but I don't think they'd let me.

Seriously, though, do you have a specific application or are you just
wishing? Are you talking about your band playing a gig in a bar, or
being able to make volume adjustments for a program that runs all day
where people are coming and going and you may need to change the level
to match up with the background noise and size of the listening audience
at different times of the day?

Or are you just too lazy to walk out and listen, decide if it's too loud
or too quiet (or even measure it - there are a number of SPL meter apps
these days are stable enough for reference even if they're not
accurately calibrated.

--
"Today's production equipment is IT based and cannot be operated without
a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be
operated without a passing knowledge of audio" - John Watkinson

Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Randy Yates[_2_] Randy Yates[_2_] is offline

geoff writes:

Anybody aware of a simple stand-alone Wifi-controlled fader system
(with Android remote software), 2 channel, either bal or unbal ?

geoff

Like this?

http://www.soundcraft.com/products/ui16
--
Randy Yates
Digital Signal Labs
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 8/11/2015 3:52 a.m., Mike Rivers wrote:

Or are you just too lazy to walk out and listen, decide if it's too loud
or too quiet (or even measure it - there are a number of SPL meter apps
these days are stable enough for reference even if they're not
accurately calibrated.

Call it "too lazy" if you like, but why not just walk out and do it
from there straight off ?

Presumably that's the reason such functionality (plus much more, for
whatever that's worth) is standard fare in current higher-end consoles.

Maybe everybody is getting lazy, or lacks the skill to make an correct
all-encompassing judgement in one shot....

My particular immediate case is an outdoor festival-type thing covering
a medium-sized park area, with wildly differing program which would
benefit from frequent level tweaking from 'out there'.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 8/11/2015 4:53 a.m., Randy Yates wrote:
geoff writes:

Anybody aware of a simple stand-alone Wifi-controlled fader system
(with Android remote software), 2 channel, either bal or unbal ?

geoff

Like this?

http://www.soundcraft.com/products/ui16

Overkill. I just want a 2-channel volume control to plug in a insert or
in line with an existing desk output. Wi-fi or other RF control.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 11/7/2015 2:50 PM, geoff wrote:
Call it "too lazy" if you like, but why not just walk out and do it
from there straight off ?

Yeah, why not? Set the level, walk out and listen to it. If it's OK,
leave it alone. If it's too loud or too soft, go back and adjust it.
Pretty soon you'll get the hang of setting the house level from the
mixer just by listening from that position. You'd be surprised at how
easy it really is.

Presumably that's the reason such functionality (plus much more, for
whatever that's worth) is standard fare in current higher-end consoles.

Nope, the reason it to mix from a remote position. You can walk around
the hall and if you find a spot where a particular instrument is too
weak or too loud, you can adjust it to sound right where you are, then
walk around some more and make sure you haven't screwed up the mix in
other places in the room. Another application is to be able to mix from
the house without taking up a few seats with equipment that can be sold
to a paying audience (the seats, not the equipment). Promoters really
like this.

Probably the most desirable-sounding application, though one that's
often mis-applied, is to let musicians mix their monitors from the
stage. A better version is that the engineer who knows something about
mixing monitors can take a mobile device on stage during a sound check
and get the monitors set up so that everyone is equally happy.

But just to adjust the volume of the mix remotely? You'd need a better
reason than "why not?" to get someone to make what you're dreaming
about. But then, probably someone already does, but maybe outside of
pro-audio circles so I and my esteemed colleagues here aren't likely to
have encountered it.

Maybe everybody is getting lazy, or lacks the skill to make an correct
all-encompassing judgement in one shot....

If they weren't so lazy, they'd take two shots if that's what they need.

My particular immediate case is an outdoor festival-type thing covering
a medium-sized park area, with wildly differing program which would
benefit from frequent level tweaking from 'out there'.

There's no excuse for not mixing a show like that from "out there." And
when you're mixing the show, you can control the overall volume. If you
can't set up a mixer "out there," this would be a good application for a
mixer with remote capability. But given that there are differences in
the program material, somebody has to mix it.

--
"Today's production equipment is IT based and cannot be operated without
a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be
operated without a passing knowledge of audio" - John Watkinson

Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Here's one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyes_H9zIc8

downloads.deusm.com/designnews/Gadget_Freak_RVC.pdf

http://www.designnews.com/author.asp...dfpLayout=blog

Whip one up when you get some time.

The problem that you're going to have with a system like this at an
outdoor festival is with operating range. Bluetooth or WiFi can't be
depended on for more than about 50 feet, and that's with the wind
blowing the ether in the right direction (and down hill, too). I have a
TASCAM recorder that has a WiFi remote control, and I find that about 30
feet is as far as I can get away from it with my phone. My guy at TASCAM
says that he's operated one across his warehouse at a distance of about
100 feet, but geez, if you can't walk 100 feet a couple of times to
check the level, you're too lazy.

--
"Today's production equipment is IT based and cannot be operated without
a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be
operated without a passing knowledge of audio" - John Watkinson

Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 8/11/2015 2:28 p.m., Mike Rivers wrote:
Here's one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyes_H9zIc8

downloads.deusm.com/designnews/Gadget_Freak_RVC.pdf

http://www.designnews.com/author.asp...dfpLayout=blog

Whip one up when you get some time.

Yeah, that's the one my broken TinyURL pointed to.

May well do when I've finished my Xmas projects from the last several
Xmasae ago !

Or just go out and buy a QU24 ....

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Angus Kerr Angus Kerr is offline

On Sunday, November 8, 2015 at 3:46:37 AM UTC+2, geoff wrote:
On 8/11/2015 2:28 p.m., Mike Rivers wrote:
Here's one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyes_H9zIc8

downloads.deusm.com/designnews/Gadget_Freak_RVC.pdf

http://www.designnews.com/author.asp...dfpLayout=blog

Whip one up when you get some time.

Yeah, that's the one my broken TinyURL pointed to.

May well do when I've finished my Xmas projects from the last several
Xmasae ago !

Or just go out and buy a QU24 ....

geoff

We've just bought a Behringer XR18.

Does everything via WiFi or network, with any device (Android or iPad or iPhone) or Linux, Windows, or iMac or Raspberry pi (!) computer as controller.

Nothing on the box, it sits on stage with XLR combo's in, and XLR's outs. On board effects, audio processing on every channel, 6 monitor mixes if you like, and mains. 16 mic pres with additional stereo inputs. Record entire multitrack via USB.

Does away with: snake, DI boxes etc.

Control with your phone, a tablet, each guy can adjust their own monitor mix. We paid about $800 for it.

Thanks to Mike for pointing us in this direction. We are going to love it.

-Angus.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff wrote:
On 8/11/2015 3:52 a.m., Mike Rivers wrote:

Or are you just too lazy to walk out and listen, decide if it's too loud
or too quiet (or even measure it - there are a number of SPL meter apps
these days are stable enough for reference even if they're not
accurately calibrated.

Call it "too lazy" if you like, but why not just walk out and do it
from there straight off ?

Presumably that's the reason such functionality (plus much more, for
whatever that's worth) is standard fare in current higher-end consoles.

Maybe everybody is getting lazy, or lacks the skill to make an correct
all-encompassing judgement in one shot....

My particular immediate case is an outdoor festival-type thing covering
a medium-sized park area, with wildly differing program which would
benefit from frequent level tweaking from 'out there'.

I am not sure that just being able to tweak overall levels is all that
useful. I think the key to not needing to do that is to try and get
uniform levels across the whole idea where the audience is, and I understand
that in a tent situation that can be very difficult. But delayed speakers
can help a whole lot, sometimes with more than one delay ring. Once you get
the thing tuned in properly you can walk around the site and have fairly
even levels across the area except possibly in a few spots where reflections
off the tent top cause big issues.

That's not to say that you shouldn't walk the hall now and then, but walking
the hall is not a substitute for getting even coverage in the first place.

The real problems come when the FOH position gets stuck in one of those
spots where reflections off the tent top are severe. In that case, though,
you not only can't believe overall levels but you can't believe the mix either.
That's a case when having complete control over the board from a remote
position is a win. However, putting the FOH position in a lousy place is a
political problem and not a technical one.

Volume controller on one of two pairs of speakers? [email protected] Tech 6 August 26th 06 08:09 PM
Volume Controller Brett Car Audio 9 February 5th 06 06:17 AM
Playing audio/video directly from computer through stereo/video system via WiFi [email protected] Tech 2 February 17th 05 10:33 AM
Nobody is talking about the OmniFi WiFi MP3 jukebox??? bobb Car Audio 10 February 10th 05 02:52 AM
PDA/Phone Remote for audio - Bluetooth or Wifi? eppy Tech 0 February 3rd 04 02:32 PM