liu

Default Record audio from an application

I'd like to record an online meeting running on IE. Since the audio is
not from Line-In or Microphone, I can just set the record to one of
these sources. I've tried mix-stereo, mix-mono, and aux but none of
them worked while trying to record from SoundForge.

I know some online meeting services provide the option to record the
session. Or, I can just use a microphone to aim it to the speaker to
record it. The quality is probably not very good. Besides these 2
options, what else can I do to record the audio from an application? So
far Huelix ScreenPlay is the only program I've captured the audio plus
screen, but the audio quality is pretty bad. Camtasia, SnagIt can only
capture audio from microphone.

Thanks for your help,

cpliu

Bonzi

maybe try getting a y splitter cable/adaptor and run it out of your
audio card. have one side of the y go to your speakers as it does now,
and the other y goes into your mic in jack on your audio card.

Ricky Hunt

"liu" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'd like to record an online meeting running on IE. Since the audio is
not from Line-In or Microphone, I can just set the record to one of
these sources. I've tried mix-stereo, mix-mono, and aux but none of
them worked while trying to record from SoundForge.

I know some online meeting services provide the option to record the
session. Or, I can just use a microphone to aim it to the speaker to
record it. The quality is probably not very good. Besides these 2
options, what else can I do to record the audio from an application? So
far Huelix ScreenPlay is the only program I've captured the audio plus
screen, but the audio quality is pretty bad. Camtasia, SnagIt can only
capture audio from microphone.

Thanks for your help,

What model soundcard do you have?

Mark D. Zacharias

"Ricky Hunt" wrote in message
"liu" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'd like to record an online meeting running on IE. Since the audio is
not from Line-In or Microphone, I can just set the record to one of
these sources. I've tried mix-stereo, mix-mono, and aux but none of
them worked while trying to record from SoundForge.

I know some online meeting services provide the option to record the
session. Or, I can just use a microphone to aim it to the speaker to
record it. The quality is probably not very good. Besides these 2
options, what else can I do to record the audio from an application? So
far Huelix ScreenPlay is the only program I've captured the audio plus
screen, but the audio quality is pretty bad. Camtasia, SnagIt can only
capture audio from microphone.

Thanks for your help,

What model soundcard do you have?

Total Recorder will record audio from whatever application is producing
sound on your computer. Not a free download, 10.00 as I recall, but a very
handy tool. Be sure to keep your registration key in a backed-up file
somewhere in case you ever need to re-install.

Also, if you do decide to use Total Recorder, it would be a good idea to
practice with it a few times so you're certain nothing goes wrong when the
time comes. TR does have a timer function as I recall.

Mark Z.

Mike Rivers

Mark D. Zacharias wrote:

Total Recorder will record audio from whatever application is producing
sound on your computer.

Yup, that's the tool for the job. It was about the best $12 I've ever
spent on software. It does, indeed, have a timer. I use it every
Saturday night to record an overnight bluegrass radio program that runs
from midnight until 6 AM, and then listen to it throughout the week.

There's a "Pro" version that costs more and is a little more flexible
when it comes to using the timer, and does some other things that you
probably don't need. I'd recommend starting with the basic version. It
has a recording function built in, and it gives you a choice of full
PCM (WAV) recording or MP3 compression at various ratios. You don't
need Sound Forge to record, but you'll need it if you want to edit the
recordings.

Also, if you do decide to use Total Recorder, it would be a good idea to
practice with it a few times so you're certain nothing goes wrong when the
time comes.

Very highly recommended. When recording from a streaming on-line source
(TR's designation for this is selecting "software" as the recording
source) you either have to start Total Recorder before starting the
on-line application or you have to start the on-line application before
starting Total Recorder, but I don't remember which. That's why you
should try it and sort this out before the Main Event.

Ty Ford

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 07:50:01 -0500, Mike Rivers wrote
(in article .com):

Mark D. Zacharias wrote:

[...]

Any Mac users with similar applications to Total Recorder?

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com

Dave Morrison

Mark D. Zacharias wrote:

[...]

Audio Hijack ($16) and Hijack Pro ($32) by Rogue Amoeba
(www.rogueamoeba.com)
Same sort of functionality allowing recording of any audio source playing
through the system. I use it a lot for grabbing audio clips off of DVD's for
a podcast that I produce.

dave

-- Ty Ford's equipment reviews, audio samples, rates and other
audiocentric

stuff are at www.tyford.com

BTW, any similar programs for catching streaming video?

Mark Z.

Specs

Any Mac users with similar applications to Total Recorder?

Ty Ford

Saw this: http://wiretap.en.softonic.com/ie/42077

And thought of you!

Ty Ford

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 08:46:14 -0500, Specs wrote
(in article ):

http://wiretap.en.softonic.com/ie/42077

Thanks!

Ty

stuff are at www.tyford.com

Mike Clayton

Works a treat - just tried it on a DVD and got a nice AIFF file.

Hi Ty - been out of circulation for a while - flat out with gigs and
work, little time for communicating with all and sundry!

Mike Clayton

Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro,rec.video.production
liu

I've tried Stream Down before. It does not always work but works most
of the time.