screentan

Default Centrino vs Pentium4-M Latest Opinions

What are users latest opinions on these two chips with regard to audio
applications on a laptop? I'm still in a quandry as to which one to go
for...
Peter Schneider

On 15 Oct 2003 12:56:35 -0700, (THX1138) wrote:

(screentan) wrote in message . com...
What are users latest opinions on these two chips with regard to audio
applications on a laptop? I'm still in a quandry as to which one to go
for...

Centrino is re-mark of a chip Intel failed to sell to automation
industries.
Things like automotive computers and other dedicated apps where
Motorola kicked their teeth in.

That being said the chip does will for apps. that need really long
battery life like ultra portables.

Sound production on a notebook is rudamentary at best and varies more
by the manufacturer then anything else.

For this kind of app you might want the multimedia extensions and
better CPU horsepower of the P4 based P4M or get an Apple...

I hate to be so direct, but the above is complete bull****. The Centrino
(Pentium-M) is by no means a by-product, it is a new design made specifically
for high performance portable designs. Does the poster have any references to
the fail-to-sell-to-automation-industries allegation?

It is generally accepted that a Centrino performs better than a Pentium 4 or 4-M
at the same clock frequency. Also, it has a bigger L2 cache which is regarded as
a good thing. Please see

http://www.upenn.edu/computing/provi...oprovider.html

for details. Quote: "Note that Pentium-M chips are _significantly_ higher in
performance than Mobile Pentium 4 chips at any given clock speed."

The "Centrino" should perform great for audio, and will produce less heat and
noise.

I myself use an Apple iBook (2001) 500 Mhz for location audio recording - it is
the quietest computer I've had. You'll be fine with a Centrino laptop if you'd
like to stay on the PC side. I would stay away from the noisy monsters with
desktop P4 CPUs.

Peter Schneider

THX1138

Peter Schneider wrote in message . ..
[...]

You say you use a Mac but you sound like an Intel shill...

Even Intel alluded to the fact that the Centrino was derived from
dedicated application Pentium 3's that had higher integration, lower
power usage et. al.

If you read back part of the program for the P3 was to make a sideline
chip for dedicated low power apps to compete with Motorola on these
front and it didn't pan out. Please look it up yourself...

It is generally accepted that a Centrino performs better than a Pentium 4 or 4-M
at the same clock frequency. Also, it has a bigger L2 cache which is regarded as
a good thing.

What Pentium 4M tops off a 1.7 gHz? That's the fastest a Centrino
goes right now...

The Pentium 4M is running at 3.2 gHz and even an Intel shill should
know that Intel recommends the Centrino or low power, long battery
life apps ( like tablets )and the Pentium 4M for desktop replacment
applications ( like the real world ).

Please see

http://www.upenn.edu/computing/provi...oprovider.html

for details. Quote: "Note that Pentium-M chips are _significantly_ higher in
performance than Mobile Pentium 4 chips at any given clock speed."

The "Centrino" should perform great for audio, and will produce less heat and
noise.

I myself use an Apple iBook (2001) 500 Mhz for location audio recording - it is
the quietest computer I've had. You'll be fine with a Centrino laptop if you'd
like to stay on the PC side. I would stay away from the noisy monsters with
desktop P4 CPUs.

That G4 500's gotta be chuggin along with Jaguar Bet you wish you'd
plugged for a Powerbook. Then again you can turn your iBook over a
fry eggs on it. But that's right, the plastic powerbook wannabe case
can't do that, just because it's silver does'nt mean its aluminum...

P4 M is a m o b i l e Pentium 4, that's what the M stands for Macboy

Peter Schneider

Wharfdale Opinions Dinsdale Audio Opinions 2 March 7th 04 09:12 AM
Opinions on Sub fr335tyl3r Car Audio 2 January 3rd 04 03:25 AM
T.C. Electronics Reverb 4000 - latest opinions? fred Pro Audio 0 August 27th 03 12:08 AM
latest issue of recording magazine xy Pro Audio 0 August 22nd 03 07:05 PM
Opinions on M&K 5.1 monitors Daryn Barry Pro Audio 0 August 8th 03 06:39 AM