Mon11

Default Correct Hookups??? HELP

OK. This is a fairly long description/question and I show extreme
appreciation to anyone who helps me with any of the questions/problems
I am having. Thanks in advance.

I have been recording for a little while on my Fostex FD-8 digital 8
track, which has 2 XLR inputs and an optical pipe. I recently
purchased both a Presonus MP20 preamp and an FMR Audio RNC (really
nice compressor) to enhance my sound. I need help trying to decide
the best way to run my cables, as well as the correct ones to purchase
(I will be going Planet Waves on most of them). It all seems simple
to some degree, but some of it is confusing me.

Below I will list links to the actual hookups on my gear to make
orientation and explanation easier:

8-Track: http://www.megaaudio.de/pdf/pdffiles/fostex/fd8.pdf
(Page 15)

Preamp: http://www.presonus.com/html/products/mp20.html

Compressor: http://www.fmraudio.com/panels.html

As of now, I only own one microphone - an ADK A-51 large condenser
(XLR). I use it for my vocals and acoustic guitar. I will be
purchasing a small condenser mic soon.

My current path: MIC--PREAMP XLR IN--PREAMP XLR OUT--RECORDER XLR
IN
-in running the compressor, I run 2 cables per channel (so, 1
channel for now): COMPRESSOR OUT--PREAMP INSERT RETURN--PREAMP
INSERT SEND--COMPRESSOR IN (loop)

This setup appears to be working correctly for me, however I have some
questions. First, the RNC documentation discusses the ability to use
only 1 TRS Cable per channel to send to the insert slot of a recorder,
etc. Without involving the preamp, I attempted this from the RNC
directly to my recorder. The recorder has an INSERT 8 and INSERT 7
slot; not a return/send for this (however, it also has auxillary
connections.) I attempted hooking a single TRS cable from both the IN
and OUT slots of the RNC to my recorder with no result. I could only
get it to work through the auxillary slots using 2 cables. The FD-8
manual briefly discusses using the INSERT slot specifically for
compressors. FMR has a more detailed description at
http://www.fmraudio.com/faq.html It goes into further detail by
clicking a link within the page. The diagram shows a single 1/4" TRS
on each end and says only IN/OUT for the RNC side (but doesn't the
actual slot, which they don't specify, matter?) I found that Planet
Waves' INSERT cables have a single 1/4" TRS cable on one end and dual
1/4" TRS cables on the other. Is this what I should be using perhaps?

Moving on. Perhaps now that I bring the preamp into play, it will
hopefully solve the insert problems. However, I am still unable to do
any single cable connections. The MP20 (preamp) uses RETURN/SEND.
REALLY IMPORTANT QUESTION: should I be hooking my compressor up to the
preamp directly or through the recorder? Also, should this 1-2 Insert
cable style such as the Planet Waves be used anywhere? And again, is
the one cable deal not going to work here?

Next, I don't really know how the MIX R/L OUTPUT is supposed to be
used. Am I supposed to run my XLR mic into my preamp as I already
have and instead of running the XLR out, run the MIX OUT to the XLR IN
channels on my recorder? Or should I not worry about the MIX OUT
until I get a second microphone?

Finally, what type of cables should I be using where. I've read about
PATCH, INSERT and BANTAM (TT) cables (specifically thos offered by
Planet Waves). Sorry if this all sounds novice to some of you, but I
just want to do things right. I appreciate all who have sacraficed
the time to read this and especially thank those who lend suggestions.
Raymond

(Mon11)
Date: 7/18/03 11:46 PM Eastern Daylight Time
wrote in Message-id:

My current path: MIC--PREAMP XLR IN--PREAMP XLR OUT--RECORDER XLR
IN
-in running the compressor, I run 2 cables per channel (so, 1
channel for now): COMPRESSOR OUT--PREAMP INSERT RETURN--PREAMP
INSERT SEND--COMPRESSOR IN (loop)

This is good, I always like to preamp first.

Waves' INSERT cables have a single 1/4" TRS cable on one end and dual 1/4"

TRS cables on the other. Is this what I should be using perhaps?

It depends on the device your using, I don't know about the RNC but many newer
pieces of gear have servobalanced conections (you should check to see what you
have). This means that you can use TRS or TS in the same female plug, if it
requries a TRS then you must use them.

Next, I don't really know how the MIX R/L OUTPUT is supposed to be
used.

I think this is your main Left/Right mix out for monitors/speakers.

Finally, what type of cables should I be using where. I've read about
PATCH, INSERT and BANTAM (TT) cables (specifically thos offered by
Planet Waves).

If you want a TT connection you can use it (I don't see any in your set-up) but
most guy's use 1/4" TRS's for patching.

correct box size for 10" pil Car Audio 1 March 1st 04 06:55 AM
how to choose correct size for 10" pil Car Audio 0 February 28th 04 08:23 AM
What qualifies as a good install, or a correct installation? timboritus Car Audio 10 February 26th 04 11:10 PM
Need Site with Info on Hookups for Hi Power Sub GJM Car Audio 1 December 12th 03 04:16 AM
Ancient Sony XR-120 hookups P Fotes Car Audio 4 September 5th 03 08:50 PM