America has a great new concert hall

Old September 12th 06, 05:51 AM posted to rec.audio.opinion,aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.pro
Robert Morein

Default America has a great new concert hall

In article , "Soundhaspriority"

http://www.nashvillesymphony.org/res/ssc_fact_sheet_10-31.pdf#search=%22>>>>>>>

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/15291303.htm for a

http://www.artec-usa.com/03_projects/performing_arts_venues/kimmel_cente>>>>>>>

> [...]

> regrettably.
>
> Jenn, Soundhaspriority, aka me, aka Bob Morein, actually resides a bit NW of
> Philadelphia, 72.07 miles from the WTC as the crow flies. I consider myself
> a "virtual", cultural resident of the Big Apple, having made it the center
> of my cultural affections many years ago. To compensate for the fact of not
> being an actual NYC resident, I did some research with a mapping program,
> DeLorme Topo 6.0. The WTC site is 4.10 miles from the intersection of 7th &
> 57th. That's about 21,000 feet. The towers were about 1400 feet high. From
> 7th & 57th, the towers reached about 3.6 degrees above the horizon. The
> towers were more closely in line with 5th Avenue, two avenues toward the
> east. So I doubt, and do not recall, that the towers would have been visible
> from the intersection.
>
> When I come out of Penn Station at 7th & 32nd, the Empire State building is
> only two avenues east on 33rd Street. Yet it cannot be seen, because nearer,
> but shorter buildings take up a much greater vertical angle.
>
> The view of the Towers I remember best is from the New Jersey Transit train
> as it approaches NYC from the south on the Amtrak Northeast Corridor. It
> passes over miles of wetlands, of marshes of bullrush barely capable of
> supporting a man and his dog (a quote, I can't remember from what), the same
> land described in the beginning of The Great Gatsby. From this vantage, the
> Twin Towers were a glorious symbol for the many foreign tourists who also
> take that train. If Chicago is "the city of broad shoulders", NYC was known
> as the city of skyscrapers and fast elevators. It was fun to play tour guide
> on that train.
>
> But now the towers are gone, anemically replaced by the Empire State, the
> Chrysler Building, and, I think, one more building in the financial district
> that I can't name. When the Towers stood, I had ambiguous feelings toward
> them. I never went inside. Crossing the WTC plaza, they affected me with
> inhuman scale, failing to warm the neighborhood, which relied still on
> decrepit old buildings on side streets to provide the amenities that make
> even a workday existence bearable.
>
> But now they are gone. I miss them the way I miss the other trademark
> aspirations to greatness that this country made before encountering the
> limits of growth. I'm not sure why. It brings to mind all the contradictions
> of being American: opportunities, some real, some virtual, some imaginary.
> Patriotism that tries to imply kinship with strangers, yet cities full of
> neighborhoods in which I cannot walk. Usenet newsgroups of vicious, hostile
> people. Invitations to kindness, or evil. Real heroes who don't know they
> are, and people who imagine themselve such.
>
> On a day like this, I define myself by the illusions I choose to keep, the
> hopes I cherish, and willing blindness toward omnipresent evil.

Sorry guys, forgery.

Robert Morein
Shop "N Bag, Penn

Old September 13th 06, 06:42 AM posted to rec.audio.opinion,aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.pro
bassett

"Robert Morein" > wrote in message
.. .
> [...]

>> even a workday existence bearable.
>>
>> But now they are gone. I miss them the way I miss the other trademark
>> aspirations to greatness that this country made before encountering the
>> limits of growth. I'm not sure why. It brings to mind all the
>> contradictions
>> of being American: opportunities, some real, some virtual, some
>> imaginary.
>> Patriotism that tries to imply kinship with strangers, yet cities full of
>> neighborhoods in which I cannot walk. Usenet newsgroups of vicious,
>> hostile
>> people. Invitations to kindness, or evil. Real heroes who don't know they
>> are, and people who imagine themselve such.
>>
>> On a day like this, I define myself by the illusions I choose to keep,
>> the
>> hopes I cherish, and willing blindness toward omnipresent evil.

Churches will no doubt be along anytime soon, to correct your mistakes, and
give everyone his expert opinion, on all the above.

Old September 13th 06, 07:45 AM posted to rec.audio.opinion,aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.pro
Iain Churches

"bassett" > wrote in message

> [...]

>>> Patriotism that tries to imply kinship with strangers, yet cities full
>>> of
>>> neighborhoods in which I cannot walk. Usenet newsgroups of vicious,
>>> hostile
>>> people. Invitations to kindness, or evil. Real heroes who don't know
>>> they
>>> are, and people who imagine themselve such.
>>>
>>> On a day like this, I define myself by the illusions I choose to keep,
>>> the
>>> hopes I cherish, and willing blindness toward omnipresent evil.
>>>
>>> Bob Morein
>>> (215) 646-4894

>> Sorry guys, forgery.
>>
>> Robert Morein
>> Shop "N Bag, Penn

> Churches will no doubt be along anytime soon, to correct your mistakes,
> and give everyone his expert opinion, on all the above.

Sorry Bassett. Can't oblige. I thought it an excellent and thought-
inspiring thread.

I have worked on recording projects at the Concertgebouw
on several occasions. A wonderful concert hall with fine-sounding
organ.

Unfortunately, I have never been to Boston's Symphony Hall:-(
Maybe one day:-)

I notice, Bassett, that you had no observations to make on
what Robert, Jen, Dave and Harry wrote above. So why
did you bother to post at all? :-((

Iain

Old September 13th 06, 03:53 PM posted to rec.audio.opinion,aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.pro
Scott Fraser

<<>> If I looked down 7th Ave (away from Central Park, Lincoln Center,
etc,
>> toward the Broadway theater area), would the sky there been filled with
>> the WTC towers? >>

No. They were further east. I can tell you from personal experience
that had you stood in the middle of 7th Ave in Midtown looking downtown
on September 11th, one could not directly see the smoke plumes, nor,
later the dust cloud. There was a darkness at the end of the island,
just a general haze, but there are too many tall buildings closer in to
have a clear view that far downtown.

<<Just trying to get my bearings. I had such a
>> wonderful NYC trip, but time didn't allow for a "Ground Zero" visit,
>> regrettably. >>

Well, it will be a long time before anything gets built there, so you
can check again in the future. It's moving.

Scott Fraser

Old September 15th 06, 11:49 AM posted to rec.audio.opinion,aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.pro
bassett

"Iain Churches" > wrote in message
. ..

> "bassett" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Robert Morein" > wrote in message
>> .. .
>>> In article ,
>>> "Soundhaspriority"

>>> http://www.nashvillesymphony.org/res/ssc_fact_sheet_10-31.pdf#search=%22>>>>>>>

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/15291303.htm for a

>>> http://www.artec-usa.com/03_projects/performing_arts_venues/kimmel_cente>>>>>>>

>>> Sorry guys, forgery.
>>>
>>> Robert Morein
>>> Shop "N Bag, Penn

>> Churches will no doubt be along anytime soon, to correct your mistakes,
>> and give everyone his expert opinion, on all the above.

> Sorry Bassett. Can't oblige. I thought it an excellent and thought-
> inspiring thread.
>
> I have worked on recording projects at the Concertgebouw
> on several occasions. A wonderful concert hall with fine-sounding
> organ.
>
> Unfortunately, I have never been to Boston's Symphony Hall:-(
> Maybe one day:-)
>
> I notice, Bassett, that you had no observations to make on
> what Robert, Jen, Dave and Harry wrote above. So why
> did you bother to post at all? :-((
>
> Iain

Predictable as always,, where would we all be without the know-all churches
[he doesn't rate a capital letter to his monica ] giving his valuable
opinion on everything. All correct and in it's place.. How bloody boring.

Why would anyone want to talk about the sewer called Americia, Just don't
remind me. been there, done that. and there woman can't give a good head
job to save there lives. But on reflection, there all a lot like you
churches.. there also into self-promotion.

bassett

Old September 16th 06, 08:32 AM posted to rec.audio.opinion,aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.pro
paul packer

On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 20:49:15 +1000, "bassett"
> wrote:

>"Iain Churches" > wrote in message
>>
>> "bassett" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Robert Morein" > wrote in message
>>> .. .

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/15291303.htm for a

>>> Churches will no doubt be along anytime soon, to correct your mistakes,
>>> and give everyone his expert opinion, on all the above.

>> Sorry Bassett. Can't oblige. I thought it an excellent and thought-
>> inspiring thread.
>>
>> I have worked on recording projects at the Concertgebouw
>> on several occasions. A wonderful concert hall with fine-sounding
>> organ.
>>
>> Unfortunately, I have never been to Boston's Symphony Hall:-(
>> Maybe one day:-)
>>
>> I notice, Bassett, that you had no observations to make on
>> what Robert, Jen, Dave and Harry wrote above. So why
>> did you bother to post at all? :-((
>>
>> Iain
>>

>Predictable as always,, where would we all be without the know-all churches
>[he doesn't rate a capital letter to his monica ] giving his valuable
>opinion on everything. All correct and in it's place.. How bloody boring.
>
>Why would anyone want to talk about the sewer called Americia, Just don't
>remind me. been there, done that. and there woman can't give a good head
>job to save there lives. But on reflection, there all a lot like you
>churches.. there also into self-promotion.
>
> bassett

You've gone downhill in the last few months, bassett, and there wasn't
a lot of room to manoevre in the first place.
Old September 16th 06, 09:42 AM posted to rec.audio.opinion,aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.pro
bassett

"paul packer" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 20:49:15 +1000, "bassett"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Iain Churches" > wrote in message
t...

>>> "bassett" > wrote in message
>>> Sorry Bassett. Can't oblige. I thought it an excellent and thought-
>>> inspiring thread.
>>>
>>> I have worked on recording projects at the Concertgebouw
>>> on several occasions. A wonderful concert hall with fine-sounding
>>> organ.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, I have never been to Boston's Symphony Hall:-(
>>> Maybe one day:-)
>>>
>>> I notice, Bassett, that you had no observations to make on
>>> what Robert, Jen, Dave and Harry wrote above. So why
>>> did you bother to post at all? :-((
>>>
>>> Iain
>>>

>>Predictable as always,, where would we all be without the know-all
>>churches
>>[he doesn't rate a capital letter to his monica ] giving his valuable
>>opinion on everything. All correct and in it's place.. How bloody
>>boring.
>>
>>Why would anyone want to talk about the sewer called Americia, Just don't
>>remind me. been there, done that. and there woman can't give a good head
>>job to save there lives. But on reflection, there all a lot like you
>>churches.. there also into self-promotion.
>>

>> bassett

> You've gone downhill in the last few months, bassett, and there wasn't
> a lot of room to manoevre in the first place.

Yes I know, it's the company I have been keeping, on these-er news groups.
But not to worry Paul, even you left the U out of manoeuver, curse those
typo's.
bassett

Old September 16th 06, 11:03 AM posted to rec.audio.opinion,aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.pro
roughplanet

"Jenn" > wrote in message...

Soundhaspriority wrote:

http://www.nashvillesymphony.org/res...pdf#search=%22

<snip further description for the sake of brevity>

>>> Sorry Bassett. Can't oblige. I thought it an excellent and thought-
>>> inspiring thread.
>>> I have worked on recording projects at the Concertgebouw
>>> on several occasions. A wonderful concert hall with fine-sounding
>>> organ.
>>> Unfortunately, I have never been to Boston's Symphony Hall:-(
>>> Maybe one day:-)
>>> I notice, Bassett, that you had no observations to make on what Robert,
>>> Jen, Dave and Harry wrote above. So why did you bother to post at
>>> all? :-((

>>Predictable as always,, where would we all be without the know-all
>>churches [he doesn't rate a capital letter to his monica ] giving his
>>valuable
>>opinion on everything. All correct and in it's place.. How bloody
>>boring.
>>Why would anyone want to talk about the sewer called Americia, Just don't

>>head >>job to save there lives. But on reflection, there all a lot like
>>you
>>churches.. there also into self-promotion.

> You've gone downhill in the last few months, bassett, and there wasn't
> a lot of room to manoevre in the first place.

Yep, I'm afraid bassett's gone to the dogs. And I disagree most vehemently
about American women (aaaaaaaaaaah....... what a night).

ruff

Old September 16th 06, 11:49 AM posted to rec.audio.opinion,aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.pro
paul packer

On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 04:45:16 -0400, "Soundhaspriority"
> wrote:

>> You've gone downhill in the last few months, bassett, and there wasn't
>> a lot of room to manoevre in the first place.

>By which it might be implied that he is currently in an underground pipe
>approximately three feet in diameter.

Or should be.
Old September 16th 06, 10:51 PM posted to rec.audio.opinion,aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.pro
Bob Cain

roughplanet wrote:

> Yep, I'm afraid bassett's gone to the dogs. And I disagree most vehemently
> about American women (aaaaaaaaaaah....... what a night).

But the youngn's (under 50 in my frame of reference) walk and move
like men. The emulation doesn't stop there either.

When I go to Paris I am deeply moved by what they think comprises the
feminine. :-)

Bob
--

"Things should be described as simply as possible, but no simpler."

A. Einstein