Crazy market saturation!

Old January 21st 04, 08:11 AM
CatalystX

Default Crazy market saturation!

Having just recently gotten serious about car audio, I performed my
usual routine of learning a new subject through intensive research and
data collection. What I found really surprised me, being an amazingly
flooded market with over a hundred brands for each component. How can
this many companies succeed in the current economy?

It also makes choosing products a serious headache for the informed
purchaser, I've already spend far too many hours comparing them and am
still torn between over a dozen options.

To illustrate this insanity, I've included the list of 105 amplifier
brands I compiled with only a moderately thorough search. Some are
obviously crap quality, but they still sell enough to be in business.
What do you guys think of this situation? If you were to boil them all
down to your favorite 20 companies, which would you choose?

Aaron

Absolute
Adcom
a/d/s
Alpine
American Bass
American Pro
Ample Audio
ARC Audio
Audiobahn
Audiobank
Audiopipe
Audison
Audiotec Fischer (Brax & Helix)
Audiovox (Prestige, Rampage, SPS)
Autotek
Avionixx
Bazooka
Becker
Blaupunkt
BM Audio Labs (Boschmann)
Boss
Boston Acoustics
Butler Audio
Cadence
Cerwin Vega
Clarion
Concept
Coustic
Crossfire
Crunch
Crystal Mobile Sound
Cyclone
Debezt Audio (Discontinued?)
DHD Power Cruiser
Diamond Audio
Diesel
Digital Audio
Directed Audio (DEI)
DLS
Dual
Earthquake Sound
Eclipse
Emerson
Esoteric Audio
Fusion
Genesis
GS Designs (Discontinued?)
Harrison Labs
Hart Professional
Hertz
HiFonics
Hollywood Sound Labs
Infinity
Interfire
JBL
JL Audio
JVC
Jensen
Kenwood
Kicker
Kole Audio
Kove Audio
L.A. Sound
Lanzar
Legacy Audio (Discontinued?)
Lightning Audio
Linear Power
Logic Soundlab
MA Audio
Massive Audio
McIntosh
Memphis Car Audio
Mobile Authority (Thump!)
MTX
Nakamichi
Obcon
Orion
Performance Teknique
Phoenix Gold
Pioneer
Planet Audio
Power Acoustik
Poweramper
Precision Power (PPI)
Profile
Pyle
Pyramid
Reactor
Resonant Engineering
Rockford Fosgate
Rockwood
Sinfoni
Sony
Soundstream
SPL
Swiss Audio
Ultimate
US Acoustics
US Amps
Viper Audio
Visonik
Völfenhag
Xtant
Zapco
Zenas Audio
Old January 21st 04, 09:00 AM
sanitarium

CatalystX wrote:

> Having just recently gotten serious about car audio, I performed my
>usual routine of learning a new subject through intensive research and
>data collection. What I found really surprised me, being an amazingly
>flooded market with over a hundred brands for each component. How can
>this many companies succeed in the current economy?

Im no business expert... I have a hunch the mark up on car audio
amplifiers is huge (generally). Many contract mass fabrication houses
around the world to stuff components for a very small fraction of the
retail asking prices.

I dont think Legacy or G/S are discontinued, someone please correct me ?

My favs:
Hifonics VIII amps for highs and midbass, Crunch V-600 for sub-bass. Pics:

http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...68_26_full.jpg
http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...8_107_full.jpg

Odin PCB:
http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...68_71_full.jpg

Vulcan PCB:
http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...68_72_full.jpg

V-600 and PCB
http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...68_95_full.jpg
http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...68_70_full.jpg
http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...68_63_full.jpg

Honorable mention, Crunch V-150 Bought this for $12 on ebay :~)
http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...68_62_full.jpg
http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...68_61_full.jpg

Old January 21st 04, 10:58 AM
cyrus

In article > ,
CatalystX > wrote:

> Aaron

i'd go with anything on this list...

--
cyrus

*coughcasaucedoprodigynetcough*

Old January 21st 04, 03:19 PM
Mark Zarella

> How can
> this many companies succeed in the current economy?

I dunno. There's a sucker born every minute?

Old January 21st 04, 07:22 PM
Shane Metzler

Just out of curiosity, Why did you leave, Rockford Fosgate off the list?

Thanks,

Shane

Old January 21st 04, 08:11 PM
wicked1

I would leave them off my list too! My old RF amps were great new ones like
to let the magic smoke out.

Old January 21st 04, 08:28 PM
Mark Zarella

That's surprising. I haven't seen an incredible amount of faulty RF amps,
even considering that they're one of the biggest sellers (if not the
biggest).

Old January 21st 04, 08:48 PM
wicked1

I had 1 that went up in smoke twice while it was under warranty. I sold it
thereafter. I have had a few friends that have had the same thing
happen.They did have great warranty service though.

Old January 21st 04, 08:53 PM
Mark Zarella

> I had 1 that went up in smoke twice while it was under warranty. I sold it
> thereafter. I have had a few friends that have had the same thing
> happen.They did have great warranty service though.

Hmmm, I'm inclined to think that's an aberration. I just haven't seen it in
this group or elsewhere very often as a problem. And considering the volume
they do, I would think that we'd hear more about it. They're not cheaply
made. At least no more than most amps on the market.

Old January 21st 04, 11:00 PM
wicked1

My amp was a power 800a2. I ran it at 4 ohm load bridged full power for 3-4
hrs a day but yes twice it happened.I think my friends was an 1100a2. Like I
said great warranty work and customer support but I wont buy them again.
Same goes for earthquake now. Nothing but trouble.