CatalystX

Default Crazy market saturation!

Having just recently gotten serious about car audio, I performed my
usual routine of learning a new subject through intensive research and
data collection. What I found really surprised me, being an amazingly
flooded market with over a hundred brands for each component. How can
this many companies succeed in the current economy?

It also makes choosing products a serious headache for the informed
purchaser, I've already spend far too many hours comparing them and am
still torn between over a dozen options.

To illustrate this insanity, I've included the list of 105 amplifier
brands I compiled with only a moderately thorough search. Some are
obviously crap quality, but they still sell enough to be in business.
What do you guys think of this situation? If you were to boil them all
down to your favorite 20 companies, which would you choose?

Aaron

Absolute
Adcom
a/d/s
Alpine
American Bass
American Pro
Ample Audio
ARC Audio
Audiobahn
Audiobank
Audiopipe
Audison
Audiotec Fischer (Brax & Helix)
Audiovox (Prestige, Rampage, SPS)
Autotek
Avionixx
Bazooka
Becker
Blaupunkt
BM Audio Labs (Boschmann)
Boss
Boston Acoustics
Butler Audio
Cadence
Cerwin Vega
Clarion
Concept
Coustic
Crossfire
Crunch
Crystal Mobile Sound
Cyclone
Debezt Audio (Discontinued?)
DHD Power Cruiser
Diamond Audio
Diesel
Digital Audio
Directed Audio (DEI)
DLS
Dual
Earthquake Sound
Eclipse
Emerson
Esoteric Audio
Fusion
Genesis
GS Designs (Discontinued?)
Harrison Labs
Hart Professional
Hertz
HiFonics
Hollywood Sound Labs
Infinity
Interfire
JBL
JL Audio
JVC
Jensen
Kenwood
Kicker
Kole Audio
Kove Audio
L.A. Sound
Lanzar
Legacy Audio (Discontinued?)
Lightning Audio
Linear Power
Logic Soundlab
MA Audio
Massive Audio
McIntosh
Memphis Car Audio
Mobile Authority (Thump!)
MTX
Nakamichi
Obcon
Orion
Performance Teknique
Phoenix Gold
Pioneer
Planet Audio
Power Acoustik
Poweramper
Precision Power (PPI)
Profile
Pyle
Pyramid
Reactor
Resonant Engineering
Rockford Fosgate
Rockwood
Sinfoni
Sony
Soundstream
SPL
Swiss Audio
Ultimate
US Acoustics
US Amps
Viper Audio
Visonik
Völfenhag
Xtant
Zapco
Zenas Audio
sanitarium

CatalystX wrote:

Having just recently gotten serious about car audio, I performed my
usual routine of learning a new subject through intensive research and
data collection. What I found really surprised me, being an amazingly
flooded market with over a hundred brands for each component. How can
this many companies succeed in the current economy?

Im no business expert... I have a hunch the mark up on car audio
amplifiers is huge (generally). Many contract mass fabrication houses
around the world to stuff components for a very small fraction of the
retail asking prices.

I dont think Legacy or G/S are discontinued, someone please correct me ?

My favs:
Hifonics VIII amps for highs and midbass, Crunch V-600 for sub-bass. Pics:

http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...68_26_full.jpg
http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...8_107_full.jpg

Odin PCB:
http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...68_71_full.jpg

Vulcan PCB:
http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...68_72_full.jpg

V-600 and PCB
http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...68_95_full.jpg
http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...68_70_full.jpg
http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...68_63_full.jpg

Honorable mention, Crunch V-150 Bought this for $12 on ebay :~)
http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...68_62_full.jpg
http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...68_61_full.jpg

[...]

cyrus

In article ,
CatalystX wrote:

Aaron

i'd go with anything on this list...

a/d/s
Alpine
ARC Audio

--
cyrus

*coughcasaucedoprodigynetcough*

Mark Zarella

How can
this many companies succeed in the current economy?

I dunno. There's a sucker born every minute?

Shane Metzler

Just out of curiosity, Why did you leave, Rockford Fosgate off the list?

Thanks,

Shane
"cyrus" wrote in message
CatalystX wrote:

[...]

wicked1

I had 1 that went up in smoke twice while it was under warranty. I sold it
thereafter. I have had a few friends that have had the same thing
happen.They did have great warranty service though.

"cyrus" wrote in message
CatalystX wrote:

[...]

Mark Zarella

I had 1 that went up in smoke twice while it was under warranty. I sold it
thereafter. I have had a few friends that have had the same thing
happen.They did have great warranty service though.

Hmmm, I'm inclined to think that's an aberration. I just haven't seen it in
this group or elsewhere very often as a problem. And considering the volume
they do, I would think that we'd hear more about it. They're not cheaply
made. At least no more than most amps on the market.

wicked1

My amp was a power 800a2. I ran it at 4 ohm load bridged full power for 3-4
hrs a day but yes twice it happened.I think my friends was an 1100a2. Like I
said great warranty work and customer support but I wont buy them again.
Same goes for earthquake now. Nothing but trouble.

"Mark Zarella" wrote in message
I had 1 that went up in smoke twice while it was under warranty. I sold

it
thereafter. I have had a few friends that have had the same thing
happen.They did have great warranty service though.

Hmmm, I'm inclined to think that's an aberration. I just haven't seen it

in
this group or elsewhere very often as a problem. And considering the

volume
they do, I would think that we'd hear more about it. They're not cheaply
made. At least no more than most amps on the market.

TheBIessedDead

Hmmm, I'm inclined to think that's an aberration. I just haven't seen it in
this group or elsewhere very often as a problem. And considering the volume
they do, I would think that we'd hear more about it. They're not cheaply
made. At least no more than most amps on the market.

Around here they are certainly overpriced, but I've ran a couple pretty hard
and never had a problem with em.

Nick
Ben Rakestraw

I remember considering that crunch amplifer long ago. Does it sound good at
all (SQ wise), or just cheap power? Think it really puts out the RMS
figures it claims?

Ben

"sanitarium" wrote in message

CatalystX wrote:

[...]

Pug Fugley

"Ben Rakestraw" wrote in message
I remember considering that crunch amplifer long ago. Does it sound good

at
all (SQ wise), or just cheap power? Think it really puts out the RMS
figures it claims?

According to the "experts" in this newsgroup, any $49 amp sound identical to
any $5000 amp so it does not matter.

I know, I know. Zarella and Vina can be hard-headed...but sheesh. A little
common sense would do them some good.

Mark Zarella

According to the "experts" in this newsgroup, any $49 amp sound identical
any $5000 amp so it does not matter.

Even though you have our arguments wrong, at least you know your place.

Paul Vina

When you say "full power" do you mean that the gain was all the way up? If
so that's what did it, user error. Did they readjust the gain when they
repaired it? The usually do if it's all the way up when they get one.

Paul Vina

"wicked1" wrote in message
[...]

Mark Zarella

When you say "full power" do you mean that the gain was all the way up?
If
so that's what did it, user error. Did they readjust the gain when they
repaired it? The usually do if it's all the way up when they get one.

We already know about wicked's listening habits. Do you really need to ask
this?

wicked1

no I meant full power as max volume without distorting my subs. It was
hooked to 2 kicker 12's sealed 1.25 cubes.I dont clip the hell outta my
amps. Ive only blown 2 subs before and that was a brutus 1500 on 2 kicker
compvrs.I got carried away showing off to my friends with the bass knob.

"wicked1" wrote in message
[...]

cyrus

In article ,
"Shane Metzler" wrote:

Just out of curiosity, Why did you leave, Rockford Fosgate off the list?

Thanks,

Shane

no reason.. i was really impressed by my punch 60ix.

--
cyrus

*coughcasaucedoprodigynetcough*

John Durbin

that's "a/d/s/", if you please.

JD
if I had a nickel for every time the last slash got left of our logo...

CatalystX wrote:

[...]

sanitarium

IMHO it sounds very good as a sub-bass amp. Never tried it on the
higher freq's. I dont have much to bench mark it with though. To my
ears it probably doesn't sound that different from the Earthquake
PA-2300 I had eons ago. But then again my subs are different now versus
then.

IMHO its good solid power.

Toss out the mfg specs though. They spec 1Kw bridged into 4 ohms. They
do about 815x1 into 4 ohms, slightly more into 2 ohms mono.

I got these for $70 each used in 9/10 on ebay. So IMHO its a good used
bargain.
So far they have been reliable too.

Garrett

[...]

Masterson

The best part of this thread is........

the OP is talking about Markey saturation of amplifiers
and a/d/s/ doesn't even make amps.........anymore.

that's "a/d/s/", if you please.

To illustrate this insanity, I've included the list of 105 amplifier
brands I compiled with only a moderately thorough search. Some are
obviously crap quality, but they still sell enough to be in business.
What do you guys think of this situation? If you were to boil them all
down to your favorite 20 companies, which would you choose?

Absolute
Adcom
a/d/s
Alpine
American Bass
American Pro

Masterson

Default Correction

The best part of this thread is........

the OP is talking about market saturation of amplifiers
and a/d/s/ doesn't even make amps.........anymore.

that's "a/d/s/", if you please.

To illustrate this insanity, I've included the list of 105 amplifier
brands I compiled with only a moderately thorough search. Some are
obviously crap quality, but they still sell enough to be in business.
What do you guys think of this situation? If you were to boil them all
down to your favorite 20 companies, which would you choose?

Absolute
Adcom
a/d/s
Alpine
American Bass
American Pro

Masterson

OMG ....

Paul....you are usually much more calm.

Ummmmm......I was at CES...talking to DEI, and Karen Metros (VP)
and they both told me no amps. There were no amps displayed.

a/d/s/ has only two 3 series speakers, two 2 series speakers, and four subs
in the line up....

Sorry this upsets you......it upsets me also.

PS....I cant find anywhere where JD said anything about new amps.
Help me out.....where?

WTF are you babbling about? Who told you they weren't making amps

anymore?
Good old JD has already let us know they have some new a/d/s/ amps coming

The best part of this thread is........

the OP is talking about market saturation of amplifiers
and a/d/s/ doesn't even make amps.........anymore.

Paul Vina

That was my bad, I had a rough day and I was venting. It was a series of
emails between me and JD, but I could have misread it, we talked about all
of their product lines and what was going to be coming out.

Still bummed about it though. I really like a/d/s/ amps.

Sorry about the venting.

Paul Vina

"Masterson" wrote in message
OMG ....

Paul....you are usually much more calm.

Ummmmm......I was at CES...talking to DEI, and Karen Metros (VP)
and they both told me no amps. There were no amps displayed.

a/d/s/ has only two 3 series speakers, two 2 series speakers, and four

subs
in the line up....

Sorry this upsets you......it upsets me also.

PS....I cant find anywhere where JD said anything about new amps.
Help me out.....where?

WTF are you babbling about? Who told you they weren't making amps

anymore?
Good old JD has already let us know they have some new a/d/s/ amps

coming

The best part of this thread is........

the OP is talking about market saturation of amplifiers
and a/d/s/ doesn't even make amps.........anymore.

Tha Ghee

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
That was my bad, I had a rough day and I was venting. It was a series of
emails between me and JD, but I could have misread it, we talked about all
of their product lines and what was going to be coming out.

Still bummed about it though. I really like a/d/s/ amps.

Sorry about the venting.

Paul Vina

it's OK PV do you need a smile??

TheBIessedDead

I need my wife to get back from the ****ing desert.

Yikes, that must be tough Paul. While I enjoy a day or two here and there away
from my wife... I don't know how I'd handle an extended period of time.

Nick
Paul Vina

That's the life of a dual military family. Luckily my squadron doesn't
deploy since we are a training squadron for other AMMO troops so that cuts
down on the time apart, but being gone for 4 months every year sucks balls.
BUT, I wouldn't give it up for anything. I love what I do and there is a
certain amount of pride that goes with it as well. One of my uncles was an
FBI agent, another is the Illinois State Fire Marshall, my dad was a career
Air Force man and my wife and I are both in and every time we get together
we have a ton of cool stories to tell. But sometimes I do miss my days in
retail. But mostly I don't.

Paul Vina

Paul Vina

"TheBIessedDead" wrote in message
I need my wife to get back from the ****ing desert.

Yikes, that must be tough Paul. While I enjoy a day or two here and there

away
from my wife... I don't know how I'd handle an extended period of time.

Nick

TheBIessedDead

That's the life of a dual military family. Luckily my squadron doesn't
deploy since we are a training squadron for other AMMO troops so that cuts
down on the time apart, but being gone for 4 months every year sucks balls.
BUT, I wouldn't give it up for anything. I love what I do and there is a
certain amount of pride that goes with it as well. One of my uncles was an
FBI agent, another is the Illinois State Fire Marshall, my dad was a career
Air Force man and my wife and I are both in and every time we get together
we have a ton of cool stories to tell. But sometimes I do miss my days in
retail. But mostly I don't.

There is alot of military in my family, so I know what its like. My younger
brother has missed 3/4's of his first childs 2 years because he's been gone. I
know he has a rough time of it, but at the same time he absolutely LOVES his
job. I guess like anything, its a trade off. Gotta work and provide for the
family, yet at the same time you want to spend as much time as possible with
them.

On a side note, I always thought that being in a dual military family would be
a great way to go. Talk about great oppurtunities there.

My wife is still considering the military, and I certainly wouldn't be
dissapointed if she joined.

Nick
Paul Vina

There are definite benefits. Healthcare anywhere in the world is a very
nice thing to have. Not to mention the possibility of living in some of the
most beautiful places in the world.

[...]

TheBIessedDead

There are definite benefits. Healthcare anywhere in the world is a very
nice thing to have. Not to mention the possibility of living in some of the
most beautiful places in the world.

As someone with no health benefits at all right now, I REALLY envy the military
health plan.

Only problem with living anywhere is that I'm about to start an apprenticeship
in the next few months at a shipyard that does contract work for the Navy...
And I'd be limited to living places where I could do that sort of work. Since
I'd be making more, at least more cash per year, I'd want to make sure we could
work it.

Nick
TheBIessedDead

or as my best friend is right now in the air force stuck in Korea and after
that Guam.

Yeah, I have a brother in the Army doing time in Korea, and my brother in the
Air Force is heading over there in a week. Just part of the job I guess. The
one in the Air Force gets base preference when he finishes his year, which is
why he volunteered. He wanted Japan, and now he'll get it.

Nick
Paul Vina

It's always nice when you actually get your follow-on after volunteering for
Korea. The nice thing is, there are usually so many people volunteering for
it some people will go their whole career without ever going to Korea. Also
you have to give at 4 choices of bases with a slot opening around the time
your Korea tour is up and they guarantee one of those 4. It's not automatic
to get the first choice on the list.

Paul Vina

"TheBIessedDead" wrote in message
or as my best friend is right now in the air force stuck in Korea and

after
that Guam.

Yeah, I have a brother in the Army doing time in Korea, and my brother in

the
Air Force is heading over there in a week. Just part of the job I guess.

The
one in the Air Force gets base preference when he finishes his year, which

is
why he volunteered. He wanted Japan, and now he'll get it.

Nick

Tha Ghee

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
I need my wife to get back from the ****ing desert.

Paul Vina

that would make me up set also. It all makes sense now.

Tha Ghee

"wicked1" wrote in message
or as my best friend is right now in the air force stuck in Korea and

after
that Guam.

yeah I know what you mean my friends are stuck in Hawaii, and then
Philippines.