#1   Report Post  
Posted to rec.audio.tech
external usenet poster

Default Repairing/rebuilding speakers

I also picked up a pair (dec 2012) of these at a thrift store (any chance you re-gifted tham and I found yours?) I purchased because the cabinets (boxes) were very heavy and appeared well made. Mine also had bad surrounds on the woofers.

I have previously had very good results with just "throwing" a new woofer from parts express or "Electronix" into the cabinets of various brands of old speakers. The speaker's crossover as well as cabinet normally set the limits for the woofers, and as long as the new woofer has a range that exceeds the crossover point (most do) it should work pretty well. Also consider what you really expect from a thrift shop speaker, but I have usually been very happy with the performance of most, and have found that several basically unknown brands actually made excellent speakers. A properly designed cabinet damps as well as enhances the woofer. It is my opinion that the performance of the woofer is much more dependant on the cabinet than the driver. The midrange and tweeter drivers are actually more difficult to replace with a generic unit than the woofer, and care should be taken if replacing the Mid or tw.

Buy a woofer rated between 4 and 10 ohms, 8 will likely be perfect. Don't pay too much for it, for the model 123 speakers, keep it under $30 each for the woofers, I think you will like the results.