RoKKo

Default Was Rode NT5 and Rode NT2 moisture problems...

A month ago i began a thread "complaining" about the unpredictable
behavior of "some" of these mics (Rode NT5 & NT2) in locations with
high relative humidity.

I think i must retract at least regarding the NT5s. I thought the
problem was the capsule being extremely moisture sensitive. I was
wrong. Nothing to do with the capsule itself but with the contact
components between the capsule and the body. Cleaning with alcohol -
as with most similar modular mics it seems - cured the problem. They
have been working perfectly since then. Cant say the same of my
C451E+CK1 which membrane is actually damaged...(no cleaning will bring
my capsule back to life).

NT2's construction is different from what i expected. The Capsule
(including switches and grill) is actually plugged into a 3 pin
socket. I dont know if this is common. I've taken a look inside other
LD mics and usually wires coming from capsules are soldered to an
input point in the boards. I was wondering if this contacts will
suffer just as much as within a modular system. I've carefully
"cleaned" NT2's membranes just with compressed air...well to some
extent at least, and cleaned capsule's (3) pins with alcohol. Now its
working a bit better... but still goes mad if humidity is too high.
I was wondering if the Behringer B2 is constructed in the same
way...they're very cheap and maybe i could use the complete capsule as
a replacement for the NT2s one... i mean just if its constructed in
the same way (no soldering should be required) and quality is similar.

That's it.

Regards

Rocco Flores Oneto
Richard Freeman

"RoKKo" wrote in message
m...
A month ago i began a thread "complaining" about the unpredictable
behavior of "some" of these mics (Rode NT5 & NT2) in locations with
high relative humidity.

I think i must retract at least regarding the NT5s. I thought the
problem was the capsule being extremely moisture sensitive. I was
wrong. Nothing to do with the capsule itself but with the contact
components between the capsule and the body. Cleaning with alcohol -
as with most similar modular mics it seems - cured the problem. They
have been working perfectly since then. Cant say the same of my
C451E+CK1 which membrane is actually damaged...(no cleaning will bring
my capsule back to life).

I am glad your Experiences have improved with the NT5.
I have to admit that even though I was reasonably confident with the Mics
your posting did cast a seed of doubt so that when I started having odd 2
kHz squeals at a gig a couple of weeks later on a very very Humid evening in
Sydney my first suspicions fell onto the NT5s ( along with a muttered S*%t
maybe rokko was right after all ! ) It actually turned out to be a Sabine
EQ/Delay/Feedback exterminator going Psycho but of course I only discovered
this after changing out the 4 * NT5s I had on stage ;-)

[...]

Geoff Wood

RoKKo wrote:
A month ago i began a thread "complaining" about the unpredictable
behavior of "some" of these mics (Rode NT5 & NT2) in locations with
high relative humidity.

I think i must retract at least regarding the NT5s. I thought the
problem was the capsule being extremely moisture sensitive. I was
wrong. Nothing to do with the capsule itself but with the contact
components between the capsule and the body. Cleaning with alcohol -
as with most similar modular mics it seems - cured the problem.

Try Caig ProGold for a lasting (and enhancing ?) result.

geoff