Posted to rec.audio.pro
david correia david correia is offline

Default Broken Weller tc201/202

I took out my old Weller tc202 and found that the tc201 was not seating
properly into the base unit. It seems the 201 now has just 2 metal pins
sticking out - shouldn't there be 3?

If I hold it in place it does heat up but I don't think it's getting as
hot as it should.

I'm a crappy solderer and only do it on when I have to. How do I get
this setup happy again cheap?

(I don't do a helluva lot of soldering, I let a tech do most of my
repair work.)

Does Weller or some 3rd party do reasonable repairs? Thanks.

David Correia
www.Celebrationsound.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
MG[_4_] MG[_4_] is offline

"david correia" wrote in message
I took out my old Weller tc202 and found that the tc201 was not seating
properly into the base unit. It seems the 201 now has just 2 metal pins
sticking out - shouldn't there be 3?

If I hold it in place it does heat up but I don't think it's getting as
hot as it should.

I'm a crappy solderer and only do it on when I have to. How do I get
this setup happy again cheap?

(I don't do a helluva lot of soldering, I let a tech do most of my
repair work.)

Does Weller or some 3rd party do reasonable repairs? Thanks.

David Correia
www.Celebrationsound.com

I'm sure it's not worth the effort, just replace it.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

david correia wrote:
I took out my old Weller tc202 and found that the tc201 was not seating
properly into the base unit. It seems the 201 now has just 2 metal pins
sticking out - shouldn't there be 3?

If I hold it in place it does heat up but I don't think it's getting as
hot as it should.

I'm a crappy solderer and only do it on when I have to. How do I get
this setup happy again cheap?

(I don't do a helluva lot of soldering, I let a tech do most of my
repair work.)

Does Weller or some 3rd party do reasonable repairs? Thanks.

Send it to Weller.

Those things have a switch with a material that becomes nonmagnetic at the
appropriate temperature... a magnet holds the switch closed and it opens
at the right temperature.

If the pin is broken off, you can probably replace it yourself; Weller will
probably replace the whole iron but you'll be able to keep the tip and the
supply box.

I forget if the thing has two pins or three pins (ie. if the switch is
directly in series with the element). The switches do fail also.

Weller 6956 1/2" Large Reflector [email protected] Tech 0 May 22nd 09 02:22 AM
my Red 7 has broken? bj Pro Audio 5 April 29th 05 03:35 PM
Dead Weller Soldering Iron Tom Garneau Tech 7 April 17th 05 09:52 PM
Broken NAD CD Player Adam Tech 11 November 5th 04 08:32 PM
My proton 950 is broken and it can't get up! Lynn High End Audio 1 September 15th 04 01:41 AM