Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Discussion question, how does a musician copy a performance

DeeAa wrote:

Interesting question as we're just in the middle of process of making
a dozen 'carbon copy' tribute recordings of bands we used to love in
our youth - i.e. we're recording their songs and trying to make it
sound as close to the original as possible.

This is a fun exercise, and it's a fun exercise mostly in reverse-engineering
the original mixes and trying to figure out what went into them in the first
place. If you don't have the original charts it's that much harder, too.

I have worked for a couple of cover bands that wanted to sound exactly like the
original bands, and it was fun trying to research the original recordings and
to listen to them and attempt to duplicate the sound. I don't do that kind
of work anymore, but it was oddly rewarding.

I never thought about it any further, my view is more like that when
you copy what someone has done, learn to play it the same and create a
very similar sound, you're effectively getting into the performer's
head somewhat, so it's more like what happens as you do it, copy the
playing etc. not vice versa.

Right. The thing is, you can't spend forever in their head, you eventually
either go insane and turn into an Elvis impersonator or you have to go your
own way and express yourself.