Posted to rec.audio.pro
mcp6453[_2_] mcp6453[_2_] is offline

Default Input Level Control

Using Adobe Audition 1.5 on Windows XP with a Delta 1010LT card, is there a way
to adjust the track input level *in software*? I have a preamp with no level
control that I want to record direct in. The output is too hot.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

mcp6453 wrote:
Using Adobe Audition 1.5 on Windows XP with a Delta 1010LT card, is there a way
to adjust the track input level *in software*? I have a preamp with no level
control that I want to record direct in. The output is too hot.

There is a "digital pot" controlled by the volume control widget
for Windows. It will not behave as a trim control per se. I
expect it is post-A/D.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/app_vol_ctrl.mspx?mfr=true

--
Les Cargill
Posted to rec.audio.pro
PStamler PStamler is offline

On Jan 31, 12:32*pm, mcp6453 wrote:
Using Adobe Audition 1.5 on Windows XP with a Delta 1010LT card, is there a way
to adjust the track input level *in software*? I have a preamp with no level
control that I want to record direct in. The output is too hot.

Use an attenuator between the preamp and the Delta.

Peace,
Paul
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 1/31/2011 1:57 PM, PStamler wrote:
On Jan 31, 12:32 pm, mcp6453 wrote:
Using Adobe Audition 1.5 on Windows XP with a Delta 1010LT card, is there a way
to adjust the track input level *in software*? I have a preamp with no level
control that I want to record direct in. The output is too hot.

Use an attenuator between the preamp and the Delta.

That's not a *software* solution.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"mcp6453" wrote in message

Using Adobe Audition 1.5 on Windows XP with a Delta
1010LT card, is there a way to adjust the track input
level *in software*? I have a preamp with no level
control that I want to record direct in. The output is
too hot.

I presume that you are having problems with the 1010LT inputs clipping.

Very few production grade audio interfaces have analog domain input
attenuators, however some of them like the 1010LT do have on-board jumpers
that let you select -10 or +4 sensitivity. The +4 setting can help in many
cases like yours.

One of the problems is that the performance of programmable analog
attenuators has not kept up with the performance of ADCs.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 1/31/2011 4:03 PM, Arny Krueger wrote:
"mcp6453" wrote in message

Using Adobe Audition 1.5 on Windows XP with a Delta
1010LT card, is there a way to adjust the track input
level *in software*? I have a preamp with no level
control that I want to record direct in. The output is
too hot.

I presume that you are having problems with the 1010LT inputs clipping.

Very few production grade audio interfaces have analog domain input
attenuators, however some of them like the 1010LT do have on-board jumpers
that let you select -10 or +4 sensitivity. The +4 setting can help in many
cases like yours.

One of the problems is that the performance of programmable analog
attenuators has not kept up with the performance of ADCs.

The preamps are not clipping, but they're too close to the edge. The card is
already set for +4. What I don't understand is why Audition or Audacity doesn't
have input level controls.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

"mcp6453" wrote in message

[...]

Because the card probably has nothing in the analogue side to reduce levels.
And reducing the levels on the digital side is not useful since the clipping
has already occurred.

Get some S15 attenuator pads and keep them around, they are for just this
sort of occasion.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 1/31/2011 4:14 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:

Because the card probably has nothing in the analogue side to reduce levels.
And reducing the levels on the digital side is not useful since the clipping
has already occurred.

Get some S15 attenuator pads and keep them around, they are for just this
sort of occasion.

What are S15 attenuator pads?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nil Nil is offline

On 31 Jan 2011, mcp6453 wrote in rec.audio.pro:

Using Adobe Audition 1.5 on Windows XP with a Delta 1010LT card,
is there a way to adjust the track input level *in software*? I
have a preamp with no level control that I want to record direct
in. The output is too hot.

I use an M-Audio AP2496 and I've been told that the drivers for the
1010 are similar. If so, the Delta drivers should have installed the M-
Audio Control Panel in Windows Control Panel. There are volume/gain
sliders in there.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

mcp6453 wrote:
On 1/31/2011 4:14 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:

Because the card probably has nothing in the analogue side to reduce levels.
And reducing the levels on the digital side is not useful since the clipping
has already occurred.

Get some S15 attenuator pads and keep them around, they are for just this
sort of occasion.

What are S15 attenuator pads?

Arrgh... not the S15, that's the stand. Shure part A15AS, in-line attenuator.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"mcp6453" wrote in message

[...]

The answer is that they follow the usual standard of simply recording what
the audio interface sends to them.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message

In article
,
mcp6453 wrote:
On 1/31/2011 4:14 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:

Because the card probably has nothing in the analogue
side to reduce levels. And reducing the levels on the
digital side is not useful since the clipping has
already occurred.

Get some S15 attenuator pads and keep them around, they
are for just this sort of occasion.

What are S15 attenuator pads?

Arrgh... not the S15, that's the stand. Shure part
A15AS, in-line attenuator. --scott

Audio Technica, Proco, and I believe Hosa also have fixed and variable
attenuators. They have XLR connectors and are at such impedance levels that
they can work with mics and most pro gear.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Les Cargill Les Cargill is offline

wrote in message

[...]

It's off scope for Audition of Audacity.

Software cannot fix gain staging errors between the
preamp and soundcard.

--
Les Cargill
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On 1/31/2011 1:32 PM, mcp6453 wrote:
Using Adobe Audition 1.5 on Windows XP with a Delta 1010LT card, is there a way
to adjust the track input level *in software*? I have a preamp with no level
control that I want to record direct in. The output is too hot.

OK, fess up. What preamp has no level control? Not even
input gain? You can always reduce the output level with
that, unless you're trying to drive it to saturation.

Have you checked the control panel for the Delta? Many
interfaces in that range have a "+4/-10" input level switch
controlled in software. If you find it, make sure it's set
to +4.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 1/31/2011 4:08 PM, mcp6453 wrote:

The preamps are not clipping, but they're too close to the edge. The card is
already set for +4. What I don't understand is why Audition or Audacity doesn't
have input level controls.

Because they don't work right when implemented in software
on the digital side of the A/D converter. You can reduce the
level but that won't fix clipping of the input stage or the
converter (if the input goes directly to the converter). It
only serves to reduce the numerical resolution of the
converter output.

They could put a digitally controlled attenuator between the
input jack and the input of the A/D converter but they don't
because it might introduce a dB or two of noise (down at the
-100 dBu level) and that would mean that the spec sheet, if
honest, would have a higher noise floor than the
competition. Marketing departments won't let them do that
even if Engineering tells them that it will work better.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

They could put a digitally controlled attenuator between
the input jack and the input of the A/D converter but
they don't because it might introduce a dB or two of
noise (down at the -100 dBu level) and that would mean
that the spec sheet, if honest, would have a higher noise
floor than the competition. Marketing departments won't
let them do that even if Engineering tells them that it
will work better.

AFAIK the best digitally controlled analog attenuator ever commercialized
was the CS 3310. Its residual noise was just about exactly 100 dB down. So
your example is pretty much real world.

Here's a tech analysis of the CS 3310 versus the common resistor ladder
alternative:

http://www.jeffrowland.com/Technolog...meControls.htm

The last audio interface I ever saw with a CS 3310 in it was the legendary
(ISA) Turtle Beach Fiji/Pinnacle which was limited to 16 bits.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Jan 31, 2:15*pm, mcp6453 wrote:
On 1/31/2011 1:57 PM, PStamler wrote:

On Jan 31, 12:32 pm, mcp6453 wrote:
Using Adobe Audition 1.5 on Windows XP with a Delta 1010LT card, is there a way
to adjust the track input level *in software*? I have a preamp with no level
control that I want to record direct in. The output is too hot.

Use an attenuator between the preamp and the Delta.

That's not a *software* solution.

It's not a software solution because there is no software solution.
But it's a solution that will work.

Peace,
Paul
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 1/31/2011 5:27 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 1/31/2011 1:32 PM, mcp6453 wrote:
Using Adobe Audition 1.5 on Windows XP with a Delta 1010LT card, is there a way
to adjust the track input level *in software*? I have a preamp with no level
control that I want to record direct in. The output is too hot.

OK, fess up. What preamp has no level control? Not even input gain? You can
always reduce the output level with that, unless you're trying to drive it to
saturation.

Have you checked the control panel for the Delta? Many interfaces in that range
have a "+4/-10" input level switch controlled in software. If you find it, make
sure it's set to +4.

It was set to "Consumer" even though I thought I had set it correctly. Problem
solved.

The preamp is homemade.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 1/31/2011 7:46 PM, mcp6453 wrote:

It was set to "Consumer" even though I thought I had set it correctly. Problem
solved.

The preamp is homemade.

Well, the next time you make one, put a gain or output level
control on it and you can solve any "too hot" level problem.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 1/31/2011 9:45 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 1/31/2011 7:46 PM, mcp6453 wrote:

It was set to "Consumer" even though I thought I had set it correctly. Problem
solved.

The preamp is homemade.

Well, the next time you make one, put a gain or output level control on it and
you can solve any "too hot" level problem.

I don't plan to ever again make another one. It's possible that I'm going to
build a passive mix-minus switcher with attenuator, but I have made my last
printed circuit board, I hope. As I have posted here, I don't even like making
cables any more.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

mcp6453 wrote:
It was set to "Consumer" even though I thought I had set it correctly. Problem
solved.

The preamp is homemade.

Add a gain control to the preamp, then, and be done with it.