bradthedesigner bradthedesigner is offline
Junior Member

Default Quick Nagra III questions

Saw some help given on Nagra III's and thought I'd try my luck. Just got one and everything seems to work ok but I have some questions that I can't find in the manual. Info: this is a Nagra III N It also has a sticker on it that says (Equipped with Tobin Cinema Systems Crystal Sync 50, 60)

1. When I turn the transport control counter-clockwise, it doesn't rewind, it fast-forwards. Any idea why or how it can be switched.
2. When I turn the mode selector to Hi-Fi record, it doesn't immediately record. I have to press the button between the "60" and "50" rollers on top for it to start recording. I think that button is usually used to speed the motor to full speed for fast-forward during playback. Is this normal to start recording.
3. I notice when I turn the knob to Hi-Fi record, the pilot sync display forms a white cross (signifying it's being synced to something) but nothing it plugged in for it to sync to. Is this normal? Can I turn this function off?

Any info would be extremely appreciated. I've search the web a ton and can't find answers to these.

Thanks!
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bigguy2010 Bigguy2010 is offline

On 17/01/2011 00:40, bradthedesigner wrote:
[...]

re 3. Is there a Tuschel blanking plug thingy in the pilot in connector?
I remember a blanking plug that routed the internal Xtal to the Pilot
in; this could be unscrewed to allow input of alternative Pilot sources.

1 + 2 sound like a motor control problem?

Guy
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Haber Frank Haber is offline

1. Open it up (four screws on the right side, opens like a book) and look.
Either the rewind belt or the rewind idler are slipping.

2. Definitely non-standard. Many tapes have been unintentionally erased by
the default no-interlock setup.

3. Also non-standard. Put a switch in the -12 lead (generally red).

Be careful.

a. Germanium transistors. Don't let it get hot. Don't listen too hard for the
shot noise with the pots wide open.

b. NEGATIVE supply voltages. Do NOT reverse polarity on anything.

c. NO fusing or overvolt protection.

Want more? You'll get a positive earful of reminiscing over on
rec.arts.movies.production.sound.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

bradthedesigner wrote:

Saw some help given on Nagra III's and thought I'd try my luck. Just got
one and everything seems to work ok but I have some questions that I
can't find in the manual. Info: this is a Nagra III N It also has a
sticker on it that says (Equipped with Tobin Cinema Systems Crystal Sync
50, 60)

1. When I turn the transport control counter-clockwise, it doesn't
rewind, it fast-forwards. Any idea why or how it can be switched.

Are the belts in good condition? A bad supply belt would cause that.

2. When I turn the mode selector to Hi-Fi record, it doesn't immediately
record. I have to press the button between the "60" and "50" rollers on
top for it to start recording. I think that button is usually used to
speed the motor to full speed for fast-forward during playback. Is this
normal to start recording.

No. This may be a result of the Tobin mod but I doubt it. I would ask
Clive. That may be a sign of a motor control issue.

3. I notice when I turn the knob to Hi-Fi record, the pilot sync display
forms a white cross (signifying it's being synced to something) but
nothing it plugged in for it to sync to. Is this normal? Can I turn this
function off?

This is because there's a crystal oscillator built into it; the white cross
is showing you that it's receiving correct pilot tone from the camera; in
this case the internal Tobin oscillator has replaced the camera. You can
remove it if you want but it's not hurting anything.

Any info would be extremely appreciated. I've search the web a ton and
can't find answers to these.

Why not call a Nagra service center like Dan Dugan Sound Design and have
the machine PMed?

Nagra, Uher ... portable open reel recorders ... questions ..... Daniel Pro Audio 34 November 12th 04 08:28 AM
Subwoofer size......a few quick questions whoosh Car Audio 17 June 12th 04 12:30 AM
Nagra III questions Bill Pro Audio 11 March 2nd 04 02:30 PM
couple quick questions. -E-F-F-E-N-D-I- Car Audio 13 July 25th 03 03:23 AM
Quick questions (regarding speakers and an amp) Eli Mydlarz Car Audio 3 July 8th 03 06:27 PM