Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Default Discussion question, how does a musician copy a performance

Soundhaspriority wrote:
Things seem a little slow around here. So here's a question to provoke
discussion. Let's say you're a musician who desires to perform, or
make a recording, of a song, of the kind strongly identified with a
particular performer, either by authorship or simple association.
This is the case with a lot of blues, jazz, and rock. Let us further
stipulate that you want your performance of the song to emulate one
the performer(s) who is associated with the song.

I am not a performer myself, but I see two choices:
1. Try to copy the technique and the style of that performer by sheer
technical tour-de-force, analogous to the "camera eye" of a Dutch
Masters painter.
2. Try to get inside that performer's head, to be that person, to
"channel" his vibes.

A certain rather sad attempted guitar performance of ANother Brick In The
Wall springs to mind.

If you bothered to find it you'll know what I mean ;-)

geoff