Greg

Default Pioneer SX 1280 Problems

I just picked this unit up from a friend . He got it at
a estate sale for a whooping $32.00 He for sure thought
he would fetch $600.00+ On Ebay so I offered him $500.00
If I liked it better then my Carver powered system. He brought
it over and it sounded excellent. The mids.. and bass the most notable.

Two weeks later I started losing the right channel.
It will come right back on by switching to FM then
back to Aux. I also noticed by putting my fingers under
the front and slightly lifting. Its now shut down until
I can get it to a shop.

questions are.
Anyone know of a shop here in Tacoma-Seattle area.
And is anyone familiar with this problem ? is it a spendy fix??

Thanks !!
Greg Rathbun
PS
Take the ing out of comcast to e-mail me.

Dave Platt

Two weeks later I started losing the right channel.
It will come right back on by switching to FM then
back to Aux. I also noticed by putting my fingers under
the front and slightly lifting. Its now shut down until
I can get it to a shop.

If I were looking at it, I'd look for:

- Bad solder joints - possibly on the connectors, possibly on the
pins for the output stage transistors (or module). It's not
unknown for questionable solder joints to "go open" after some
years of use, due to the repeated heat/cool/heat/cool thermal
stresses of cycling the power on and off.

- A dirty switch contact, or a dirty output-protection relay contact.

- An inter-stage coupling capacitor which is failing.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

Greg

Thanks..Dave
I hope for more replies. I see {{forgot}} when I lift underneath
it starts the channel back UP. I'm quite sure its needs a total service
and hopefully not much $$ to fix that problem.

Best Regards..Greg

"Dave Platt" wrote in message
Two weeks later I started losing the right channel.
It will come right back on by switching to FM then
back to Aux. I also noticed by putting my fingers under
the front and slightly lifting. Its now shut down until
I can get it to a shop.

If I were looking at it, I'd look for:

- Bad solder joints - possibly on the connectors, possibly on the
pins for the output stage transistors (or module). It's not
unknown for questionable solder joints to "go open" after some
years of use, due to the repeated heat/cool/heat/cool thermal
stresses of cycling the power on and off.

- A dirty switch contact, or a dirty output-protection relay contact.

- An inter-stage coupling capacitor which is failing.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

Mark D. Zacharias

Dirty controls and switches. Any competent shop can fix it no problem, but
sometimes there are recurrences after a few months or so.

So you like the Pioneer better than the Carver?

Mark Z.

"Greg" wrote in message
I just picked this unit up from a friend . He got it at
a estate sale for a whooping $32.00 He for sure thought
he would fetch $600.00+ On Ebay so I offered him $500.00
If I liked it better then my Carver powered system. He brought
it over and it sounded excellent. The mids.. and bass the most notable.

Two weeks later I started losing the right channel.
It will come right back on by switching to FM then
back to Aux. I also noticed by putting my fingers under
the front and slightly lifting. Its now shut down until
I can get it to a shop.

questions are.
Anyone know of a shop here in Tacoma-Seattle area.
And is anyone familiar with this problem ? is it a spendy fix??

Thanks !!
Greg Rathbun
PS
Take the ing out of comcast to e-mail me.

Greg

Thanks Mark
I suspected that's what's going on. For now I'm not going to part with the
Carver
amp a M 0.5T a bit less power then the Pioneer that for sure sounds better.

Best Regards..Greg

"Greg" wrote in message
I just picked this unit up from a friend . He got it at
a estate sale for a whooping $32.00 He for sure thought
he would fetch $600.00+ On Ebay so I offered him $500.00
If I liked it better then my Carver powered system. He brought
it over and it sounded excellent. The mids.. and bass the most notable.

Two weeks later I started losing the right channel.
It will come right back on by switching to FM then
back to Aux. I also noticed by putting my fingers under
the front and slightly lifting. Its now shut down until
I can get it to a shop.

questions are.
Anyone know of a shop here in Tacoma-Seattle area.
And is anyone familiar with this problem ? is it a spendy fix??

Thanks !!
Greg Rathbun
PS
Take the ing out of comcast to e-mail me.

jriegle

If moving it causes a result, it is a bad connection. I've seen bad
connections internal to an IC (lead to die jumper), however, 9 times out of
10 it's a bad solder joint. Seems to be more of a problem in TVs. I can't
remember how many TVs I fixed that had a bad solder joint.

John

news

"Dave Platt" wrote in message
Two weeks later I started losing the right channel.
It will come right back on by switching to FM then
back to Aux. I also noticed by putting my fingers under
the front and slightly lifting. Its now shut down until
I can get it to a shop.

If I were looking at it, I'd look for:

- Bad solder joints - possibly on the connectors, possibly on the
pins for the output stage transistors (or module). It's not
unknown for questionable solder joints to "go open" after some
years of use, due to the repeated heat/cool/heat/cool thermal
stresses of cycling the power on and off.

- A dirty switch contact, or a dirty output-protection relay contact.

- An inter-stage coupling capacitor which is failing.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

Jerry G.

This is a good unit. I would be looking for the authorized Pioneer service
rep for your area. They can service your unit properly, and give you a
service warranty for their work.

Call some of the dealers in your area, to find out who the Pioneer service
rep is. If it is just a cold solder connection they can fix it for not too
much of a cost. You would only pay the labour. At the same time, they would
properly clean the unit up for you, and check it out.

--

Jerry G.
=====

"Greg" wrote in message
I just picked this unit up from a friend . He got it at
a estate sale for a whooping $32.00 He for sure thought
he would fetch $600.00+ On Ebay so I offered him $500.00
If I liked it better then my Carver powered system. He brought
it over and it sounded excellent. The mids.. and bass the most notable.

Two weeks later I started losing the right channel.
It will come right back on by switching to FM then
back to Aux. I also noticed by putting my fingers under
the front and slightly lifting. Its now shut down until
I can get it to a shop.

questions are.
Anyone know of a shop here in Tacoma-Seattle area.
And is anyone familiar with this problem ? is it a spendy fix??

Thanks !!
Greg Rathbun
PS
Take the ing out of comcast to e-mail me.

Greg

Thanks to All.
As it turns out a electrical shop I had do a small repair
awhile back is the is my local Pioneer authorized rep.
I was pleased with them so hopefully I will be again.
My friend Todd and I do a lot of trading so giving him
$500.00 was fine. I did do some research on it before
making the offer. Cosmetically its mint I'm sure it was taken
care of. It sounds excellent !! and really is a thing of beauty.
I never new about this line before. Most of us had Marantz
around this time frame.

I do appreciate the Replys !!

Best Regards..Greg R

Bob Urz

Jerry G. wrote:

This is a good unit. I would be looking for the authorized Pioneer service
rep for your area. They can service your unit properly, and give you a
service warranty for their work.

Call some of the dealers in your area, to find out who the Pioneer service
rep is. If it is just a cold solder connection they can fix it for not too
much of a cost. You would only pay the labour. At the same time, they would
properly clean the unit up for you, and check it out.

A dealer does not have to be an warranty station or "Authorized" to be
able to work on the unit. And When it comes to clean up on a 20 + year
old unit, the warranty does not mean much. If you shoot cleaner in a NLA
control or switch, its not like you can replace it. For the most part,
you can probably revive it, but it may never be 100% IF SOME of the
controls or switches are impaired and not available.

Although that's a nice old unit, the price sounds excessive to me.
I just junked a similar unit last month. It had met with a bit of
rage tampering, so there was no reviving it. I did save the output modules

Bob

Greg

I agree the price was steep. Its at the shop now and I have not
paid but a 1/3 of the price. And I had a agreement its must be in
100% working order. I do know its a hot seller. I saw one go
for over $250.00 with one channel out. If this does not work
out. I will ask for some recommendations for one that will give
close to the same sound.

Best Regards..Greg