rapskat

Error log for Mon, 27 Dec 2004 03:35:29 +0000: Kadaitcha Man caused a
Page Fault at address
, details...

rapskat, , the prosthetic, surreptitious flea, and
grave digger, remonstrated:

Error log for Mon, 27 Dec 2004 02:42:51 +0000: Kadaitcha Man caused a
Page Fault at address
,
details...

.

Sorry, did you bleat something?

Stuck for a reply again, huh. You do that a lot. I suppose you find that
a little less embarrassing than your regular trick of merely slinking
off, only to have the notions and ideas shoved down your neck when you
get the courage up to have another try at not looking the perpetual fool
that you are.

Nah, I just can't be arsed, as you say. Unlike you, I don't have
unlimited time to respond, then counter-respond, then
counter-counter-respond, etc. unto perpetuity. I can usually make my
point in one or two posts, after that, it's just masturbation.

Now you say...

--
rapskat - 18:07:23 up 10 min, 2 users, load average: 1.57, 1.23, 0.64
Small things make base men proud.

rapskat

Error log for Mon, 27 Dec 2004 02:58:35 +0000: Kadaitcha Man caused a
Page Fault at address
, details...

Yeah, you rarely get it.

I have no dick. Is it some kind of surprise to you that I never "get
it"? London to a bucket of **** says I get far more vaginal secretions
on my face in a week than you get on your dick in a decade.

licks eyebrows

So, you're a lesbian then?

--
rapskat - 18:17:00 up 20 min, 4 users, load average: 0.64, 1.25, 0.99
All the troubles you have will pass away very quickly.

rapskat

Error log for Sun, 26 Dec 2004 22:31:00 -0500: Talbot caused a Page Fault
at address , details...

And Linux doesn't have commercial applications?

Where did I say it didn't?

In case you missed it the first time...

Get a fscking clue, idiot.

--
rapskat - 18:27:34 up 30 min, 4 users, load average: 0.00, 0.15, 0.49
Q: Why does Washington have the most lawyers per capita and

rapskat

Error log for Sun, 26 Dec 2004 23:32:57 -0500: Talbot caused a Page Fault
at address , details...

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 18:29:03 -0500, rapskat wrote:

Error log for Sun, 26 Dec 2004 22:31:00 -0500: Talbot caused a Page
Fault at address , details...

And Linux doesn't have commercial applications?

Where did I say it didn't?

In case you missed it the first time...

Get a fscking clue, idiot.

I have one.
It's YOU that does not.
You ask about commercial applications and then you dodge and weave when
I stick it to you.
Good luck idiot because everyone can now see what a fool you are.

I was responding to the assertation that a select group of Commercial
applications are not ported to Linux by the vendor and some other wintard
stating that Linux is a joke because the VENDOR doesn't provide support
for other than two platforms.

But you knew that already, right twit?

--
rapskat - 18:56:30 up 59 min, 4 users, load average: 0.30, 0.27, 0.27
For a light heart lives long.

rapskat

Error log for Mon, 27 Dec 2004 04:43:14 +0000: Kadaitcha Man caused a
Page Fault at address
, details...

Pick one:

Ooh, goody! But you have to promise to really do the one I pick, ok?

Alright, well....hmmmm. Ok, how about this one then...

A) Slink off in shame.

--
rapskat - 19:07:34 up 1:10, 4 users, load average: 1.46, 1.10, 0.60
You're almost as happy as you think you are.

rapskat

Error log for Sun, 26 Dec 2004 23:21:22 -0500: Peter Von Gasenhousen
caused a Page Fault at address ,
details...

If you can't take the time to read the documentation, you have no right
to be advocating Linux.

Lead by example. Show me.

--
rapskat - 19:10:43 up 1:14, 4 users, load average: 0.16, 0.62, 0.50
There is an old time toast which is golden for its beauty.

Default Why Windows is Easier than Linux For An End User, Especially for Multimedia work.

Is Linux a better operating system?
On paper it sure looks that way considering Microsoft can't seem to
lock down it's system from hackers.
However, there is so much more to an operating system and a computer
in general than security and if one looks at security in the general
sense, most of these exploits have/are/rely on ignorant users.
Seeing as Windows has 90+ percent of the desktop market place, the
number of ignorant users is going to be much higher than Linux with
say 2 percent of the desktop market place.
That is one reason why Windows is attacked, the other is of course
Windows has it's problems with security.
It's no secret.
However, I use both Linux and Windows and I get far more security
alerts from Suse Linux than I would like to see.
As Linux becomes more popular, it will become a target and hackers
will exploit the stupidity of the end user, it will happen given time.
It's a fact.

So why is Windows easier?
Simply because Windows is designed to easily integrate hardware and
software into a cohesive environment where things "just work".

Example: User wishes to play an audio CD with Windows. All he has to
do is put the CD in the tray and it works.
It might work via the analog cable connected to the sound card, or it
might work via DAE if the sound card does not have an analog input for
CD like many high end cards.

Now try this with Linux and say xmms...

Holy ****!

Create a directory where the audio CD will mount making sure not to
pick one that is in fstab, like /mnt/cdrom because it will screw up.
Now pick a sound system.
Now figure out what controls on the mixer need to be activated and
move them up.
Oh yea, nothing is labeled on the typical mixer control and I still
don't know if the green light means the function is enabled or
disabled because the help system is so dammed lame.

Now make certain to raise all the volumes, on all mixers because Linux
seems to set them to zero and BTW if you reboot there is no guarantee
they will be set back.
Check the number of threads that talk about this, going back to 2000
or so.
I guess this is not an important feature for Linux developers.
Maybe another editor is more important?
Yea that's the ticket.
Another editor to add to the already 100 that exist already.

How about an iPod and Linux?

Hey that's a real winner!!!

NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FIrst off you HAVE TO HAVE WINDOWS in order to set it up.
Then even after you do that, the dammed hot plug system mounts it in
some weird ass directory and there is no way to over ride it.
Bottom line is GTK-PoD won't work right.

Even if you make it work, if you EVER CONNECT THE IPOD TO A REAL
SYSTEM like Windows, it will erase everything!!!!!!!!!
And then you are back to square one.

mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/dev/ipod -v -t....................and so forth!

Hey that's user friendly!

Yea, yea I know, iPod is proprietary and won't tell Linux all it's
secrets.

Tough ****!!!

It's a popular device and people use it.

And that is the entire point.
There are a LOT of popular devices that simply won't work right with
Linux but yet work fine with Windows and Apple.

Blaming others seems to be the Linux user mantra.

Blame everyone else except Linux.

Theories are great, but actual practice is what counts.

I don't care how my dishwasher works, as long as I turn the knob and
it starts.
My computer is a tool that is supposed to make my life easier not more
difficult.
I don't want to have to tell my computer how to do things, I want it
to tell me and allow me to accept or decline.

Let's play DVDs!!
Shall we?

My Plextor DVD player came with a CD that included various players and
CODECS and all I did was insert the DVD and everything worked.

Linux?

HAHHHHH!!!!!

apt-get....ooops I use Gentoo.
emerge sorry but I use Fedora.
RPMFIND....Sorry, I use Suse.
Yast....Ooops I use Slackware.....

When you install a popular distribution like say SUSE you will find
that the video players have been emasculated and don't include CODECS
to play anything useful.

So now you get to scour the internet to find obscure sites that will
allow you to make things work, and BTW you had better have a broadband
connection because these files are numerous and HUGE!!!

How about sound under Linux?

Am I using ARTS?
ESD?
OSS?
ALSA?
OSS-Emulation?
Jack (the worst of them all)

How do I even know?

Is my sound card /dev/dsp1?
dsp2?
Maybe it's hw:0?
or hw:0,1?

So what is it?

What if I have 3 sound cards?

How come I can't use Jack as a user and get real time?

Why must I enter a command like:

jackd -R -d alsa -d hw:0 -r 44100 -p 1024 -n2 -i12 -o10 etc..... to
make things work?

This is a facrce!!!!

With Windows I pick which sound card I wish to use, BY NAME and it
works.
No su'ing to root, nothing like that.

Why is Linux such a mess?

Let's continue.............

How can I design Flash pages under Linux?
Not EMULATED, HALF ASSED flash pages, but REAL ONES 100 percent
compatible with REAL FLASH?

Answer is it can't be done.

Hell, even viewing web pages under Linux is a chore because Linux
browsers suck!
Even firefox, which works great under Windows takes 20 seconds to load
under Linux.
Why is Linux so slow?

How about fonts?

Why does Linux have to steal TTF's from Microsoft in order to look
decent?

How about DAW work?

Ardour
RoseGarden
Audacity

Compare them to Sonar 4 or Cubase and see what happens.

Where are Linux plugins that are decent?

There are none.

Linux sound card support?

Linux doesn't support even the **** Sblive 24 bit cards.

Video support?

How is ATI support coming along these days?

Not too good I hear...

Sorry but Linux is a mess, a joke and THAT IS WHY it is being ignored
as users flock toward Apple and WIndows for real solutions to solve
real everyday problems.

If you want to run a geek cluster, use Linux.......
If you need to accomplish everyday work, use anything BUT Linux.

Robin Chandler

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 00:47:31 GMT, 7
wrote:

Blaming the user is not the answer to a problem.
Refunding the user when a product does not work is a
good solution.

The elitist Linux users should listen to their own advice.

Not true - most things in windopes does not work.
I can download one of 200 LiveCDs

And you can spend the better part of your entire life trying to make
them work, or trying to get one to do everything you want.

The stuff is done up by techies, its open source,
and free to download and distribute.

Who cares?
If it doesn't work, what's the difference?
For example, I tried dynabolic which is supposed to be an audio DAW
focused CD.
It sucked and locked up all the time.
I wasted a blank and the time.

You can put things like Knoppix and Mepis into your CD,
boot up without pressing one key with all the hardware
automatically detected and working.

That's a real lie if ever there was one.

Windopes cannot do that. It takes hours to install.
Therefore your theories of "just work" don't measure
up to whats out there.

Another lie.

LiveCDs work without configuring anything. And that is the
problem windopes have. They are thick as planks dorks
that live in the past.

And assuming you can even make them work, they are slow as ****.

With a 750MHz PC, 128Mb RAM, I can burn a 4Gb of
files (14,000+ files) to DVD at 4x speed, and
download 2Gb file to that same
hard disk through a 100MHz network card.
The 2Gb file transfer finishes before the 4Gb of files
are burned. And I'm listening to uninterrupted MP3 music
with Mepis.

I don't believe you.
I doubt anyone else will either.
If you are going to gild the lilly, you should be more realistic.
If you windope outdated tech pricks can do any of this lets hear it.

Hahh!

We don't lie like Linux users seem to do.

Create a directory where the audio CD will mount making sure not to
pick one that is in fstab, like /mnt/cdrom because it will screw up.

You are just an unemployable windope that needs to be sacked
and replaced with GNU/Linux techies.

And you are a crazed Linux zealot on a mission.

Now pick a sound system.
Now figure out what controls on the mixer need to be activated and
move them up.
Oh yea, nothing is labeled on the typical mixer control and I still
don't know if the green light means the function is enabled or
disabled because the help system is so dammed lame.

You are continuing to reenforce the ideas
that you are an unemployable windope that needs to be sacked
and replaced with GNU/Linux techies.

Which has exactly what to do with the paragraph you replied to?

Snip**** the rest of your drivel because it is obvious you are a
crazed Linux zealot with no life and no experience outside of Linux.
I'll give you some free advice, educate yourself and stop making
outrageous claims that you can't prove that do nothing but make you
look like an idiot.

7

Robin Chandler wrote:

With a 750MHz PC, 128Mb RAM, I can burn a 4Gb of
files (14,000+ files) to DVD at 4x speed, and
download 2Gb file to that same
hard disk through a 100MHz network card.
The 2Gb file transfer finishes before the 4Gb of files
are burned. And I'm listening to uninterrupted MP3 music
with Mepis.

I don't believe you.
I doubt anyone else will either.
If you are going to gild the lilly, you should be more realistic.

You stooooppiidd windope ****!
What is your problem????????????????????????

Why don't you download Knoppix or Mepis and try it!

kier

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 19:16:25 -0500, slinky_silkworm wrote:

Is Linux a better operating system?

Yes.

On paper it sure looks that way considering Microsoft can't seem to
lock down it's system from hackers.

It can, but it's far harder to do

However, there is so much more to an operating system and a computer
in general than security and if one looks at security in the general
sense, most of these exploits have/are/rely on ignorant users.

Not entirely.

Seeing as Windows has 90+ percent of the desktop market place, the
number of ignorant users is going to be much higher than Linux with
say 2 percent of the desktop market place.

Where did you get your figures? No one knowe the percentages precisely.

That is one reason why Windows is attacked, the other is of course
Windows has it's problems with security.

Correct.

It's no secret.
However, I use both Linux and Windows and I get far more security
alerts from Suse Linux than I would like to see.

Security alerts are *good*. Why? Because they keep you informed, rather
than treatin g you like a mushroom - kept in the dark and fed on... well,
you get the idea.

As Linux becomes more popular, it will become a target and hackers
will exploit the stupidity of the end user, it will happen given time.
It's a fact.

No, it's not. It's a supposition, at most. Can hardly be a fact when it
hasn't happened, right?

So why is Windows easier?

Is it easier? That point is by no means conceded.

Simply because Windows is designed to easily integrate hardware and
software into a cohesive environment where things "just work".

In Linux, an awful lot of stuff 'just works'. Okay, I'll grant you that
some things don't but that is true of any OS.

Example: User wishes to play an audio CD with Windows. All he has to
do is put the CD in the tray and it works.
It might work via the analog cable connected to the sound card, or it
might work via DAE if the sound card does not have an analog input for
CD like many high end cards.

Now try this with Linux and say xmms...

Why use Xmms. Try KsCD.

Holy ****!

Create a directory where the audio CD will mount making sure not to
pick one that is in fstab, like /mnt/cdrom because it will screw up.

In most mainstream distros, it will mount audio CDs automatically. In
fact, I've had to *disable* that at times, when all i wanted was to rip a
CD, not play it.

Now pick a sound system.

The standard one will usually do.

Now figure out what controls on the mixer need to be activated and
move them up.

Usually enabled by default. If not, it's usually a trivial matter to pump
up the volume.

Oh yea, nothing is labeled on the typical mixer control and I still
don't know if the green light means the function is enabled or
disabled because the help system is so dammed lame.

Use your brain, then. Green means 'go', red means 'stop'. Not that hard,
was it?

Now make certain to raise all the volumes, on all mixers because Linux
seems to set them to zero and BTW if you reboot there is no guarantee
they will be set back.

Huh? What are you on about?

Check the number of threads that talk about this, going back to 2000
or so.

Yeah, sure.

I guess this is not an important feature for Linux developers.
Maybe another editor is more important?

How should I know what a developer thinks is important, I'm a user. But
there are plenty of sound apps being developed, so I would surmise it's
important to some of them.

Yea that's the ticket.
Another editor to add to the already 100 that exist already.

Who cares? I like text editors.

How about an iPod and Linux?

Hey that's a real winner!!!

NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So? iPods weren't intended for Linux in the first place.

FIrst off you HAVE TO HAVE WINDOWS in order to set it up. Then even
after you do that, the dammed hot plug system mounts it in some weird
ass directory and there is no way to over ride it. Bottom line is
GTK-PoD won't work right.

Wouldn't know, I don't have an iPod. But if it's the case, Linux-using
iPod owners will soon get things fixed so it does.

Even if you make it work, if you EVER CONNECT THE IPOD TO A REAL SYSTEM
like Windows, it will erase everything!!!!!!!!! And then you are back to
square one.

'Real system?' What nonsense are you talking?

mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/dev/ipod -v -t....................and so forth!

Hey that's user friendly!

You are too stupid to type a short command, are you?

Yea, yea I know, iPod is proprietary and won't tell Linux all it's
secrets.

Tough ****!!!

No, stupid manufacturers, who lose potential sales.

It's a popular device and people use it.

And your point is? That doesn't alter the fact it's not Open. Therefore
drivers are harder to write.

And that is the entire point.
There are a LOT of popular devices that simply won't work right with
Linux but yet work fine with Windows and Apple.

And there are lots of popular devices which work with Linux. Your point?

Blaming others seems to be the Linux user mantra.

Excuse me?

Blame everyone else except Linux.

Who are you talking about?

Theories are great, but actual practice is what counts.

I don't care how my dishwasher works, as long as I turn the knob and it
starts.

We are not discussing dishwashers.

My computer is a tool that is supposed to make my life easier not more
difficult.
I don't want to have to tell my computer how to do things, I want it to
tell me and allow me to accept or decline.

Then you are a fool. You should be in charge of your computer. You should
control it, not do as *it* wants.

Let's play DVDs!!
Shall we?

Why not. (Inserts 'The Sweeney' into drive... cool! Steely Jack rides
again.

My Plextor DVD player came with a CD that included various players and
CODECS and all I did was insert the DVD and everything worked.

I had to buy my Windows DVD playing software separately. And Windows Media
Player itself *still* won't play DVDs. How stupid is *that*? The codecs
are on my system, but WMP doesn't want to know.

Linux?

HAHHHHH!!!!!

apt-get....ooops I use Gentoo.
emerge sorry but I use Fedora.
RPMFIND....Sorry, I use Suse.
Yast....Ooops I use Slackware.....

Download mplayer (often included in your distro). Add codecs and
libdvdcss/read - usually provided separately by your distro maintainers
because of legal hassles. Most other DVD players will happily now play
DVDs also - unlike WMP for Windows.

When you install a popular distribution like say SUSE you will find that
the video players have been emasculated and don't include CODECS to play
anything useful.

This is true, of SUSE. Solution? Don't install SUSE's own version, go for
mplayer, etc. See above.

So now you get to scour the internet to find obscure sites that will
allow you to make things work, and BTW you had better have a broadband
connection because these files are numerous and HUGE!!!

Nope. I first got mplayer/xine/codecs/libdvdcss etc, on a dial-up
connection, and from Linux Format magazine discs. The sites are not
obscure - just google mplayer or xine.

How about sound under Linux?

I've never had more than temporary problems with sound under Linux.

Am I using ARTS?
ESD?
OSS?
ALSA?
OSS-Emulation?
Jack (the worst of them all)

You are joking, aren't you? If you can't get sound working with at least
one of them, you're an idiot.

How do I even know?

Learn to read.

Is my sound card /dev/dsp1?
dsp2?
Maybe it's hw:0?
or hw:0,1?

So what is it?

Learn to read.

What if I have 3 sound cards?

Dunno. Most of us have only one.

How come I can't use Jack as a user and get real time?

Something to do with the way the kernel works at present, I believe.

Why must I enter a command like:

jackd -R -d alsa -d hw:0 -r 44100 -p 1024 -n2 -i12 -o10 etc..... to make
things work?

See above.

This is a facrce!!!!

No, it's the way certain things work.

With Windows I pick which sound card I wish to use, BY NAME and it
works.
No su'ing to root, nothing like that.

And your point is? We're not using Windows, right? Therefore, Windows is
irrelevant.

Why is Linux such a mess?

It isn't.

Let's continue.............

How can I design Flash pages under Linux? Not EMULATED, HALF ASSED flash
pages, but REAL ONES 100 percent compatible with REAL FLASH?

Download and install Flashplayer 7.

Answer is it can't be done.

Hell, even viewing web pages under Linux is a chore because Linux
browsers suck!

No they don't. A lot of half-bakes, badly-coded sites do, though.

Even firefox, which works great under Windows takes 20 seconds to load
under Linux.

It works great under Linux, too.

Why is Linux so slow?

It isn't.

How about fonts?

How about them? I have plenty, all nice and Free, too.

Why does Linux have to steal TTF's from Microsoft in order to look
decent?

It doesn't, liar.

How about DAW work?

Ardour
RoseGarden
Audacity

Nice apps.

Compare them to Sonar 4 or Cubase and see what happens.

Why should I? I use Linux.

Where are Linux plugins that are decent?

There are none.

Liar.

Linux sound card support?

Linux doesn't support even the **** Sblive 24 bit cards.

Liar. Or perhaps I'm imagining the sound coming from my speakers.

Video support?

How is ATI support coming along these days?

Not as well as we'd like, sadly.

Not too good I hear...

Some ATI cards are supported, others not, but Nvidia are considered far
better nowadays, and the best way to go for Linux video.

Sorry but Linux is a mess, a joke and THAT IS WHY it is being ignored as
users flock toward Apple and WIndows for real solutions to solve real
everyday problems.

Are you joking or just stupid? Flock *towards* Windows and Apple? Please
get a clue. How many million people downloaded Firefox alone this year?
Peop,e don't flock towards Windows, they simply buy it along with their
hardware. That's not musch of a choice. As for Apple, it's hardly making
vast inroads into Windows territory in the way Linux is.

If you want to run a geek cluster, use Linux....... If you need to
accomplish everyday work, use anything BUT Linux.

You're talking utter ********. But why be surprised - you are nothing
but a troll anyway. If you don't know how to get your work done under
Linux, that is your problem, not that of the OS. Linux is very capable,
flexible, and above all, Free.

Because it's the Season of Goodwill, I'll give you a hint: go and download
Knoppix 3.7, and buy or borrow the book 'Knoppix Hacks'. Come back in a
few days and tell me again that Linux doesn't do this, that and the other,
and you can't get work done. Then I'll *know* you're a liar and a fraud.

--
Kier

Peter Köhlmann

begin Robin Chandler (flatfish) wrote:

snip

Hi slinky_silkworm (flatfish)
--
Microsoft's Guide To System Design:
It could be worse, but it'll take time.

ray

I don't agree with your premise. I maintain that a properly installed and
set up Linux system is no harder to use than a properly installed and
set up MS system - it is just a little different.

Robin Chandler

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 01:16:46 +0000, kier wrote:

Why use Xmms. Try KsCD.

KSCD can't do DAE..
Idiot!

Usually enabled by default. If not, it's usually a trivial matter to pump
up the volume.

Usually?
Better check the Linux groups for posts concerning the topic.

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...rch+this+group

Check the number of threads that talk about this, going back to 2000
or so.

Yeah, sure.

Yep.

Snip-----The rantings of another Linux zealot loonie

kier

wrote:

Blaming the user is not the answer to a problem.
Refunding the user when a product does not work is a
good solution.

The elitist Linux users should listen to their own advice.

Elitist?

Not true - most things in windopes does not work.
I can download one of 200 LiveCDs

And you can spend the better part of your entire life trying to make
them work, or trying to get one to do everything you want.

Tripe. All it takes is a little saavvy and patience. I should know - I've
tried loads of them, most with success.

The stuff is done up by techies, its open source,
and free to download and distribute.

Who cares?

We do.

If it doesn't work, what's the difference?

The difference is, if it doesn't work, you have the right to fix it,
without restrictions. Okay, not all of us are hacker-dudes, but even a
noviece coder may be able to do something with the source, given
willingness and determination.

For example, I tried dynabolic which is supposed to be an audio DAW
focused CD.
It sucked and locked up all the time.

What kind of hardware were you using? It's designed to run on fairly
low-grade systems, so I suspect you had some other kind of problem there.

I wasted a blank and the time.

Awwww diddums! A blank CDR and some time. Poor baby.

You can put things like Knoppix and Mepis into your CD,
boot up without pressing one key with all the hardware
automatically detected and working.

That's a real lie if ever there was one.

Actually, no it's not. I've done it. Today.

Windopes cannot do that. It takes hours to install.
Therefore your theories of "just work" don't measure
up to whats out there.

Another lie.

A couple of hours, the last install I saw done.

LiveCDs work without configuring anything. And that is the
problem windopes have. They are thick as planks dorks
that live in the past.

And assuming you can even make them work, they are slow as ****.

Depends on your hardware. Use, say, Slax, with copy2ram on a fairly
bog-standard machine (AMD Duron 950mhz), and you'd hardly know it wasn't a
hard disk install. Use Knoppix, and it's not as fast, but there are
options to speed it up - and it's still not that bad without them.

With a 750MHz PC, 128Mb RAM, I can burn a 4Gb of
files (14,000+ files) to DVD at 4x speed, and
download 2Gb file to that same
hard disk through a 100MHz network card.
The 2Gb file transfer finishes before the 4Gb of files
are burned. And I'm listening to uninterrupted MP3 music
with Mepis.

I don't believe you.

Who gives a **** if you do?

I doubt anyone else will either.

Want to bet?

If you are going to gild the lilly, you should be more realistic.
If you windope outdated tech pricks can do any of this lets hear it.

Hahh!

We don't lie like Linux users seem to do.

Doubtful, given the troll-shot I reaad in here at times.

Create a directory where the audio CD will mount making sure not to
pick one that is in fstab, like /mnt/cdrom because it will screw up.

You are just an unemployable windope that needs to be sacked
and replaced with GNU/Linux techies.

And you are a crazed Linux zealot on a mission.

Maybe so, but why should you care?

Now pick a sound system.
Now figure out what controls on the mixer need to be activated and
move them up.
Oh yea, nothing is labeled on the typical mixer control and I still
don't know if the green light means the function is enabled or
disabled because the help system is so dammed lame.

You are continuing to reenforce the ideas
that you are an unemployable windope that needs to be sacked
and replaced with GNU/Linux techies.

Which has exactly what to do with the paragraph you replied to?

Translation: you're thick.

Snip**** the rest of your drivel because it is obvious you are a
crazed Linux zealot with no life and no experience outside of Linux.
I'll give you some free advice, educate yourself and stop making
outrageous claims that you can't prove that do nothing but make you
look like an idiot.

I think he's telling you you're too dumb to be educated.

S'funny, you types come around calling all of us Linux users 'zealots',
yet you hang around here just the same. If Linux is so crappy, why are you
hanging around here? Go and bore the Windows users in alt.os.windows-xp,
which is where you belong.

--
Kier

Peter Köhlmann

begin Robin Chandler (flatfish) wrote:

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 01:16:46 +0000, kier wrote:

Why use Xmms. Try KsCD.

KSCD can't do DAE..
Idiot!

The idiot is you, flatfish.
KSCD *can* do DAE. It is just not enabled by default

snip more flatfish droppings
--
The Day Microsoft makes something that does not suck is probably
the day they start making vacuum cleaners.

kier

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 20:27:08 -0500, Robin Chandler wrote:

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 01:16:46 +0000, kier wrote:

Why use Xmms. Try KsCD.

KSCD can't do DAE..
Idiot!

You were talking about *playing* audio CDs, weren't you? That's what KsCD
is for. You want to rip, use grip, or any number of other apps designed
for it.

Usually enabled by default. If not, it's usually a trivial matter to pump
up the volume.

Usually?
Better check the Linux groups for posts concerning the topic.

How old are those posts? Is everyone in the world supposed to be in the
same boat? Do you judge Linux performance by google? I judge it by using
it, every day.

Now make certain to raise all the volumes, on all mixers because Linux
seems to set them to zero and BTW if you reboot there is no guarantee
they will be set back.

Huh? What are you on about?

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...rch+this+group

Check the number of threads that talk about this, going back to 2000
or so.

Yeah, sure.

Yep.

And again, it's just a google groups thread, not the end of the world.
What about all the satisfied users who don't need to complain? How do you
count them? I have three PCs and a laptop. They all have sound. Sound for
Linux may have been problematic in the past, but it's hardly an issue now.

And that's *SUSE*. That's not all of Linux, by a long, long way.

Snip-----The rantings of another Linux zealot loonie

Hah hahah hahah! Pathetic troll.

Free clue: I'm not a zealot, a loonie, or anything but a sensible honest
user. Sure, some stuff will fail to work, for some users. That's true of
any platform, it's certainly not exclusive to Linux.

--
Kier

agent86

Moderator wrote:

Whatever (paraphrased)

Mr. Moderator,

At rec.audio.pro, we don't have (and thus far, have not needed) a
moderator. Apparently, some groups do. (Not giving you a hard time, just
pointing out the obvious.)

Please tell your whiney-ass people that the folks on rec. audio.pro ...

A. - Don't give a rat's ass.

B. - Don't appreciate cross-posting of irrevevant bull**** by people who
have less than a clue about the suitability of ANY particular platform for
professional audio work.

Thank you...

And Happy Holidays.

Truth

Why Automatic transmissions are easier than Manual transmissions for most
people.

rapskat

Error log for Sun, 26 Dec 2004 19:16:25 -0500: slinky_silkworm caused a
Page Fault at address ,
details...

Is Linux a better operating system?

Yes, it is. Why you ask?

Configurable - Highly configurable and tweakable if you want that sort of
thing. You can mod a distro for performance, stability, security, speed
or a nice combination of all of these. With Linux, you can be assured
that you are getting the maximum performance from your hardware.

Variety - Different people have different priorities. The "one size fits
all" way of commercial operating systems usually doesn't. To get the
tools and apps that are important to you it is often necessary to spend
hundreds if not thousands more. Linux distros come in a variety of
different flavors to suit justabout any need. Their are pre-packaged
distros geared for ease of use, security, gaming, AV, producivity,
servers, and many other specialized areas.

Portability - Linux runs on every major hardware architecture in use
today. This means that you are not stuck with a particular OS just
because you use a particular arch. Got a PowerPC Mac? Linux will run it.
Got a SPARC? Linux will run it. Got a AMD64? Linux will run it. Etc.
This opens up choice to the user, so they are not limited.

Security - Linux was developed from the ground up with security in mind.
Unlike many commercial OSen where security was given a back seat to
"convenience", security is apriori on Linux. Patches and updates are
released AS NEW VULNERABILITIES ARE FOUND, *not* according to some
pre-determined release schedule. This means that fixes are available
before exploits are even made, which means that a regularly updated system
will be practically invulnerable to attack. Even a default distro out of
the box is multitudes more secure than an equivelant commercial OS like
Windows.

Cost - This is important, especially to someone who doesn't have thousands
of dollars to spend just to get basic functionality with their systems.
Distros of Linux come with the Open Source equivalent of thousands of
dollars worth of commercial applications and do just as well or better
than their expensive counterparts. Many of these packages are installed
by default, which means that there is no need for a user to have to
purchase or otherwise obtain and install anything extra in order to make
their systems useful to them. Literally thousands of additional packages
can be freely obtained from various online seources to provide even more
functionality.

Setup - Linux is designed to do as much as possible without user
intervention with regards to setup and maintenance. This means that
hardware is very often recognized and configured and ready for use at
boot, internet connections are automatically configured, new hardware can
be installed on the fly and setup with little or no user intervention.
Installing a distro is a relatively painless procedure even if one chooses
all defaults. Usually there is no need to install additional drivers
and/or software to have a fully functional system on common hardware.

Ease of Use - For an average user, this is important. Major modern
distros of Linux are just as or easier to use than Commercial OSen.
Distros such as Mandrake, Fedora, Xandros, Linspire or Suse (Novell) are
configured with the user experience in mind and make it a straightforward
and simple matter to use, maintain and configure the system with a wealth
of integrated management packages. Desktop Environments like KDE and
GNOME provide a completely self-contained, fully integrated and feature
rich environment with a wealth of native applications and an unified look
and feel to facilitate use. Many persons with little computer knowledge
have few or no problems at all making the transition from Windows or OSX
to Linux.

Functionality - For 99% of what the average user does with a computer,
Linux has more than enough fully featured, easy to use applications to
accomplish them that are available right from a base install. Creating
and editing documents, Burning CD's and DVD's, Reading and sending Email
and News, Web browsing, Playing various multimedia, file sharing, instant
messaging via various protocols, Managing finances, Transferring files,
Managing Files, Updating, installing and removing software, Getting Help,
Playing games, doing homework assignments, Creating and Editing video and
audio projects, Playing various Games, Viewing and editing pictures,
Printing, Scanning, educational software, chatting online, telecommuting,
doing research, etc. Even stuff that advanced users want to do can be
done with the free applications made available in Linux like programming
and development and running various servers.

Linux has unsurpassed value for the amount and diversity of software for
the price. It can be purchased as a boxed set or obtained for little or
no cost for free online. It can be installed on as many systems as you
like for free legally. It has no activation policy. It does not dictate
how you can use your own computer systems. It is practically malware
free. It is rock-solid stable when properly configured on good hardware.
It can be personalized to look and feel exactly how you want as an
individual. It supports virtually unlimited concurrent users. It has
many advanced features that facilitate use as a desktop system. It can
multitask efficiently even with many intensive tasks running concurrently.
It enjoys the support of millions of developers and users worldwide. It
is been used all over the globe by various governments, corporations,
businesses, institutions, organizations, and individuals on a daily basis
to provide their computing needs. It is the backbone of various crucial
services for various areas and is deployed in many mission critical tasks
on a global scale. It is being used by many Hollywood FX shops on both
the workstation and render-farm to create Movies and cinema. It is
deployed in the most powerful High Performance Computing Clusters in
existance.

Linux is the pinnacle of computing. It incorporates all of the best
ideologies, methodologies and technologies of modern computing into one
system that can be had by anyone for a song.

Your petty squabbles with Linux and Open Source are really irrelevant to
anyone but you in comparison.

--
rapskat - 20:10:05 up 3 days, 10:01, 6 users, load average: 0.35, 0.42, 0.43
The whole world is a tuxedo and you are a pair of brown shoes.

Henrietta

Kadaitcha Man wrote:

kier, , the run-of-the-mill, fly-covered slimeball,
and psychiatrist's patient, chided:

Okay, not all of us are hacker-dudes, but even a
noviece coder may be able to do something with the source, given
willingness and determination.

BWAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAAHAAHA!!!! You completely stupid ****. "willingness and
determination" cover off only attitude. You forgot aptitude. No doubt that
was Freudian.

You have fooled yourself yet again. Any competent Linux user knows that
"aptitude" is a technical measure of efficiency in downloading Debian
upgrades.
rapskat

Error log for Mon, 27 Dec 2004 01:56:47 +0000: Kadaitcha Man caused a
Page Fault at address
, details...

ray, , the overawed, close-minded shoe, and person
employed to empty cesspits and backyard toilets, brown-nosed:

I don't agree with your premise. I maintain that a properly installed
and set up Linux system is no harder to use than a properly installed
and set up MS system - it is just a little different.

That's only correct insofar as one's ability to switch OS goes, and is
dependent on the support one gets, amongst many other factors you
neglect to include. No doubt you left them out because you're a ****wit
and were hoping nobody would notice your shifty, two-step, sideways
shuffle.

For example:

1) A long-term and technically savvy windows user can switch to linux if
there is a willingness to give up on some old habits and learn new
ways to do the same thing. Technicaly savvy implies attitude and
aptitude to make such a switch.

2) A novice user (and I mean brand-new to OS technology, never exposed
windows) can take to using linux encased in a GUI with equal ease.

Note the qualification: "linux encased in a GUI"

3) Corporate shops can switch from one to the other provided they have
the requisite level of support and training in place for their users.

There's much than that, but even if you don't get the idea that you
speak only for yourself and out of total ****wittery, others will.

Holy ****! Did I just read a post from K-Man that (a) made sense, (b) was
well written and (c) didn't contain excessive amounts of verbal abuse?

Or maybe it's just the grog kicking in.

--
rapskat - 21:33:07 up 3 days, 11:24, 6 users, load average: 0.01, 0.15, 0.17
Why is it that we rejoice at a birth and grieve at a funeral? It is because we

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 21:21:50 -0500, rapskat wrote:

Error log for Sun, 26 Dec 2004 19:16:25 -0500: slinky_silkworm caused a
Page Fault at address ,
details...

Is Linux a better operating system?

Yes, it is. Why you ask?

No it's not.
Linux is a real joke, at least amongst audio professionals. Sure we
would like to get all of our programs for free, especially considering
our programs cost 1000's of dollars each.
However, the reality comes into play super fast when one takes a good
look at what the Linux offerings are.
In a nutshell, they are crude, not 1/2 done, beta quality crap
programs with little or no documentation and terrible hardware
support.

You can rant and rave all you wish but the bottom line remains and it
speaks volumes.

"Why on earth would ANYONE spend a dime for
Pro-tools/Cubase/Sonar/Waves/Logic/etc" when Linux, which is
supposedly faster, on an Intel system is an option?

Why?
Why?
Why?
Why?

Use your head for a change!!!!!

The honest answer is that Linux is a joke.
It can't do what the above programs can do.
In fact Linux can't even muster up enough ability to do what the crap
Voyetra software included with most **** soundcards can do.

It's a fact.
You can jump, twitch and vibrate all night long but the fact is albums
are made everyday with Windows and Mac software.

So if Linux is free where is it?
Answer nowhere...and that's a fact you can take to the bank.

Guess what would happen if Steinberg offered Nuendo free for a week?

The internet would stop due to traffic.

Linux is free every single day.
So where are it's users?

rapskat

Error log for Mon, 27 Dec 2004 01:47:11 +0000: Kadaitcha Man caused a
Page Fault at address
, details...

kier, , the run-of-the-mill, fly-covered
slimeball, and psychiatrist's patient, chided:

Okay, not all of us are hacker-dudes, but even a noviece coder may be
able to do something with the source, given willingness and
determination.

BWAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAAHAAHA!!!! You completely stupid ****. "willingness and
determination" cover off only attitude. You forgot aptitude. No doubt
that was Freudian.

Aptitude is irrelevant where willingness and determination are present.
Due to the readily available resources and free and open dissemimination
of knowledge in the Open Source Community, all it takes is the right
attitude.

aside
You watch... whoosh!

Yeah, you rarely get it.

--
rapskat - 21:54:25 up 3 days, 11:45, 6 users, load average: 1.62, 1.52, 0.87
You don't become a failure until you're satisfied with being one.

rapskat

Error log for Mon, 27 Dec 2004 00:24:31 +0000: Moderator caused a Page
Fault at address
.windows-xp, details...

"DO NOT post messages that create new threads that have any relationship
to the Linux OS and its various implementations."

None of the groups listed in the OP is moderated, you delusional ****.

Lemme guess, you were Gibson in your previous life, right?

--
rapskat - 22:00:37 up 3 days, 11:51, 6 users, load average: 1.61, 1.59, 1.11
When in doubt, tell the truth.

DakaT

Kadaitcha Man spake of :

Yeah, you rarely get it.

I have no dick. Is it some kind of surpriseargumentat I never "get
it"? London to civilityf **** says I get far more vaginal secretions
on my face in a week than you get on your dick in a decade.

licks eyebrows

You're a contortionist and can stick your head between your own legs,
whoopee. You can't however mount an argument that stays within the
realms of civility or refrain from using profanities due to your
complete lack of anything like the vocabulary of a reasonably literate
10 year old. Sometimes you do have some relevant points to make but as
soon as you are disagreed with you swear and carry on like a typically
uneducated child, it's a pity really that mummy and daddy haven't
taught you better how to behave in public. I predict a sad lonely life
locked away in a darkened room with only your computer and the internet
for company.

--
what has an IQ of 100
100 M$ appologists of course.
rapskat

Error log for Sun, 26 Dec 2004 21:46:00 -0500: climinons caused a Page
Fault at address , details...

"Why on earth would ANYONE spend a dime for
Pro-tools/Cubase/Sonar/Waves/Logic/etc" when Linux, which is supposedly
faster, on an Intel system is an option?

What, pray tell, does this have ****-all to do with "Linux"?!? Nothing,
nada, nilch, ninguno, zero, zilch, a big goose-egg, null.

You are talking about COMMERCIAL APPLICATIONS that are developed by a
vendor for a particular platform. If said vendor doesn't create a version
of the product for Linux, does this imply some lack on Linux? No.

So, where are the HP-UX, Solaris, AIX, Irix, or FreeBSD versions of these
applications? Huh, what's that? That's right, THERE ARE NONE! Does this
mean that all of these platforms are "a joke" IYO as well? I don't think
so, natch.

If these vendors ever did port these apps to Linux, I can guarantee that
they would perform at least 10X better than on Windows.

Get a fscking clue, idiot.

--
rapskat - 22:23:16 up 3 days, 12:14, 6 users, load average: 2.27, 1.85, 1.64
Let him choose out of my files, his projects to accomplish.

Talbot

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 22:30:23 -0500, rapskat wrote:

[...]

Ever hear of VMWare?
WineX?

YOUR argument makes no sense.

Nice try though...

rapskat

Error log for Mon, 27 Dec 2004 02:42:51 +0000: Kadaitcha Man caused a
Page Fault at address
, details...

.

Sorry, did you bleat something?

--
rapskat - 22:30:56 up 3 days, 12:21, 6 users, load average: 1.73, 1.65, 1.61
Let me put it this way: today is going to be a learning experience.

Henrietta

Kadaitcha Man wrote:

Henrietta, , the cissy, slowgoing duck, and maid who
attends to the bedroom and tucks in the bedclothes, oozed:

Kadaitcha Man wrote:

kier, , the run-of-the-mill, fly-covered
slimeball, and psychiatrist's patient, chided:

Okay, not all of us are hacker-dudes, but even a
noviece coder may be able to do something with the source, given
willingness and determination.

BWAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAAHAAHA!!!! You completely stupid ****. "willingness
and determination" cover off only attitude. You forgot aptitude. No
doubt that was Freudian.

You have fooled yourself yet again. Any competent Linux user knows that
"aptitude" is a technical measure of efficiency in downloading Debian
upgrades.

If it is granted, for the purposes of argument only, that your statement
is correct, the fact remains that 99.999999% of people never notice.

I'm afraid that you are again in error. Several noticed, and winced in
embarrassment.

It
has something to do with interspersed diatribe taking their meagre
attention span on a ride down the garden path.

I'm sure that you are partly correct in that diagnosis, but I would not be
so dismissive of the readers in this NG when posting here.

So, did you write the cussing filter yourself or is your wetnurse a bit of
a prude?

Why do you have such a deep interest in these two matters?

DakaT

Kadaitcha Man spake of :

DakaT, , the sauteed, paltry hippy, and real
estate agent, ruminated:

You can't however mount an argument that stays within the
realms of civility or refrain from using profanities due to your
complete lack of anything like the vocabulary of a reasonably
literate 10 year old.

That is provably false.

Only probably, proves my point doesn't it ?

Sometimes you do have some relevant points to make but as
soon as you are disagreed with you swear and carry on like a
typically uneducated child, it's a pity really that mummy and daddy
haven't taught you better how to behave in public. I predict a sad
lonely life locked away in a darkened room with only your computer
and the internet for company.

Did you know that those who bring up words and phrases such as "10
year old", "child" and "mummy and daddy" in usenet posts have a high
propensity to paedophilia and may actually be expressing their hidden
desires in public? And does your local constabulary know about what
you do?

What a load of rubbish. Maybe they've just seen too many idiots like you
around and feel it's the only words their limited intelligence will
understand, have you ever thought of that. No but then you and thought
in the same room or sentence are mutally exclusive aren't they ?
Accusing others of this behaviour is just like the gay haters, you're
afraid of your own body and feel that you are unable to function
adequately and try to shift onto others what you believe you might be
but are too afraid to admit it.

--
what has an IQ of 100
100 M$ appologists of course.
Liam Slider

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 22:31:00 -0500, Talbot wrote:

And Linux doesn't have commercial applications?

Um...he never said that dimwit.

Peter Von Gasenhousen

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 18:10:51 -0500, rapskat wrote:

Nah, I just can't be arsed, as you say. Unlike you, I don't have
unlimited time to respond, then counter-respond, then
counter-counter-respond, etc. unto perpetuity. I can usually make my
point in one or two posts, after that, it's just masturbation.

If you can't take the time to read the documentation, you have no right to
be advocating Linux.
Looking at your posting history shows many lengthly pro Linux posts so why
are you folding like a cheap camera now?

Now you say...

Same thing anyone would say:
Read the doc and use them to your advantage.
If you can't read, go back to Windowz where you belong.
PVG

Tim Smith

In article , rapskat wrote:
Portability - Linux runs on every major hardware architecture in use
today. This means that you are not stuck with a particular OS just
because you use a particular arch. Got a PowerPC Mac? Linux will run it.

And with Mac on Linux, you can run OS X as a user-mode process under Linux,
giving you the best of both worlds. If you don't mind the cost of the
hardware, probably the best computing platform you can get right now would
be a G5 Mac with Linux and MOL.

Security - Linux was developed from the ground up with security in mind.

Unfortunately, most of the applications in a typical distrubtion weren't
developed with security in mind. :-( Hell, most distributions still even
include sendmail (although fortunately many now default to something sane,
like postfix).

--
--Tim Smith

Henrietta

Kadaitcha Man wrote:

Henrietta, , the stippled, swag-bellied transexual,
and rabbit catcher, lectured:

Kadaitcha Man wrote:

kier, , the run-of-the-mill, fly-covered
slimeball, and psychiatrist's patient, chided:

Okay, not all of us are hacker-dudes, but even a noviece coder may be
able to do something with the source, given willingness and
determination.

BWAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAAHAAHA!!!! You completely stupid ****. "willingness
and determination" cover off only attitude. You forgot aptitude. No
doubt that was Freudian.

You have fooled yourself yet again. Any competent Linux user knows that
"aptitude" is a technical measure of efficiency in downloading Debian
upgrades.

If it is granted, for the purposes of argument only, that your statement
is correct, the fact remains that 99.999999% of people never notice.

I'm afraid

It's called a false sense of security.

No, it's called a figure of speech.

that you are again in error. Several noticed, and winced in
embarrassment.

About these several. Are they in the same ward with you?

Now, how lame is that? For shame.

If not, how did
you detect the winces of embarrassment via usenet posts that were never
made?

Simple electronic osmosis. You might have an inkling of the process, given
your claim to know for a fact that a high % of people never notice.

It has something to do with interspersed diatribe taking their meagre
attention span on a ride down the garden path.

I'm sure that you are partly correct in that diagnosis, but I would not
be so dismissive of the readers in this NG when posting here.

Clearly you are out of your depth.

Since my depth is unknown to you, that is an obvious [ ]. --- self-
selection of "lie", "delusion" or both.

A postulation is not a diagnosis.

So? Irrelevant. It was not even remotely claimed. You clearly make this up
as you bumble along.

It
follows then that 'be[ing] so dismissive of the readers in this NG' is
justified and warranted based on your collective dumb****ery alone.

It does not follow, but I'll accept your conclusion that birds of a feather
flock together. Just how long have you been reading this NG? It must be,
what, days?

That aside, do you really feel that you're worth more than mere ridicule
and pillory?

Quite lame. Are you weary with recycling such nonsense?

But seriously, what else is on offer?

So, did you write the cussing filter yourself or is your wetnurse a bit
of a prude?

Why do you have such a deep interest in these two matters?

I'm concerned with the former rather than the latter. It's not easy coming
up with new curse phrases to bork a well-written cussing filter.

I'm not really surprised at that, you will be amazed to hear.

You fourpenny, tubby wet-nurse. and similar snipped

It is very open and honest of you to share your deeper interests with the
world, or such part of it as is represented by this NG. But should you be
so revealing of the poverty of your inner life? You might read it yourself,
by accident, and be severely mortified. But perhaps not...

Noted that you have no concern about your wetnurse's prudery.
Liam Slider

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 21:46:00 -0500, climinons wrote:

Pro-tools/Cubase/Sonar/Waves/Logic/etc"

Pro-tools: Ardour

Cubase: Rosegarden

Sonar: Ummm...Ardour again? Or M.TRAX Digital Audio Workstation?

Waves: They do mostly mastering software right? So the comparable software
would be JAMin.

Logic: Sequencer right? Rosegarden again. Although there are many many
more. Rosegarden is great.

I'm surprised you left out things like trackers, we have a fine selection
of those too, like Soundtracker and Cheesetracker.

And with Jack, our audio applications can work together seamlessly, fully
integrated in a way you simply cannot get on Windows.

Yes yes, the question of "why spend all that money?" is a very valid one.
Why would you? But I guess if you want to have something of quality on
such an unstable, POS, OS you just *have* to pay for it.

Liam Slider

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 21:46:00 -0500, climinons wrote:

Linux is a real joke, at least amongst audio professionals.

Yeah, like at this studio...

http://www.multitrack.us/