song writer

Default What is your opinion on Wharfedale Diamond Pro 8.2?

I just purchased a pair of monitors for my Pro Tools LE system. They are
the Wharfedale Diamond Pro 8.2 version. I got them for around $400.00. Can
anyone tell me if these speakers are worth it? I could not afford the $1,200
for the pair I truly wanted. Maybe someday. I still have a few weeks before
I can return these studio speakers. However, I am hoping I made the right
decision. I want good mid range, good bass, and nice highs.
What is your opinion on these speakers?

I can use these speakers on the Korg Digital Keyboard
I'm going to purchase, correct?

And what type of cables will I need to hook these up to my 001 Pro Tool box?

Get the idea I am starting out? Well you're right!
Thanks for your help.
Songwriter

Peter Larsen

song writer wrote:

I just purchased a pair of monitors for my Pro Tools LE system.
They are the Wharfedale Diamond Pro 8.2 version. I got them
for around $400.00.

Aha, cheaper loudspeakers exist, but these have kevlar cones, and those
do cost, also in cross-over complexity.

Can anyone tell me if these speakers are worth it?

No. Just one reason: you don't tell us anything about the size of room
you want to use them in.

But based on specs found online they easily makes it to an imaginary
short list of things to listen to if I was shopping around for something
small two way, curren't I am not. See also:

http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/review_print.asp?ID=2096

- they have listened to it, I haven't, and they do btw. also have
placement advice. Long term you probably want to supplement with a pair
of subs from the same series, do be aware that monitoring requires
stereo subs, there is no way to hear out of phase stuff on a mono sub.

I can use these speakers on the Korg Digital Keyboard
I'm going to purchase, correct?

That might be insane. Give it a pair of JBL Control 1xtreme or perhaps a
pair of similarly priced low budget Behringers, it could be easy to
damage something with a musical instrument, don't risk damaging your
primary monitors.

And what type of cables will I need to hook these up to my 001 Pro Tool box?

One with amplification, i.e. you need also a power amp in the 50 to 100
watt range, remember to add an attenuator to its input, 12 dB comes to
mind. Which is to say that you need a line level cable from the "001" to
the poweramp and some loudspeaker cables from the power amp to the
loudspeakers. A second hand NAD 302 or similar may have good mileage,
also because it allows you to separate preamp and poweramp.

Get the idea I am starting out? Well you're right!

To other newbies out there I will suggest that their monitoring system
is what they will need to evaluate whatever else they try with the
intent of purchasing, it is perhaps better considered first rather than
last.

Do not initially waste money on overcostly cabling. It is a different
discussion whether cables sound differently and whether it matters,
first get you act together with sensibly priced over the counter stuff.
Then it could be time to get a weller soldering iron and learn soldering
with it, and consider getting an assortment of reasonable quality plugs
and jacks and a lenght of reasonable quality mic cable that will fit
also into RCA phonoplugs and DIY.

Whatever RAP CD's as may be available, perhaps vinyl even - with
covernotes off of the website with those - may be very useful for you.
They are designed to be educational and contain a large number of well
documented example recordings.

Songwriter

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Peter Larsen

song writer wrote:

[...]

NHT SuperZero vs. Wharfedale Diamond series [email protected] Audio Opinions 2 December 12th 04 07:36 PM
Wharfedale Alun P Tech 6 December 2nd 04 06:05 AM
opinion on bookshelf speakers dingusmcgee Audio Opinions 3 June 27th 04 03:05 AM
Wharfedale Diamond bookshelf Speakers , excellent condition 75 watts $80 lucky649 Tech 8 May 6th 04 12:44 PM
FS or FT...Boston and Diamond Stuff Douglas Conder Car Audio 0 April 23rd 04 05:52 AM