Mike Sullivan

Default positive and negative color/pattern schemes on speaker wire

I am replacing the front door mounted stock speakers in my '94 Honda Civic.
Not only does Honda use a seemingly proprietory wire connector (that I had
to cut off) they also do not indicate which wire is positive and which one
is negative. I have connected the wires to my new speakers both ways and
each way seems to work fine...however I know that there is only one truly
good way connect them (positive to positive, negative to negative). Honda
has colored one wire solid blue and the other is striped grey and black

Based on this scheme, can anyone tell me which wire is likely to positive
and which one is likely to be negative?

Thanks,
Mike

Scott Gardner

Mike Sullivan wrote:

I am replacing the front door mounted stock speakers in my '94 Honda
Civic. Not only does Honda use a seemingly proprietory wire connector
(that I had to cut off) they also do not indicate which wire is positive
and which one is negative. I have connected the wires to my new speakers
both ways and each way seems to work fine...however I know that there is
only one truly good way connect them (positive to positive, negative to
negative). Honda has colored one wire solid blue and the other is striped
grey and black

Based on this scheme, can anyone tell me which wire is likely to positive
and which one is likely to be negative?

Thanks,
Mike

Here are the wiring colour codes for a 1994 Civic, courtesy of
www.the12volt.com:

Constant 12V+ Blue/White
Switched 12V+ Yellow/Red
Ground Black