Default replacing headphone ear cushion foam

Hi,

I have Koss HV/PRO headphones which I really like. The problem is
that the headphone foam has rotted, and Koss doesn't carry it any more.
They offered to replace the headphones under their lifetime warranty
for their Ur40's. Questions:

1. Is there any place I might find replacement cushions, preferably
closed leatherette? (Koss has nothing that would fit.)
The ear cushion is circular with an outer diameter of about 3.25 inches
and an inner diameter of about 1.5 inches.

2. If I had to make my own ear cushion (leatherette or foam), what
material should I use?

3. Does anyone know the relative quality of the Ur40's? Would they
be better than the HV/Pro's that I have?

Related links:
HV/PRO: Not many specs available on the web, but one guy's has some he
http://www.overclockers.com.au/techs...nheiser_hd570/
(about 2/3 down the page)
Ur40's: http://www.koss.com/koss/kossweb.nsf...ductPrint/UR40

Thanks,
Omar

Mark A

wrote in message ...
[...]

Tell Koss that a UR40 is an unacceptable substitution for the HV/Pro. Tell
them you expect the Pro4AA, and then settle for the Pro3AA if they offer it.

Tell them you contact the FTC for being in violation of their warranty if
they don't come up with a satisfactory solution.

Steve Burgess

wrote in message ...
[...]

I have an old pair of headphones from radio shack... can't remember the
model anymore...
But They are koss ( only name visible on them at all thankfully :-) )
I love them and the same thing, the Foams totally disintegrated....
Used some carpet underlay (the grey foam type) to make new ones.... seems to
be fine...
No effect on the sound and still comfortable.....

In article ,
Steve Burgess wrote:

wrote in message ...
Hi,

I have Koss HV/PRO headphones which I really like. The problem is
that the headphone foam has rotted, and Koss doesn't carry it any more.
They offered to replace the headphones under their lifetime warranty
for their Ur40's. Questions:

[...]
2. If I had to make my own ear cushion (leatherette or foam), what
material should I use?

I have an old pair of headphones from radio shack... can't remember the
model anymore...
But They are koss ( only name visible on them at all thankfully :-) )
I love them and the same thing, the Foams totally disintegrated....
Used some carpet underlay (the grey foam type) to make new ones.... seems to
be fine...
No effect on the sound and still comfortable.....

Thanks for the tip. I'm not sure I know exactly what you're referring
to (got a URL?), but I'll look around and give it a try.

Any other suggestions for DIY foam?

Omar

tweak

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 07:01:32 GMT, wrote:

In article ,
Steve Burgess wrote:

wrote in message ...
[...]

Not familiar with that model of headphone.
Is it a solid piece of foam or a circular/oval doughnut type?
Either way you can get foam blocks and cut it to fit.
It'll require a good exacto knife as well as a good sharp long blade,
a kitchen knife will do.(I use a razor sharp bread knife.)
Do be careful though!
The foam I use I get from the local camera store. It's used in camera
cases and is a grey microcell foam.(you might have a look at what's
available from your local fabric shop/upholstery shop as well though
it may only be white.
You can usually with a bit of practice cut fairly good representations
of the original pieces.
Then glue them on using a contact spray adhesive.(spray mount or 3m 66
spray.)

seamonkey

This is the same as realistic pro60 phones. Just ordered new pads for mine
from the shack. Under 10 bucks delivered.
I bought my phones in '85. This will be the 3rd set of new pads for it.
Still a good phone. My Grado sr60's sound better, But are not as comfotable.
Good Luck
By the way they will have a hard time finding the part number at the shack,