Default MA Audio HK602SX - Can you get too much of a good thing?!

Here's my quandry...

I got a good deal on a new MA Audio HK602SX, some specs as follows...

2 x 400W RMS @ 4 Ohm Stereo
2 x 700W RMS @ 2 Ohm Stereo
2 x 1200W RMS @ 1 Ohm Stereo
2 x 1800W RMS @ 0.5 Ohm Stereo
1 x 3600W RMS @ 1 Ohm Bridged
THD @ 4 0hm 0.05%
THD @ 2 0hm 0.1%
THD @ 1 0hm 1.0%
S/N Ratio: 90dB
Channel Separation: 60dB
Frequency Response: 20-20kHz

It was my intention to use a mere fraction of these ratings to run a
pair of ancient Phoenix Gold Xmax 10 subs in a 2K Celica for a time
untill I expand the system. Power wise I figured I'd never have to
buy another sub amp. That was until I chalked up the ballpark current
draw of all 6 40A fuses in this beast (the only thing I couldn't find
out b4 hand.). As something between a newb and a novice I'm afraid an
80A alternator may croak w/o warning. Since I already have it
though, can it be done w/o melting or replacing the electrical system
in the car and/or limiting the stereo volume to something like...2 (of
35)?

Any additonal comments on the amp are also appreciated. Also,
depending on how this thread pans out, any1 looking to get ahold of 1
of these for a decent $.

Thanks for your time,

Lurking.
Mark Zarella

[...]

Will it burn up your alt? I dunno. How's your self-control?

That amp is probably as efficient as most other class AB amps. So, your
alternator won't know the difference between running a 500 watt amp at full
tilt and running this amp at 500 watts (that is, not at full tilt). You
could keep it if you'd like, and you'd get superb performance out of it with
a ton of headroom. But if money is an issue, you could just sell this thing
and buy an amp that suits your needs for half the money. If you're really
concerned about your electrical system, sell this amp and buy a class D.

TheBIessedDead

That amp is probably as efficient as most other class AB amps. So, your
alternator won't know the difference between running a 500 watt amp at full
tilt and running this amp at 500 watts (that is, not at full tilt). You
could keep it if you'd like, and you'd get superb performance out of it with
a ton of headroom. But if money is an issue, you could just sell this thing
and buy an amp that suits your needs for half the money. If you're really
concerned about your electrical system, sell this amp and buy a class D.

How much more efficient are class D amps? I am reaching a similiar point with
my own install. I have a 2001 Dodge Stratus with the 2.4 litre engine, and I
already have a Fosgate 360a2 to run my front end.... I have an Autotek XS
1500.1 that I'd love to use, but I'm a bit scared of taxing my charging system
myself. It is a class D amp, so how does that affect things? I'm thinking of
just running it at a higher impendence (It is 1ohm mono stable), so I don't get
too much stress on my alt. If I was to run it at 4 ohm, would I have less to
worry about there?

Nick

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 00:08:43 -0500, "Mark Zarella"
wrote:

[...]

Could you be a bit more specific about "self-control"? In hind sight
I'd probably blow my subs out of their baskets with a little effort b4
any serious power trouble. Initially I shopped around for a class D,
but the few I came across were in the "insert brand name here" high
end lines, which far exceeded the 3 bills & change this 1 cost me.
However, the recent thread regarding price vs performance has been
very enlightening! Any suggestions where to look or what to look for?

Lurking.
Mark Zarella

That amp is probably as efficient as most other class AB amps. So, your
alternator won't know the difference between running a 500 watt amp at

full
tilt and running this amp at 500 watts (that is, not at full tilt). You
could keep it if you'd like, and you'd get superb performance out of it

with
a ton of headroom. But if money is an issue, you could just sell this

thing
and buy an amp that suits your needs for half the money. If you're

really
concerned about your electrical system, sell this amp and buy a class D.

How much more efficient are class D amps?

Usually you're looking at 50% efficiency for AB and 80% class D. But
quiescent current draw for class D isn't a whole lot different from AB, so
in the long run the difference may not be quite as big.

I am reaching a similiar point with
my own install. I have a 2001 Dodge Stratus with the 2.4 litre engine,

and I
already have a Fosgate 360a2 to run my front end.... I have an Autotek XS
1500.1 that I'd love to use, but I'm a bit scared of taxing my charging

system
myself. It is a class D amp, so how does that affect things? I'm

thinking of
just running it at a higher impendence (It is 1ohm mono stable), so I

don't get
too much stress on my alt. If I was to run it at 4 ohm, would I have less

worry about there?

Nah. Go ahead and run the low impedance load. Worst case scenario is this:
if you wanted to drop down to the amount of power you'd normally be using
with a 4 ohm load, you could just lower the gains on the amp and you'd be
down to that 4 ohm power, but you'd have a lot of headroom.

Mark Zarella

[...]

Well that's what I mean by self-control. Don't crank it all the way up.

Initially I shopped around for a class D,
but the few I came across were in the "insert brand name here" high
end lines, which far exceeded the 3 bills & change this 1 cost me.
However, the recent thread regarding price vs performance has been
very enlightening! Any suggestions where to look or what to look for?

You can get the Directed, MTX, USAcoustics, Autotek, etc class D amps for
under $400 new. You should see what you can get for that amp you have now
(check ebay prices) and if you think you'd make a substantial profit, go for
it. Otherwise, there's no need to replace what you have. There's no
benefit to it aside from money. The difference between class D and AB may
or may not be all that dramatic for you.

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 19:46:25 GMT, EFFENDI
wrote:

[Snippage]

Any additonal comments on the amp are also appreciated. Also,
depending on how this thread pans out, any1 looking to get ahold of 1
of these for a decent $.

Thanks for your time,

Lurking.

I might be interested in buying one depending on the price...

EFFENDI

I checked ebay to determine a decent price...There is actually 1
there...

Check it out,

Lurking.