John

Default FAQ ? & home vs car speakers & DIY speaker box

I could not find a FAQ area. Is there one, and if so how do I get to it?

What is the difference between auto and home speakers? Can I use 8 ohm car
speakers on my home system? I have a Kenwood Home Theater system without
speakers and I want to use some car speakers until I can find what I really
want.

Is there a web site that would help me with my basic questions?

Is there a web site that would give directions on how to build speaker
boxes, cases or what ever they are called?

Thanks
John Sands

Tomi Holger Engdahl

"John" writes:

I could not find a FAQ area. Is there one, and if so how do I get to it?

What is the difference between auto and home speakers?

Here are few differences:

They are designed to different acoustical enviroments in the mind.
The main design differences are in wanted subwoofer response
when designing subwoofer enclosure (inside car is a small place
and you need to take ino account how it affects bass response).

Car elements are generally designed to withstand conditions
in car (can get hot, cold and wometimes lots of moisture etc.).
Home speakers are generally designed for normal living home
conditions in mind.

Car speakers are usually designd to have 4 ohms impedance
(easier to get lots of powerfrom low voltage power supply)
while many home speaker systems are targeted for around
8 ohms impedance.

Can I use 8 ohm car speakers on my home system?

It should work technically.
Can't be sure what is the soudn quality you get.

I have a Kenwood Home Theater system without
speakers and I want to use some car speakers until I can find what I really
want.

Is there a web site that would help me with my basic questions?

Is there a web site that would give directions on how to build speaker
boxes, cases or what ever they are called?

Check the links and information at
http://www.epanorama.net/links/audiospeakers.html

--
Tomi Engdahl (http://www.iki.fi/then/)