Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Lewis Lewis is offline

Default 5z3 rectifier

Hi,
My understanding of tube rectifiers is somewhat limited, and I'm hoping
to get some help here.

I've seen the basic schematic of a four-pin full-wave tube rectifier
depicted at least two ways, and I'm confused. I've seen it this way:
http://oldradio.qrz.ru/tubes/foreign/01/5Z3.gif
In this configuration, what is done with the center tap of the 5V winding?

I've also seen it where the B+ appears to be taken from the center tap
of the 5V windings, like http://www.anthemav.com/OldSitev1/pdf/taste.pdf
(page 28)

Assuming both of these are acceptable, which is preferable and why?
Thanks,
Lewis
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Phil Allison Phil Allison is offline

"Lewis"

I've seen the basic schematic of a four-pin full-wave tube rectifier
depicted at least two ways, and I'm confused. I've seen it this way:
http://oldradio.qrz.ru/tubes/foreign/01/5Z3.gif
In this configuration, what is done with the center tap of the 5V winding?

** Huh ?? There ain't one.

I've also seen it where the B+ appears to be taken from the center tap of
the 5V windings, like http://www.anthemav.com/OldSitev1/pdf/taste.pdf
(page 28)

Assuming both of these are acceptable, which is preferable and why?

** If there is a heater CT - then use it for the DC out.

Supply ripple voltage will be more symmetrical on each half cycle -
eliminating any 50 /60 Hz component.

....... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Lewis Lewis is offline

Phil Allison wrote:
"Lewis"

I've seen the basic schematic of a four-pin full-wave tube rectifier
depicted at least two ways, and I'm confused. I've seen it this way:
http://oldradio.qrz.ru/tubes/foreign/01/5Z3.gif
In this configuration, what is done with the center tap of the 5V winding?

** Huh ?? There ain't one.

I've also seen it where the B+ appears to be taken from the center tap of
the 5V windings, like http://www.anthemav.com/OldSitev1/pdf/taste.pdf
(page 28)

Assuming both of these are acceptable, which is preferable and why?

** If there is a heater CT - then use it for the DC out.

Supply ripple voltage will be more symmetrical on each half cycle -
eliminating any 50 /60 Hz component.

...... Phil

Thanks, Phil. If I understand you correctly, I should use the second
configuration if the transformer has a heater CT. I'm using a Hammond
272JX and it has a 5V 4A center-tapped rectifier section, so I'll plan
to take DC from the CT of that section.
Lewis