Posted to rec.audio.opinion
trs80 trs80 is offline

Default WHy receiver hdmi's?

What is the benefit of using a reciever that takes HDMI?
I see lots of discussion and concern about this.

But I not clear on the benefits a receiver provides that has HDMI?

Im my case my TV already has two HDMI inputs for DVD and DVR.
I would plan on sending coax or fiber digital to the receiver for audio. In
that case its still only a single cable to the reciever as it would be with
HDMI.

Any ideas on what the fuss is about?

thanks in advance.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

"trs80" wrote in message
newsnkQg.2824$rg1.2462@dukeread01...
What is the benefit of using a reciever that takes HDMI?
I see lots of discussion and concern about this.

But I not clear on the benefits a receiver provides that has HDMI?

Im my case my TV already has two HDMI inputs for DVD and DVR.
I would plan on sending coax or fiber digital to the receiver for audio.
In that case its still only a single cable to the reciever as it would be
with HDMI.

Any ideas on what the fuss is about?

thanks in advance.

If you have a high def cable box, then it can feed video and five channels
of sound into the receiver. Ditto an upconverting DVD player. Ditto a
BluRay or DVD-HD player. One cable, many channels. And then a HDMI cable
"out" of the receiver to the input of the TV. Maximum picture quality (in
theory) and maximum simplicity, with sources switched "all-at-once".

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message
. ..

"trs80" wrote in message
[...]

I forgot to mention that a goodly number of these HDMI-equipped receivers
also upconvert convention inputs such as S-Video, Component Video, even a
VCR's composite video output.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
TT TT is offline

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message
. ..
:
: "Harry Lavo" wrote in message
: . ..
:
: "trs80" wrote in message
[...]
Are you referring to the "simplicity" of HDMI ver.1, 1.2 or
the new 1.3 with the different plug sizes that makes all the
others obsolete? Oh and that's assuming *ALL* connected
components (including leads) meet the 1.3 standard so the
high def. signal does actually make it through. And that's
this week and it will probably all change again in the near
future ;-)

Here's my prediction "HD-DVD & BluRay" are dead ducks! I
can't see too many people here changing all their gear to
gain some dubious quality improvement. I would suggest to
the OP to keep with component and buy a good up-scaler.

Regards TT