Phil V.

Default weber copper cap rectifier replacement

http://www.thetubestore.com/wb-wz34.html

I know that these are intended for guitar amps. However, I'm curious what
I would be in for if I used these in an EICO hf-35 to reduce the power
Xfmr load. What would be the audible result? Anyone try this? (I ask
because my cats destroyed one rectifier and I need to buy something anyhow.)

Thanks,
Phil
Jon Yaeger

I've used the product in a number of amps and basically it changes the
sound like changing from a tube to solid state rectifier, e.g. less
compression under load.

Personally, I'm not aware of any degradation of sound and in fact it may
improve it. They incorporate dropping resistors to prevent the B+ from
getting too high.

Try it - they're certainly cheap enough.

- Jon

Ronald

Try it - they're certainly cheap enough.

I think $21.95 is quite some price for a pair of 1N4007's and 2 resistors .
I just would made something like the Weber myself and use the socket of
the old broken rect. tube .....

Ronald .

Chris Berry

"Ronald" wrote in message
Try it - they're certainly cheap enough.

I think $21.95 is quite some price for a pair of 1N4007's and 2 resistors

..
I just would made something like the Weber myself and use the socket of
the old broken rect. tube .....

AFAIK - the copper caps also have a soft start - just what you need if you
haven't got a standby switch.
A little bitty more than your 2 resistors...
There's also built in sag
http://www.webervst.com/ccap.html
cb

Chuck

I agree. I have a copper cap 5U4 replacement. A few measurements on it
clearly show that it has some non-linear elements - probably varistors- in
it as well as diodes and some fixed resistance. I havent tried it in an
audio amp yet.

--Chuck

.
I just would made something like the Weber myself and use the socket of
the old broken rect. tube .....

AFAIK - the copper caps also have a soft start - just what you need if you
haven't got a standby switch.
A little bitty more than your 2 resistors...
There's also built in sag
http://www.webervst.com/ccap.html
cb

Tubetwang

"Ronald" wrote in message
Try it - they're certainly cheap enough.

I think $21.95 is quite some price for a pair of 1N4007's and 2

resistors
.
I just would made something like the Weber myself and use the socket of
the old broken rect. tube .....

AFAIK - the copper caps also have a soft start - just what you need if you
haven't got a standby switch.
A little bitty more than your 2 resistors...
There's also built in sag
http://www.webervst.com/ccap.html
cb

The Weber copper cap is a fine product and should be mandatory in
every tuber's lunch box.

Twangfully.
Jon Yaeger

I guess they've raised their prices since I bought a few. I really didn't
understand how or why they should sell them so cheap. I agree with Twang
that it's a good thing to have in the caddy.

I've experienced flashover with some 5AR4s and the Copper Cap solved the
problem. I know that Jim McShane and others like the new Chinese Ruby 5AR4s
but my experience with them has been disappointing. NOS US types are on the
order of $35 each, so the Copper Cap is a good and cost-effective solution.

I'm not sure I'm wild about the appearance, but I can't recommend anything
better.

Jon

Rob & Lyn Lewis

I don't know what's really inside this thing. It could be as simple as a
pair of 1N4007s in a fancy tube base. It is probably much better than that,
but it's hard to tell. There are many new 5AR4s out there and/or you can
buy an old one for $50 or so. I don't trust a solid state replacement
unless there is full disclosure as to how it is designed to work. Your
amplifier is already working at a bit higher voltage than it was designed
for due to our higher line voltage compared to 50 years ago. A solid state
replacement usually does not drop as much voltage or warm up slowly enough.
I'd stick with what your amplifier was designed to use. By reducing the
filament load by 10W or so with the SS plug in, you might be putting a very
high B+ voltage on your old coupling caps and end up overstressing the gain
and power tubes until they warm up.

In your application a 5R4GA or GB will plug in. The GA is larger and
thinner, a bit like a 6CA7 in size. The GB is shorter and fatter, close to
a 5U4GB. It is a bit larger tube I have used in some EICO amplifiers in the
past. Although it will be warm too quickly for the design, it will drop the
B+ closer to what your amplifier was designed to handle (less than the stock
5AR4) due to the higher internal drop in the 5R4 compensating for the higher
line voltage we now have. They should be about $10 each.

BTW, How'd the cat get the tube? Mine have never done that, but they have
made sorting tubes after the swap meet a bit of an adventure from time to
time.

Rob