Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Default free EQ match plug in for Audacity?

On 9/05/2019 8:16 AM, James Price wrote:
On Wednesday, May 8, 2019 at 2:36:30 PM UTC-5, Scott Dorsey wrote:
James Price wrote:

It's a matter of efficiency, not laziness. Assuming we were both given the
same starting tone to work from, I have little doubt I could match a given
reference tone far faster and with greater accuracy using EQ matching software
than you could by ear using EQ alone.

I wouldn't want to use EQ if I could help it, I'd move the microphone or
change the amp position or change out the microphone. The better you track,
the more you get the sound in the room and at the mike, the less EQ you need
to get things to work. EQ is a crutch.

If you don't have to use EQ, don't use it. That said, a calculator is a
crutch, albeit a very useful one.

A poor comparison.

For anything more than basic calculations a calculator is a necessary
and convenient tool (unless an arithmetic genius, or pencil-and-paper
fundamentalist), which is used almost exclusively.

OK many people wouldn't be able to do it long-handedly.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
James Price[_5_] James Price[_5_] is offline

On Wednesday, May 8, 2019 at 3:04:50 PM UTC-5, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 5/8/2019 1:02 PM, James Price wrote:
EQ matching is well suited in the case of a guitarist who has
a specific sound they're interested in replicating and to which they have a
reference track. If you can find a tone that the guitarist or producer agrees
is better than the reference, all the better.
than the reference,

But wouldn't the first step be to listen to what comes out of the
amplifier and adjust the amp, the guitar, and the playing to get the
sound you want - using your reference track as . . um . . a reference?

Or are we assuming that you're mixing a track that's fully baked, must
be part of the production, and will not be replaced? I'm glad that I
don't have to take jobs like that.

Either/or.

In the first instance, you could adjust the amp, guitar, mic/position, etc.
and use the reference track as a reference. That's obviously the most commonly
used option. I mean, if you can copy the sound of the reference by ear faster than you can EQ match it, great.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
James Price[_5_] James Price[_5_] is offline

On Wednesday, May 8, 2019 at 4:04:53 PM UTC-5, david gourley wrote:
James Price said...news:5ad95c4f-6e95-4d15-972c-
:

On Wednesday, May 8, 2019 at 5:11:40 AM UTC-5, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 5/8/2019 2:52 AM, James Price wrote:
Assuming we were both given the
same starting tone to work from, I have little doubt I could match a

given
reference tone far faster and with greater accuracy using EQ matching

software
than you could by ear using EQ alone.

And maybe I could find a better sound than the reference.

Quite possibly. EQ matching is well suited in the case of a guitarist who

has
a specific sound they're interested in replicating and to which they have

reference track. If you can find a tone that the guitarist or producer

agrees
is better than the reference, all the better.
than the reference,

AS a guitarist, I use different amps, guitars, and effects (when called
for) for any particular sound, and the rest is down to using favorable
microphones and positioning them.

If you didn't get the right tone the first time, try something else and re-
record it.

Or try re-amping. Anything like that will work better. Sometimes
"efficiency" just does not rock !

As a guitarist myself, the status quo is to use different amps, guitars,
mics, cabs or effects to create a particular sound, and re-amping can
be an effective option. Like re-amping, EQ matching is another option
that's effective for particular use cases. When applicable, it can be
extremely effective and efficient. It's simply another tool.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

James Price wrote:

[...]

In my opinion, it's a rather fitting comparison. There are many instances
where it's simply more convenient and faster to calculate numbers using a
calculator that it is to calculate them hand or in my head. If I need to
add a series of numbers, a calculator can save time.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
James Price[_5_] James Price[_5_] is offline

On Wednesday, May 8, 2019 at 3:06:08 PM UTC-5, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 5/8/2019 1:23 PM, James Price wrote:
I wasn't suggesting that EQ matching necessarily solves a problem. It
simplifies the process of replicating a given tone.

Isn't the problem: "I don't know how the heck they got that tone?"

That's not necessarily how I look at it, but that's one way to look at it.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

James Price wrote:

[...]

where it's simply more convenient and faster for me to calculate numbers using
a calculator than it is to calculate them by hand or in my head. If I need to
add a series of numbers, a calculator can save time.