[CM] Headphones

Old April 24th 17, 08:29 PM posted to comp.misc,rec.audio.tech
Michael Black[_2_]

Default [CM] Headphones -> Hearing aids

On Tue, 25 Apr 2017, geoff wrote:

> On 24/04/2017 7:45 PM, Trevor wrote:
>

>> Secondly if we are to take your statement literally then nobody should
>> wear ANY hearing aid for fear of damaging what is left of their hearing
>> at any frequency!
>>
>> I'm surprised people bother to make these comments without knowing
>> anything about hearing aids.
>>

> And despite me making no claim to know anything about audiology , it would
> still vastly surprise me that the simple remedy for a loss at a particular
> band is solely to boost the **** out of that band. 14k, 8k, 3k, or whatever.

What I remember is that the ear has two or maybe more levels of nerves to
detect sound, because otherwise the ear would be required to handle too
wide a dynamic range. I'm not sure how that translates to loss at higher
frequencies, but from what I was told, one could lose the ability to hear
low level sounds, but still hear loud sounds fine. This was decades ago,
and maybe it was a simplification for "the layman".

I don't think you can boost the high frequencies by too much, and expect
"perfect" hearing. One has to live with something in between "original"
and bad hearing.

Someone mentioned their parents or grandparents getting used to hearing
aids, and giving up. Apparently that's common, one adjusts to what there
is, so hearing aids can take time to adjust to. So I assume people adjust
to the level of improvement that a hearing aid can offer.

The electronics don't or didn't provide the same level of dynamic range as
regular ears, so AGC, automatic gain control, kicks in somewhere in
hearing aids, so that's another thing one has to adjust to.

Michael

Old April 25th 17, 11:02 AM posted to comp.misc,rec.audio.tech
Trevor

On 24/04/2017 10:08 PM, geoff wrote:
> On 24/04/2017 7:45 PM, Trevor wrote:
>> Secondly if we are to take your statement literally then nobody should
>> wear ANY hearing aid for fear of damaging what is left of their hearing
>> at any frequency!
>>
>> I'm surprised people bother to make these comments without knowing
>> anything about hearing aids.
>>

> And despite me making no claim to know anything about audiology , it
> would still vastly surprise me that the simple remedy for a loss at a
> particular band is solely to boost the **** out of that band. 14k, 8k,
> 3k, or whatever.

Be surprised then, hearing aids are available with over 80dB gain for
the profoundly deaf! Nobody claimed you would make that much adjustment
of ONLY one band besides you though. And apparently you still have no
idea that 14k is NOT a band covered by any hearing aid.

Old April 25th 17, 11:29 AM posted to comp.misc,rec.audio.tech
Trevor

On 25/04/2017 12:33 AM, Julian Macassey wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Apr 2017 17:58:03 +1000, Trevor > wrote:
>> On 24/04/2017 4:16 PM, Julian Macassey wrote:
>>>
>>> Yet the commebt was about their software phoning home.
>>> Something that Billyware does. Something that does nothing to
>>> improve the the working of the product, but is part of the
>>> bull**** marketing and hype.

>> Fortunately many of those who actually use Windows know you can easily
>> stop this. Apple does far more objectionable things IMO, but neither is
>> in the same league as Google and Facebook, or our own governments for
>> that matter. :-(

> Apple have much to answer for. A Windows adminisrator
> recently told me that the latest version of Microsoft's OS can
> not be prevented from phoning home if it has a net connection. I
> assume that it could with an agressively programmed router.

Or simple settings in Windows itself. Whilst MS don't make it too easy,
and your admin friend is obviously not that clued in, it is not really
that hard. Much harder to stop many smart TV's etc!

> As for Google and Facebook, their behaviour is an
> excellent reason to avoid them - Even if you do think you have
> nothing to hide. Governments have never been restrained by the
> privacy laws they want other citizens and governments to follow.

And sadly people happily give away all privacy as soon as someone
mentions terrorism. Amazing that they do not give up their gun rights
though when thousands of times more people are killed by US citizens
with guns than any terrorist in the USA. That's politics for you.

Old April 25th 17, 11:35 AM posted to comp.misc,rec.audio.tech
Trevor

On 25/04/2017 5:29 AM, Michael Black wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Apr 2017, geoff wrote:
>> On 24/04/2017 7:45 PM, Trevor wrote:
>>> Secondly if we are to take your statement literally then nobody
>>> should wear ANY hearing aid for fear of damaging what is left of
>>> their hearing at any frequency!
>>>
>>> I'm surprised people bother to make these comments without
>>> knowing anything about hearing aids.
>>>

>> And despite me making no claim to know anything about audiology ,
>> it would still vastly surprise me that the simple remedy for a loss
>> at a particular band is solely to boost the **** out of that band.
>> 14k, 8k, 3k, or whatever.
>>

> What I remember is that the ear has two or maybe more levels of
> nerves to detect sound, because otherwise the ear would be required
> to handle too wide a dynamic range. I'm not sure how that translates
> to loss at higher frequencies, but from what I was told, one could
> lose the ability to hear low level sounds, but still hear loud sounds
> fine. This was decades ago, and maybe it was a simplification for
> "the layman".
>
> I don't think you can boost the high frequencies by too much, and
> expect "perfect" hearing. One has to live with something in between
> "original" and bad hearing.

For many people the ability to hear above a certain frequency is lost
completely, or close to it, and no amount of gain would help. But
hearing aids are designed to cover the voice frequency range, and rarely
go past 8kHz anyway. Fairly high boost in the 2-8kHz range is not that
uncommon for those with simple high frequency loss. But *NO* hearing aid
will give a user "perfect hearing", only something more useful perhaps.

> Someone mentioned their parents or grandparents getting used to
> hearing aids, and giving up. Apparently that's common, one adjusts to
> what there is, so hearing aids can take time to adjust to. So I
> assume people adjust to the level of improvement that a hearing aid
> can offer.
>
> The electronics don't or didn't provide the same level of dynamic
> range as regular ears, so AGC, automatic gain control, kicks in
> somewhere in hearing aids, so that's another thing one has to adjust
> to.

Actually the aids themselves can easily cover the ears dynamic range at
very low gain, however if you have say 60db loss, maintaining 100dB
dynamic range would require a peak SPL of over 160dB! Not something
anybody could tolerate even IF the aids could manage something remotely
close to that. Fact is very loud sounds still sound loud to most hearing
aid users so the dynamic range provided must be restricted if they are
to hear quieter sounds at all.

Old April 25th 17, 12:00 PM posted to comp.misc,rec.audio.tech

On 25/04/2017 2:33 AM, Julian Macassey wrote:

> Apple have much to answer for. A Windows adminisrator
> recently told me that the latest version of Microsoft's OS can
> not be prevented from phoning home if it has a net connection. I
> assume that it could with an agressively programmed router.
>
> As for Google and Facebook, their behaviour is an
> excellent reason to avoid them - Even if you do think you have
> nothing to hide. Governments have never been restrained by the
> privacy laws they want other citizens and governments to follow.
> `

Best avoid, um, everything.

Old April 25th 17, 12:57 PM posted to comp.misc,rec.audio.tech
Julian Macassey

On Tue, 25 Apr 2017 20:29:20 +1000, Trevor > wrote:
> On 25/04/2017 12:33 AM, Julian Macassey wrote:
>> On Mon, 24 Apr 2017 17:58:03 +1000, Trevor > wrote:
>>> On 24/04/2017 4:16 PM, Julian Macassey wrote:

>> not be prevented from phoning home if it has a net connection. I
>> assume that it could with an agressively programmed router.

> Or simple settings in Windows itself. Whilst MS don't make it too easy,
> and your admin friend is obviously not that clued in, it is not really
> that hard. Much harder to stop many smart TV's etc!

So, what are these settings that you seem to be clued
into. Obviously if you can stop Windows 10 from phoning home, we
should all know how to do this.

>> As for Google and Facebook, their behaviour is an
>> excellent reason to avoid them - Even if you do think you have
>> nothing to hide. Governments have never been restrained by the
>> privacy laws they want other citizens and governments to follow.

> And sadly people happily give away all privacy as soon as someone
> mentions terrorism. Amazing that they do not give up their gun rights
> though when thousands of times more people are killed by US citizens
> with guns than any terrorist in the USA. That's politics for you.

The only Amendment left of the Bill of Rights is the
second amendment. Now that we don't live in fear of Communism, we
have to live in fear of terrorism.

--
"That's not the way the world really works anymore, We're an empire now,
and when we act, we create our own reality." Karl Rove to Ron Suskind
Old April 25th 17, 01:04 PM posted to comp.misc,rec.audio.tech
Trevor

On 25/04/2017 9:57 PM, Julian Macassey wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Apr 2017 20:29:20 +1000, Trevor > wrote:
>>> not be prevented from phoning home if it has a net connection. I
>>> assume that it could with an agressively programmed router.

>> Or simple settings in Windows itself. Whilst MS don't make it too easy,
>> and your admin friend is obviously not that clued in, it is not really
>> that hard. Much harder to stop many smart TV's etc!
>>

> So, what are these settings that you seem to be clued
> into. Obviously if you can stop Windows 10 from phoning home, we
> should all know how to do this.

Most people already know how to use the internet to find this sort of
thing. The rest probably aren't worried.

Old April 25th 17, 01:23 PM posted to comp.misc,rec.audio.tech
Bob Eager

http://bfy.tw/BPzc

> The only Amendment left of the Bill of Rights is the
> second amendment. Now that we don't live in fear of Communism, we have
> to live in fear of terrorism.

I live more in fear of Trump.

--
Using UNIX since v6 (1975)...

Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org
Old April 25th 17, 03:33 PM posted to comp.misc,rec.audio.tech
Julian Macassey

On Tue, 25 Apr 2017 22:04:55 +1000, Trevor > wrote:
> On 25/04/2017 9:57 PM, Julian Macassey wrote:
>>>
>>> Or simple settings in Windows itself. Whilst MS don't make it too easy,
>>> and your admin friend is obviously not that clued in, it is not really
>>> that hard. Much harder to stop many smart TV's etc!
>>>

>> So, what are these settings that you seem to be clued
>> into. Obviously if you can stop Windows 10 from phoning home, we
>> should all know how to do this.
>>

> Most people already know how to use the internet to find this sort of
> thing. The rest probably aren't worried.

How helpful of you.

Could it be that you yourself don't actually know how to
stop Windows 10 from phoning home? Yes, I know you can select
some things. I'm talking about no phoning home.

--
"We see businesses that don't produce anything and run at an astonishing
loss valued in the billions of dollars." - Maciej Cegłowski 9 Sept 2014
Old April 25th 17, 03:56 PM posted to comp.misc,rec.audio.tech
Adrian Caspersz

Default [CM] Headphones -> Hearing aids -> Windows Wenk

On 25/04/17 15:33, Julian Macassey wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Apr 2017 22:04:55 +1000, Trevor > wrote:

>>> So, what are these settings that you seem to be clued
>>> into. Obviously if you can stop Windows 10 from phoning home, we
>>> should all know how to do this.
>>>

>> Most people already know how to use the internet to find this sort of
>> thing. The rest probably aren't worried.

> How helpful of you.
>
> Could it be that you yourself don't actually know how to
> stop Windows 10 from phoning home? Yes, I know you can select
> some things. I'm talking about no phoning home.

OK, even more off topic than my segue ...

Put a block to these in a firewall device.
Pretty easy for most Windows 10 users :-p

a-msedge.net
a.ads2.msads.net
adnexus.net
aidps.atdmt.com
az361816.vo.msecnd.net
az512334.vo.msecnd.net
b.ads1.msn.com
b.ads2.msads.net
c.atdmt.com
c.msn.com
cdn.atdmt.com
cds26.ams9.msecn.net
db3aqu.atdmt.com
ec.atdmt.com
feedback.microsoft-hohm.com
flex.msn.com
g.msn.com
h1.msn.com
lb1.www.ms.akadns.net
live.rads.msn.com
m.adnxs.com
msedge.net
msnbot-65-55-108-23.search.msn.com
msntest.serving-sys.com
preview.msn.com
reports.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
sO.2mdn.net
schemas.microsoft.akadns.net
secure.flashtalking.com
settings-win.data.microsoft.com
statsfe2.ws.microsoft.com
telemetry.appex.bing.net:443
wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com

from http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/

--
Adrian C

Headphones? Ger High End Audio 4 June 11th 08 12:10 AM
USB Headphones hack - Soldering a 3.5mm plug instead of the headphones [email protected] Tech 10 September 17th 07 11:39 PM
[eBay] FS: Headphones AKAI ASE 22, nice headphones vintage ... very low starting price ... 2 Euro!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Meadow_61 Marketplace 0 November 11th 06 09:00 PM
Seeking Recommendations for Open Headphones and Closed Headphones Mike Audio Opinions 1 September 1st 06 01:51 AM
What are these headphones? [email protected] General 0 June 22nd 06 01:31 AM