PCM Stereo or DTS HELP

Old December 21st 15, 07:26 PM
bkluk7 bkluk7 is offline
Junior Member

Default PCM Stereo or DTS HELP

My Audio setup: Blu Ray player to 5.1 Yamaha Receiver via digital coax.

I realize that PC M is an uncompressed format that should sound better than DTS or Dolby Digital. However, while watching a Blu Ray last night, something didnít sound quite right with the surround sound. Movie dialogue was alternating between the center channel and L/R speakers, and the SL and SR didnít seem to be working correctly.

Upon troubleshooting, the blu ray PLAYER audio output format was PCM, but my receiver only detected/sent it in stereo (only the L and R speakers were lit on the display). When I changed the output mode of the blu ray PLAYER to DTS, the receiver detected/sent proper 5.1. When I went to the audio settings on the actual blu ray DISC, the primary/standard option (the only option in English and without subtitles) was 6.1 DTS.
I ended up keeping the blu ray PLAYER output format on DTS to match, and the surround worked.

I thought PCM was the new standard. If a DISC only outputs in DTS, is this correct? How do I get PCM surround? Is this only available using an HDMI cable?
Old December 22nd 15, 12:02 PM posted to rec.audio.tech

PCM is "good ol' basic" 2 channel stereo.
Same as on audio CDs.

Which is fine for any of the old matrix Dolby
surround settings(Surround, Surround-Pro-
Logic, or Pro-Logic-II). Yes, it is lossless,
but you have to select one of the lossy
codecs(X.1) in order to employ that discrete
mode of surround.
Old December 22nd 15, 12:06 PM posted to rec.audio.tech

Addendum: Or DTS which is lossless!
Old December 22nd 15, 05:57 PM
bkluk7 bkluk7 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
PCM is "good ol' basic" 2 channel stereo.
Same as on audio CDs.

Which is fine for any of the old matrix Dolby
surround settings(Surround, Surround-Pro-
Logic, or Pro-Logic-II). Yes, it is lossless,
but you have to select one of the lossy
codecs(X.1) in order to employ that discrete
mode of surround.
Got it. Thanks so much!
Old December 22nd 15, 11:48 PM posted to rec.audio.tech

geoff:

Good for Blu-Ray!
Old December 23rd 15, 07:01 AM posted to rec.audio.tech
Kevin McMurtrie[_3_]

In article >,
bkluk7 > wrote:

> My Audio setup: Blu Ray player to 5.1 Yamaha Receiver via digital coax.
>
> I realize that PC M is an uncompressed format that should sound better
> than DTS or Dolby Digital. However, while watching a Blu Ray last night,
> something didnít sound quite right with the surround sound. Movie
> dialogue was alternating between the center channel and L/R speakers,
> and the SL and SR didnít seem to be working correctly.
>
> Upon troubleshooting, the blu ray PLAYER audio output format was PCM,
> but my receiver only detected/sent it in stereo (only the L and R
> speakers were lit on the display). When I changed the output mode of the
> blu ray PLAYER to DTS, the receiver detected/sent proper 5.1. When I
> went to the audio settings on the actual blu ray DISC, the
> primary/standard option (the only option in English and without
> subtitles) was 6.1 DTS.
> I ended up keeping the blu ray PLAYER output format on DTS to match, and
> the surround worked.
>
> I thought PCM was the new standard. If a DISC only outputs in DTS, is
> this correct? How do I get PCM surround? Is this only available using
> an HDMI cable?

PCM has nothing to do with the number channels.

Are you using digital coax or TOSLINK? Those are typically bandwidth
limited to using DTS for surround sound. HDMI can do better.

--
I will not see posts from astraweb, theremailer, dizum, or google
because they host Usenet flooders.
Old December 25th 15, 04:49 PM posted to rec.audio.tech
Julian Macassey

On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 19:26:00 +0000, bkluk7
> wrote:
>
> My Audio setup: Blu Ray player to 5.1 Yamaha Receiver via digital coax.
>
> I realize that PC M is an uncompressed format that should sound better
> than DTS or Dolby Digital. However, while watching a Blu Ray last night,
> something didn't sound quite right with the surround sound. Movie
> dialogue was alternating between the center channel and L/R speakers,
> and the SL and SR didn't seem to be working correctly.

Choose Stereo good for people with two ears.

--
"I have a problem with the fact that they (Microsoft) just make really third
rate products." - Steve Jobs 1995 TV interview
Old December 27th 15, 01:17 AM posted to rec.audio.tech
Kevin McMurtrie[_3_]

In article >,
Julian Macassey > wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 19:26:00 +0000, bkluk7
> > wrote:
> >
> > My Audio setup: Blu Ray player to 5.1 Yamaha Receiver via digital coax.
> >
> > I realize that PC M is an uncompressed format that should sound better
> > than DTS or Dolby Digital. However, while watching a Blu Ray last night,
> > something didn't sound quite right with the surround sound. Movie
> > dialogue was alternating between the center channel and L/R speakers,
> > and the SL and SR didn't seem to be working correctly.

> Choose Stereo good for people with two ears.

5.1 and 7.1 don't downmix to stereo well. At the least you need a 3.0
system with the speaker configuration properly programmed in. This is
why most videos have a separate soundtrack that was mastered
specifically for stereo.