Microphones

Old April 28th 15, 03:09 AM posted to rec.audio.tech
Peter Larsen[_3_]

Default Microphones

> skrev i en meddelelse

> The real reason I want I a solo switch ; I'm old.
> After 4 hours of rocking and rolling like a 20 year-old
> i can't push out a solo using lung power alone. I'll use
> whatever "crutch" is available.

Feel free to think it is a poor joke, but trust me, it isn't: Pilates makes
10 years younger.

Amplified or not, mixer person or not, balancing is an ensemble task
including making room for whomsoever's solo is now.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Old April 28th 15, 10:27 PM posted to rec.audio.tech

Haha, not exactly!
Perhaps evolution will help out here, bands that are too loud will drive away all the women, and their members will not reproduce. So in the future, bands will be 20db softer and everyone wins.

Bob
Old April 13th 16, 01:42 AM posted to rec.audio.tech
~misfit~[_3_]

Once upon a time on usenet wrote:
> Putting aside all the expressions of puritanical musical moral
> outrage, what I am interested in is whether or not there is s market
> for such a device. Sometimes I play jazz jobs and have no mic at all
> , the and other times I'm playing in a funk band, and when the
> guitar player stomps on his solo switch , I want to do the same. Why
> doesn't the guitar player just set his volume higher and then play
> more softly? Because when you turn up the volume , you amplify the
> hum and noise and fretboard sounds. Same for me, if I set my volume
> high and then back off the mic during non-solo periods, it picks up
> every little clank and rattle of my 1954 vintage sax, not to mention
> all the other Amps and drums around me. So my suggestion is a
> practical solution for real-world musicians, and if it violates
> someone's concept of a utopian musical world , then I can live with
> that.

God-damnned wall-of-text!

If posters can't write properly I'm not reading it. (Yes I realise it's 12
months old.)
--
Shaun.

little classification in the DSM*."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Old April 13th 16, 01:51 AM posted to rec.audio.tech
~misfit~[_3_]

Once upon a time on usenet geoff wrote:
> On 27/04/2015 12:56 p.m., Black Iccy wrote:
>
>> But you _do_ have control over yourself. Ideally the others should
>> contribute equally to the overall performance and that is the
>> argument being proposed by the people with, let's say, an acoustic
>> purist appoach.

> The scenario I see (happens often, but mostly with teens) is that
> cyclicly EVERYBODY ends up turning things up, until everybody is at
> "11".
> "That naughty sax is getting too prominent, maybe I need a 200W guitar
> amp rather than a 100W one". Only a potential 3dB increase, but the
> average guitarist doesn't know that.

I used to work with a touring band and our sax player modulated his volume
most of the time by changing how close the mouth of his instrument was to
the mic (as did the trumpet player - he could play 'loud' with a mute in -
"The Royal Scam" sounded amazing). In fact when I started 'mixing' I had to
talk to them about it as it made it hard for me to achieve a good sound if
they were varying their volumes themselves.