JVC RX-515V Receiver - Blown Center Channel

Old July 1st 14, 01:31 AM posted to rec.audio.tech

Default JVC RX-515V Receiver - Blown Center Channel

On Saturday, June 28, 2014 11:33:00 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> james wrote: "Yea, I figure just cause I am getting old is not a reason to act old. "
>

> Just who are you sayin is "acting old"?
>

> Just so you know, I happen to have a rather strong case of IFIDAINTBROKENDON'T****WITHITITUS. Take that to the bank.

It was broke.
Old July 1st 14, 02:08 AM posted to rec.audio.tech

james surmised: "- show quoted text -
It was broke. "

My JVC receiver? Yes it was, and I have since bought another JVC RX-515 and set it up in my system. Back to what works for me jim - but nice try!
Old July 1st 14, 02:46 PM posted to rec.audio.tech

On Monday, June 30, 2014 9:08:17 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> james surmised: "- show quoted text -
>
> It was broke. "
>

> My JVC receiver? Yes it was, and I have since bought another JVC RX-515 and set it up in my system. Back to what works for me jim - but nice try!

You probably had an 8-track player somewhere back in the past, why aren't you still using that? Point is your main receiver broke. It was pretty old.. That was the point where you might have looked around at the state of things. Then you could have gotten something that handles the new surround sound formats, is compatible with other more modern devices, has hdmi, etc. Instead you went and found another old receiver. And even after others pointed out that those jvc's were not all that well engineered you got another jvc. I'm guessing for a lot of your life that's not the reaction you would have had or we'd be talking about some old two channel system.
Old July 2nd 14, 10:26 AM posted to rec.audio.tech

james wrote: "probably had an 8-track player somewhere back in the past, why aren't you still using that? Point is your main receiver broke. It was pretty old. That was the point where you might have looked around at the state of things. Then you could have gotten something that handles the new surround sound formats, is compatible with other more modern devices, has hdmi, etc. Instead you went and found another old receiver. And even after others pointed out that those jvc's were not all that well engineered you got another jvc. I'm guessing for a lot of your life that's not the reaction you would have had or we'd be talking about some old two channel system. "

For your information I blew out the center on my original 515. Either I drove it too hard or disconnected something before turning down the receiver volume.

As far as modern surround, formats goes, got plenty of time to catch up on that.

Pro-Logic suffices for now, and BTW, I do still have a working eight-track deck and at least 72 hours worth of tapes.
Old July 2nd 14, 02:35 PM posted to rec.audio.tech

On Wednesday, July 2, 2014 5:26:59 AM UTC-4, wrote:
> james wrote: "probably had an 8-track player somewhere back in the past, why aren't you still using that? Point is your main receiver broke. It was pretty old. That was the point where you might have looked around at the state of things. Then you could have gotten something that handles the new surround sound formats, is compatible with other more modern devices, has hdmi, etc. Instead you went and found another old receiver. And even after others pointed out that those jvc's were not all that well engineered you got another jvc. I'm guessing for a lot of your life that's not the reaction you would have had or we'd be talking about some old two channel system. "
>

> For your information I blew out the center on my original 515. Either I drove it too hard or disconnected something before turning down the receiver volume.
>

> As far as modern surround, formats goes, got plenty of time to catch up on that.
>

> Pro-Logic suffices for now, and BTW, I do still have a working eight-track deck and at least 72 hours worth of tapes.

Perhaps you are waiting to see if blu-ray really is here to stay? Because many blu-ray disks use the newer high definition surround formats that are not compatible with what you have. And there are not often discussed issues with many blu-ray players downmixing to the original surround formats. Forcing you to use pcm.

"I do still have a working eight-track deck" that really says it all. At the time of their introduction there really wasn't any other good way to take music to your car. But as far as audio quality goes the only thing worse was a wire recorder. They died a well deserved death almost immediately upon the introduction of cassettes.
Old July 2nd 14, 08:43 PM posted to rec.audio.tech

james you don't get it:

My setup does everything we need it to. The aforementioned 8-track is not the core listening platform in my system. It's just one more option.
Old July 2nd 14, 08:54 PM posted to rec.audio.tech

On Wednesday, July 2, 2014 3:43:46 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> james you don't get it:
>

> My setup does everything we need it to. The aforementioned 8-track is not the core listening platform in my system. It's just one more option.

8 tracks are garbage. But you're right about one thing, no point in wasting time explaining the current state of the art.
Old July 14th 15, 12:01 PM posted to rec.audio.tech

IT HAPPENED AGAIN!!

This morning I turned on my replacement RX-515V, and it sounded
suspiciously low. I pressed "Test" for the surround sound pink
noise, and sure enough, center channel dead. >

It seems these receivers have a history of blowing center
channel outputs. And no, I'm not over-driving it. Even JVC
themselves no longer service 20 year old receivers. They
can't even look up this model number!