Headphones?

Old June 6th 08, 11:17 PM posted to rec.audio.high-end
Ger

Default Headphones?

On Jun 3, 6:51 pm, " > wrote:
> On Jun 3, 8:21 am, Ger > wrote:
>

> > On Jun 2, 12:22 am, " > wrote:

> > > Spouse watches TV. I listen to music. She won't close caption. I use
> > > Bose noise-reduction units on my laptop to listen to music, but I can
> > > still here the TV, no matter how low it goes. I assume I need over
> > > the
> > > ear headphones. But what are the best that will close to 100 percent
> > > drown out TV and other noise?

> > I'd go for Beyerdynamic DT880, although to maximize what this
> > 'closed' (and
> > fully-cover-the-ear) phones can do you'll need to use a (small as a
> > lighter, even) battery run headphone
> > amplifier. I like the ones athttp://www.fixup.net/products/index.htm....
> > both phones + amp together are a
> > lot of dough, but I don't think you'll ever look back (and you'll
> > forget completely about the TV!)

> Wide price variance on the amps. Do I need to go all the way?

I think the middle one should be adequate, and for that matter there
is some indeterminate delay in delivering the reference model in a
timely way.
Old June 7th 08, 03:46 PM posted to rec.audio.high-end

On Jun 7, 8:17*am, Ger > wrote:
> On Jun 3, 6:51 pm, " > wrote:

> > > I'd go for Beyerdynamic DT880, although to maximize what this
> > > 'closed' (and
> > > fully-cover-the-ear) phones can do you'll need to use a (small as a
> > > lighter, even) battery run headphone
> > > amplifier. I like the ones athttp://www.fixup.net/products/index.htm....
> > > both phones + amp together are a
> > > lot of dough, but I don't think you'll ever look back (and you'll
> > > forget completely about the TV!)

> > Wide price variance on the amps. Do I need to go all the way?

> I think the middle one should be adequate, and for that matter there
> is some indeterminate delay in delivering the reference model in a
> timely way.

So, back to my question, Beyermeyer, or Koss? Need high end amps for
both?
Old June 8th 08, 07:24 AM posted to rec.audio.high-end
nebulax

On Jun 7, 10:46 am, " > wrote:
> On Jun 7, 8:17 am, Ger > wrote:

> > > Wide price variance on the amps. Do I need to go all the way?

> > I think the middle one should be adequate, and for that matter there
> > is some indeterminate delay in delivering the reference model in a
> > timely way.

> So, back to my question, Beyermeyer, or Koss? Need high end amps for
> both?

I'd go with the Beyers, but also take a look at Headroom (http://
www.headphone.com/), and see what they suggest for closed-back phones.
They also make a variety of headphone amps.

-Neb
Old June 10th 08, 12:31 AM posted to rec.audio.high-end

On Jun 8, 4:24*pm, nebulax > wrote:
> On Jun 7, 10:46 am, " > wrote:

> > > I think the middle one should be adequate, and for that matter there
> > > is some indeterminate delay in delivering the reference model in a
> > > timely way.

> > So, back to my question, Beyermeyer, or Koss? Need high end amps for
> > both?

> I'd go with the Beyers, but also take a look at Headroom (http://www.headphone.com/), and see what they suggest for closed-back phones.
> They also make a variety of headphone amps.
>
> -Neb

Good site. Thanks. I picked up the Beyermeyer 880s via Amazon. Now
about those amps? I'm not a cheapo, but how much should I spend,
honestly, just for listing to internet radio on the laptop while the
wife watches Oprah on TV? Is there a rule of thumb that the amps
should cost X times the cost for the headset or vice versa?

Old June 11th 08, 12:10 AM posted to rec.audio.high-end
Peter Wieck

On Jun 9, 7:31*pm, " > wrote:

> Good site. Thanks. I picked up the Beyermeyer 880s via Amazon. Now
> about those amps? I'm not a cheapo, but how much should I spend,
> honestly, just for listing to internet radio on the laptop while the
> wife watches Oprah on TV? Is there a rule of thumb that the amps
> should cost X times the cost for the headset or vice versa?

Yikes!

OK - What with a Beyers headphone and even a minimally competent
headphone amplifier, the quality available will far exceed the quality
of the signal coming out of your laptop. So make your decision as to
how much you wish to spend based on other possible uses for the
combination. It may be enough to drive the headphones directly from
the laptop for your needs, perhaps spend the difference on another
pair of headphones such as the Koss.

Put another way, hold off on a headphone amp until you are sure it's
needed for your specific described purposes.

Enjoy - the Beyers are very nice!

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA