A Audio and hi-fi forum. AudioBanter

Go Back   Home » AudioBanter forum » rec.audio » Tech
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

[CM] Headphones



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old April 19th 17, 12:05 PM posted to comp.misc,rec.audio.tech
geoff
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,484
Default [CM] Headphones

On 23/02/2017 3:00 PM, RS Wood wrote:
> From the «blocking out the madness» department:
> Title: Ask The Wirecutter: How to Decide Which Headphones to Buy (Hint: Not Apple’s AirPods)
> Author: DAMON DARLIN
> Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2017 11:10:36 -0500
> Link: http://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/22/te...er=rss&emc=rss
> Podcast Download URL: https://static01.nyt.com/images/2017...WIRE1-moth.jpg
>
> With so many choices available, shopping for earphones can be daunting. A
> headphone editor suggests buying two cheaper pairs suited to different needs.
>


Kind of depends if you want headphones for high quality sound, or as a
fashion accessory.

geoff

  #2  
Old April 19th 17, 01:30 PM posted to comp.misc,rec.audio.tech
Adrian Caspersz
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2
Default [CM] Headphones

On 19/04/17 12:05, geoff wrote:

> Kind of depends if you want headphones for high quality sound, or as a
> fashion accessory.


Or as a covert DIY hearing aid ..

The future is going to see them rather prominent and fashionable like
eyewear, and additionally integrated with the music/phone (possibly that
made the user deaf in the first place[1]).

On that subject, like a prescription for glasses, is there a written
standard of writing one for hearing aids?

With the rip-off shameful high cost of some of these (thousands) praying
on folks that want them so covert, surely a home build DSP project
(opensource?) is possible with knowledge of the right parameters? or use
of a cheaper Generic device for sale?

[1] - Shouldn't joke. That will eventually be me.... Loud electronica
music fan here.

--
Adrian C
  #3  
Old April 19th 17, 07:55 PM posted to comp.misc,rec.audio.tech
Mike Spencer
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default [CM] Headphones


Adrian Caspersz > writes:

> On 19/04/17 12:05, geoff wrote:
>
>> Kind of depends if you want headphones for high quality sound, or as a
>> fashion accessory.

>
> Or as a covert DIY hearing aid ..
>
> The future is going to see them rather prominent and fashionable like
> eyewear, and additionally integrated with the music/phone (possibly that
> made the user deaf in the first place[1]).


AFAICT the circuit design and tuning controls are sophisticated,
albeit straigtforward, electronics but the big bucks are for fitting
all that into a widget the size of a fava bean.

I'd be happy to wear headphones or earbuds and carry a widget the size
of a large cell phone if it worked for my hearing loss and cost a few
hundred bucks instead of the ca. $2,000 per ear.

> On that subject, like a prescription for glasses, is there a written
> standard of writing one for hearing aids?


Bandwidth tuning, noise cancellation -- what else? See
"sophisticated" supra. I'm guessing that "adjusting" a modern hearing
aid is done by connecting it to a computer and proprietary software.
They're too small to support an array of little adjusting screws.

> With the rip-off shameful high cost of some of these (thousands) praying
> on folks that want them so covert, surely a home build DSP project
> (opensource?) is possible with knowledge of the right parameters? or use
> of a cheaper Generic device for sale?


Where's this happening? I high-frequency loss, speech discrimination
loss and tinitis. But I'm weak on serious math and know almost noting
about electronic hardware. There was a brief flurry of interest in
DSP projects in Halifax (NS) circa 1994 but I think it's faded away.


> [1] - Shouldn't joke. That will eventually be me.... Loud electronica
> music fan here.


Wroking around loud engines, running power tools and hammering at the
anvil are quite enough, thanks, without rock n' roll.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada
  #4  
Old April 19th 17, 08:14 PM posted to comp.misc,rec.audio.tech
The Real Bev
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default [CM] Headphones

On 04/19/2017 11:55 AM, Mike Spencer wrote:
> Adrian Caspersz > writes:
>
>> On 19/04/17 12:05, geoff wrote:
>>
>>> Kind of depends if you want headphones for high quality sound, or as a
>>> fashion accessory.

>>
>> Or as a covert DIY hearing aid ..
>>
>> The future is going to see them rather prominent and fashionable like
>> eyewear, and additionally integrated with the music/phone (possibly that
>> made the user deaf in the first place[1]).

>
> AFAICT the circuit design and tuning controls are sophisticated,
> albeit straigtforward, electronics but the big bucks are for fitting
> all that into a widget the size of a fava bean.
>
> I'd be happy to wear headphones or earbuds and carry a widget the size
> of a large cell phone if it worked for my hearing loss and cost a few
> hundred bucks instead of the ca. $2,000 per ear.


FWIW, the $2K ones aren't necessarily good either. My mom had hers
adjusted repeatedly, but they never got it right. All she wanted was to
be able to understand the women on TV, but the adjustments to improve
higher voices also heightened annoying higher-frequency sounds. That
was in 2005, maybe the tech is better now. Equalizers have been around
for quite a while, though.

I don't think the fact that they're made from a mold of the person's ear
canal is important. I asked my ENT guy about using hers if I ever
needed them, and he said Fine, just have them adjusted for you. Not
much hope, but it won't cost $2K/ear to try!

>> On that subject, like a prescription for glasses, is there a written
>> standard of writing one for hearing aids?

>
> Bandwidth tuning, noise cancellation -- what else? See
> "sophisticated" supra. I'm guessing that "adjusting" a modern hearing
> aid is done by connecting it to a computer and proprietary software.
> They're too small to support an array of little adjusting screws.


Yes. There's just an on/off switch on the device itself.

>> With the rip-off shameful high cost of some of these (thousands) praying
>> on folks that want them so covert, surely a home build DSP project
>> (opensource?) is possible with knowledge of the right parameters? or use
>> of a cheaper Generic device for sale?

>
> Where's this happening? I high-frequency loss, speech discrimination
> loss and tinitis. But I'm weak on serious math and know almost noting
> about electronic hardware. There was a brief flurry of interest in
> DSP projects in Halifax (NS) circa 1994 but I think it's faded away.
>
>
>> [1] - Shouldn't joke. That will eventually be me.... Loud electronica
>> music fan here.

>
> Wroking around loud engines, running power tools and hammering at the
> anvil are quite enough, thanks, without rock n' roll.


I do love the sound of an unmuffled helicopter taking off. R&R hasn't
been that good since the Beatles destroyed it.

--
Cheers, Bev
"The last thing you want is for somebody to commit suicide
before executing them."
-Gary Deland, former Utah director for corrections
  #5  
Old April 20th 17, 01:06 AM posted to comp.misc,rec.audio.tech
Michael Black[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 43
Default [CM] Headphones

On Wed, 19 Apr 2017, The Real Bev wrote:

> On 04/19/2017 11:55 AM, Mike Spencer wrote:
>> Adrian Caspersz > writes:
>>
>>> On 19/04/17 12:05, geoff wrote:
>>>
>>>> Kind of depends if you want headphones for high quality sound, or as a
>>>> fashion accessory.
>>>
>>> Or as a covert DIY hearing aid ..
>>>
>>> The future is going to see them rather prominent and fashionable like
>>> eyewear, and additionally integrated with the music/phone (possibly that
>>> made the user deaf in the first place[1]).

>>
>> AFAICT the circuit design and tuning controls are sophisticated,
>> albeit straigtforward, electronics but the big bucks are for fitting
>> all that into a widget the size of a fava bean.
>>
>> I'd be happy to wear headphones or earbuds and carry a widget the size
>> of a large cell phone if it worked for my hearing loss and cost a few
>> hundred bucks instead of the ca. $2,000 per ear.

>
> FWIW, the $2K ones aren't necessarily good either. My mom had hers adjusted
> repeatedly, but they never got it right. All she wanted was to be able to
> understand the women on TV, but the adjustments to improve higher voices also
> heightened annoying higher-frequency sounds. That was in 2005, maybe the
> tech is better now. Equalizers have been around for quite a while, though.
>
> I don't think the fact that they're made from a mold of the person's ear
> canal is important. I asked my ENT guy about using hers if I ever needed
> them, and he said Fine, just have them adjusted for you. Not much hope, but
> it won't cost $2K/ear to try!
>

I think early hearing aids used actual transducers like those that used to
come with transistor radios. But somewhere along the line, the transducer
stayed in the hearing aid (certainly after the ones that fit over or in
the ear), and so there's just audio coupling to the ear. The fitting of
the piece to one's ear just seems comfort, and I maybe for best coupling.
Now that all the rock stars are using in-ear monitors, they all have
custom fitted ear pieces.

I wonder if the hearing aids now have become like other things, they make
the hardware really cheap, and it applies to all, but the more money you
spend, the better the software or adjustment. Or featurs kick in as the
money paid rises, but it's the software that makes this hearing aid better
than that one, rather than the hardware.

Michael
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Headphones? Ger High End Audio 4 June 11th 08 12:10 AM
USB Headphones hack - Soldering a 3.5mm plug instead of the headphones [email protected] Tech 10 September 17th 07 11:39 PM
[eBay] FS: Headphones AKAI ASE 22, nice headphones vintage ... very low starting price ... 2 Euro!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Meadow_61 Marketplace 0 November 11th 06 09:00 PM
Seeking Recommendations for Open Headphones and Closed Headphones Mike Audio Opinions 1 September 1st 06 01:51 AM
What are these headphones? [email protected] General 0 June 22nd 06 01:31 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 AudioBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.