Chris Lee

Default Front speaker upgrade for 99 Civic

I'm considering to upgrade the factory front speakers
for my 99 Civic Sedan without any permanent modification.
According to crutchfield, the only EZ-fit item is Sony
XS-W1621, but I want a little better ones like Infinity
Reference 6002si or Kicker K60. I know the mounting depth
is a critical issue for the front speakers. In the specs,
the mounting depths are 1 3/4 (W1621), 1 7/8 (6002si), and
1 15/16 (K60). However, I don't know why W1621 is the only
item that doesn't require any modification and the other two
require to cut out the back of the plastic factory bracket
to provide enough depth. According to a few old articles here,
I remember any 6.5'' shallow speaker with the depth of less then
2'' fits perfectly without any modification. Is there anything
else I'm missing? Basically, I want to do self-installation and
make things as easy as possible. Also, please recommend front
speakers priced around $80-$90 (pair) for good replacement.

Thanks in advance.

Chris
TomTom

Cutting out the back of the plastic factory bracket isn't a problem, it can
even be done by heating up an old butter knife with a blowtorch and melting
it out if you don't have a saw, just buy a pair of 6.5's that you like and
disregard the depth. I'd go with the Infinity. Years ago I installed some
new 6.5's in my del Sol and hacked out the backs of the factory brackets,
piece of cake.

-T

"Chris Lee" wrote in message
om...
I'm considering to upgrade the factory front speakers
for my 99 Civic Sedan without any permanent modification.
According to crutchfield, the only EZ-fit item is Sony
XS-W1621, but I want a little better ones like Infinity

---

Jason

"TomTom" wrote in message
news1uMb.51930$gN.44597@fed1read05...
Cutting out the back of the plastic factory bracket isn't a problem, it

can
even be done by heating up an old butter knife with a blowtorch and

melting
it out if you don't have a saw, just buy a pair of 6.5's that you like and
disregard the depth. I'd go with the Infinity. Years ago I installed some
new 6.5's in my del Sol and hacked out the backs of the factory brackets,
piece of cake.

-T

While this is mostly correct, you want to be sure the speakers arent so deep
they hit your window or window guide! 3/4" MDF baffle will solve this for
most 6.5s. I think thats how I did it on my 98 Civic EX. But then it may
hit the plastic door panel. But most speakers should fit no problem. I
recommend Crystals BTW. Check Sounddomain.com for them.