Fabio Berutti

Default About the subminiature 6N16B

There were some messages concerning this double triode some days ago. I
found it is similar to the Philips 6021, and an example of a tube preamp
made with such a tube can be found at: http://www.audiodesignguide.com/se/.
I'm considering making a very small phono preamp with it, something that can
fit in a solid-state-like box without giving out as much heat as an open
oven.
(my last project, a SE 6S33S, dissipates some 300W to produce 12+12WRMS into
8 ohms and being 30x40 cm the top plate reaches some 70°C... good for
roasting marshmallows during Northern Italy foggy winters, but it needs to
be "de-commissioned" from May till October).

Ciao

Fabio

Ruud Broens

"Fabio Berutti" wrote in message
: There were some messages concerning this double triode some days ago.
: found it is similar to the Philips 6021, and an example of a tube
preamp
: made with such a tube can be found at:
http://www.audiodesignguide.com/se/.
: I'm considering making a very small phono preamp with it, something
that can
: fit in a solid-state-like box without giving out as much heat as an
open
: oven.
: (my last project, a SE 6S33S, dissipates some 300W to produce
12+12WRMS into
: 8 ohms and being 30x40 cm the top plate reaches some 70°C... good for
: roasting marshmallows during Northern Italy foggy winters, but it
needs to
: be "de-commissioned" from May till October).
:
: Ciao
:
: Fabio

You like to visit the 'extremes in life', eh :-)
ciao,
Rudy

Ruud Broens

"Ruud Broens" wrote in message
:
: "Fabio Berutti" wrote in message
: ...
[...]
: :
: : Ciao
: :
: : Fabio
:
: You like to visit the 'extremes in life', eh :-)
: ciao,
: Rudy
BTW Nice one, in the Philips data sheets:
"Tensions de bruit de sortie due aux vibrations" , hehe
....the russian tube has the better curves, though

-

"Ruud Broens" a écrit dans le message

BTW Nice one, in the Philips data sheets:
"Tensions de bruit de sortie due aux vibrations" , hehe
...the russian tube has the better curves, though

With an anode voltage of 100V, the RMS voltage is less
than 35mv with a 40Hz and 15g(!) acceleration...

I wouldn't be too concerned to use them tubes in a preamp,
unless you intend to use them in a Walkman while jogging....8o)

And look at them shock resistance specs, 4 hammer blows of 500g !

Syl

Ruud Broens

"-" [email protected] wrote in message ...
: "Ruud Broens" a écrit dans le message
:
: BTW Nice one, in the Philips data sheets:
: "Tensions de bruit de sortie due aux vibrations" , hehe
: ...the russian tube has the better curves, though
:
: With an anode voltage of 100V, the RMS voltage is less
: than 35mv with a 40Hz and 15g(!) acceleration...
:
: I wouldn't be too concerned to use them tubes in a preamp,
: unless you intend to use them in a Walkman while jogging....8o)
:
: And look at them shock resistance specs, 4 hammer blows of 500g !
:
: Syl
:
Yeah :-)
so, we could 'glue' 'm to a large woofer, use the
signal from the submini for a motional feedback system , hehe
Rudy

Sander deWaal

"Ruud Broens" said:

: And look at them shock resistance specs, 4 hammer blows of 500g !

Yeah :-)
so, we could 'glue' 'm to a large woofer, use the
signal from the submini for a motional feedback system , hehe

The ECC40 is far better suited for that task ;-)

--
Sander de Waal
" SOA of a KT88? Sufficient. "
Ruud Broens

"Sander deWaal" wrote in message
: "Ruud Broens" said:
:
: : And look at them shock resistance specs, 4 hammer blows of 500g !
:
: Yeah :-)
: so, we could 'glue' 'm to a large woofer, use the
: signal from the submini for a motional feedback system , hehe
:
: The ECC40 is far better suited for that task ;-)
:
: --
: Sander de Waal
: " SOA of a KT88? Sufficient. "

ehh, u worKed for Phi. Eindh. or sumthin' ?
:-)
Rudy

Sander deWaal

"Ruud Broens" said:

: so, we could 'glue' 'm to a large woofer, use the
: signal from the submini for a motional feedback system , hehe

: The ECC40 is far better suited for that task ;-)

ehh, u worKed for Phi. Eindh. or sumthin' ?
:-)

Close. Phi Huizen. Long ago.
And I never "worked", I got paid for being there each day :-)

--
Sander de Waal
" SOA of a KT88? Sufficient. "
Ruud Broens

: "Ruud Broens" said:
:
: : so, we could 'glue' 'm to a large woofer, use the
: : signal from the submini for a motional feedback system , hehe
:
: : The ECC40 is far better suited for that task ;-)
:
: ehh, u worKed for Phi. Eindh. or sumthin' ?
: :-)
:
: Close. Phi Huizen. Long ago.
: And I never "worked", I got paid for being there each day :-)
:
: --
: Sander de Waal
: " SOA of a KT88? Sufficient. "

Did you read: Tracy Kidder: The Soul of a Machine ?
'bout the early days in sil'valley, the 100+ hour weeks
to build the chips - fascinating !
Rudy

Sander deWaal

"Ruud Broens" said:

Did you read: Tracy Kidder: The Soul of a Machine ?
'bout the early days in sil'valley, the 100+ hour weeks
to build the chips - fascinating !

Been there, done that mr. Brunze.
Back, when, I was fixxing radar's in the snow, I was laying the
foundation for the cake, look over, there!

Prove it in a double blind test, mr. sockpuupett Ruddy, or whatever
you're name is today!

LOL! ;-)

--
Sander de Waal
" SOA of a KT88? Sufficient. "

Ruud Broens

news : "Ruud Broens" said:
:
: Did you read: Tracy Kidder: The Soul of a Machine ?
: 'bout the early days in sil'valley, the 100+ hour weeks
: to build the chips - fascinating !
:
: Been there, done that mr. Brunze.
: Back, when, I was fixxing radar's in the snow, I was laying the
: foundation for the cake, look over, there!
:
: Prove it in a double blind test, mr. sockpuupett Ruddy, or whatever
: you're name is today!
:
: LOL! ;-)
:
: --
: Sander de Waal
: " SOA of a KT88? Sufficient. "

Hehe, some script kiddie, numerous NG's
cheers,
Rudy

Ruud Broens

"Ruud Broens" wrote in message
:
: "Sander deWaal" wrote in message
: news : : "Ruud Broens" said:
: :
: : Did you read: Tracy Kidder: The Soul of a Machine ?
: : 'bout the early days in sil'valley, the 100+ hour weeks
: : to build the chips - fascinating !
: :
: : Been there, done that mr. Brunze.
: : Back, when, I was fixxing radar's in the snow, I was laying the
: : foundation for the cake, look over, there!
: :
: : Prove it in a double blind test, mr. sockpuupett Ruddy, or whatever
: : you're name is today!
: :
: : LOL! ;-)
: :
: : --
: : Sander de Waal
: : " SOA of a KT88? Sufficient. "
:
sorry fellows, you have to be in the raoknow, to fully appreciate this
:-)
: Rudy
:
:

Paul D. Spiegel

I haven't checked out the 6N16B yet, but I used a 6021 and was pleased
with the results.

I had built a small desktop 1 tube/channel SE amp for use with a
computer at work. I was disappointed to learn that the computer audio output
was much less than the 1 volt I had planned on.

I didn't have much room to work with and I found the 6021 included with
a feature on sub-miniature tubes in Vacuum Tube Valley. I obtained a
few from Antique Electronic Supply to work with.

I mounted it on
half of a small Radio Shack bread board including the grid, plate, and
cathode resistors. I put a hole in the top corner of the chassis and
was just able to fit it in.

Not only did it fit, but the 6021 was a nice, clean sounding triode.
Here's how I configured it:

Grid resistor = 100K
Cathode resistor = 125
Cathode bypass = 100mf
Plate resistor = 17.5K
Plate supply = 250v

This gives a current of about 8ma, grid voltage of 2v, plate voltage
of 110v, and a plate dissapation of about 0.86w. The amplification is
about 25x and the output impedence is about 4.7K.

For a little tube, it gets pretty hot even though it's only dissapating
1.7 watts.

It sounds good and I like the small package. I'll be using it again.
Ruud Broens

"Paul D. Spiegel" wrote in message
[...]

Great :-)
yep, one of the advantages of these (sub)mini's: low output imp.,
meaning
you can easily drive an eq. network, use the output with a divider for a
good cable drive signal, etc.
Rudy

Paul D. Spiegel

Paul D. Spiegel wrote:

Not only did it fit, but the 6021 was a nice, clean sounding triode.
Here's how I configured it:

Grid resistor = 100K
Cathode resistor = 125
Cathode bypass = 100mf
Plate resistor = 17.5K
Plate supply = 250v

This gives a current of about 8ma, grid voltage of 2v, plate voltage
of 110v, and a plate dissapation of about 0.86w. The amplification is
about 25x and the output impedence is about 4.7K.

Here's an update to my own post. The grid voltage is really zero, of
course. The cathode resistor sets the cathode voltage at about 1v, so
the effective grid voltage is -1 in reference to the cathode.

I didn't want to mislead anybody who might use this model for their own
project.

Ruud Broens

: Paul D. Spiegel wrote:
:
[...]

Thanks Paul, we gathered that. May I suggest you try a 150 Ohm
Cath.res.
for a little more headroom, a little less dissipation ?
cheers,
Rudy