Toni Fishman

Default Wanted Telefunken EF14 UF14 & VF14 tubes

Telefunken North America is looking for privite stocks of the following rare tubes.

EF14 UF14 & VF14

If you have any stock available or leads please call our Connecticut office.

Telefunken Tube Hot Line 24/7 (323)464-6652

-- Kind Regards,

Toni Fishman

www.telefunkenusa.com

Telefunken North America, LLC.
300 Pleasant Valley Road Suite (E)
South Windsor Ct. 06074 USA

Office (860)882-5919
Fax (860)882-5980
East Cell (860)306-8080
Jd.

Uzytkownik "Toni Fishman" napisal w wiadomosci
om...
Telefunken North America is looking for privite stocks of the following

rare tubes.

EF14 UF14 & VF14

If you have any stock available or leads please call our Connecticut

office.

www.telefunkenusa.com

"Telefunken North America, LLC., located in the state of Connecticut, USA,
is in no way related or affiliated with the original Telefunken Company of
Germany. All products manufactured by Telefunken North America, LLC. are
intended for sale in North America."

Chinese Mullards, american TFKs, - "Something is rotten in the state of
Denmark"...
--
==========###-###*###-###==============
Jaroslaw Dubowski, Bytom, Poland

Lord Valve

Jd. wrote:

Uzytkownik "Toni Fishman" napisal w wiadomosci
om...
Telefunken North America is looking for privite stocks of the following

rare tubes.

EF14 UF14 & VF14

If you have any stock available or leads please call our Connecticut

office.

www.telefunkenusa.com

"Telefunken North America, LLC., located in the state of Connecticut, USA,
is in no way related or affiliated with the original Telefunken Company of
Germany. All products manufactured by Telefunken North America, LLC. are
intended for sale in North America."

Chinese Mullards, american TFKs, - "Something is rotten in the state of
Denmark"...

Hey, hotshot - these folks (Telefunken USA) make some
*seriously* good ****. You got a problem with that?

LV

Shiva

"Lord Valve" wrote in message

Jd. wrote:

[...]

I do, f8ckwad.
When I buy an EH, I want EH, not crap from a ****head who bought a name.
When I want a Telefunken, I want something more than a sleazy re-brand. If
these folks are so hot, why do they need a bought name for clout?
Benjamin Edison-Tesla (so you can take this to the bank),
-An Iraqi

Toni Fishman

This post was made in the effort to offer the recording community some
new Telefunken U47M & U48M microphones. It was not intended to start a
string of childs play. However there are always a few bad apples in
the bunch. Telefunken North America is the only microphone company
that still manufactures orginal classic europan microphones that are
exact in every way. We have a few TEC Awards & Nominations under our
belt so we must be doing something right? Our products are in the
hands of 100's of well known artist, producers & engineers. So if you
have a problem with our politics, why do you go back to the rock you
climed out from under. I'd like to know what you have done to help
this community? Or do you just try to upset others?

Oh ya, are you such a spineless wimp that you wont give us your real
name!?

If anyone here is a f8ckwad it's you........

Kind Regard, Toni Fishman CEO TelefunkenUSA

I do, f8ckwad.
When I buy an EH, I want EH, not crap from a ****head who bought a name.
If these folks are so hot, why do they need a bought name for clout?
Benjamin Edison-Tesla (so you can take this to the bank),
-An Iraqi

Lord Valve

Shiva wrote:

"Lord Valve" wrote in message

Jd. wrote:

[...]

I'm sure you have hands-on experience with this gear. Right?

Hey, when you buy a Jaguar, it's a Ford. Tough ****, eh?

Lord Valve
American

Mike Diack

Lord Valve wrote in
:

Hey, when you buy a Jaguar, it's a Ford. Tough ****, eh?

Yeah, and the same company name attaches to the big-ass coaxial speakers in
my workshop (Altec 604) as the cheesy little penny dreadful plastic ****
speakers on the computer. What's in a name ?

Lord Valve

Mike Diack wrote:

Lord Valve wrote in
:

Hey, when you buy a Jaguar, it's a Ford. Tough ****, eh?

Yeah, and the same company name attaches to the big-ass coaxial speakers in
my workshop (Altec 604) as the cheesy little penny dreadful plastic ****
speakers on the computer. What's in a name ?

Hey - how long have you been listening to logos?

The way I play it, I reckon if Stevie Wonder would
like it then it doesn't matter a dead rat's ass what's
written on it. Ya think? Good **** is good ****, and
that's the name o' that tune. These Telefunken North
America people make *killer* mikes. Period. I don't
give a **** what they call 'em...I only need to know where
to get 'em. Small-time assholes fight over **** like
logos.

Carry on whining, RATs.

Lord Valve
Expert

Toni Fishman

Wow, you can play?! I doubt it! ya, jerk..... let me guess ?

Guitar & Skin Flute?

Just so you know Stevie Wonder uses one of our (Good ****) Ela M251's

O ya, Logos don't mean anything! It's the people behind them that make
the products.

Dont bother to repost! I won't sink you your ( ass-pert ) level
again.

Heres one for ya, since you like logos so much:

"If you can't stab em or shoot em to death get somone from the 81 to
do it for you."

The Hells Angels.....

Hey - how long have you been listening to logos?

The way I play it, I reckon if Stevie Wonder would
like it then it doesn't matter a dead rat's ass what's
written on it. Ya think? Good **** is good ****, and
that's the name o' that tune. These Telefunken North
America people make *killer* mikes. Period. I don't
give a **** what they call 'em...I only need to know where
to get 'em. Small-time assholes fight over **** like
logos.

Carry on whining, RATs.

Lord Valve
Expert

Toni Fishman

Wow, you can play?! I doubt it! ya, jerk..... let me guess ?

Guitar & Skin Flute?

Just so you know Stevie Wonder uses one of our (Good ****) Ela M251's

O ya, Logos don't mean anything! It's the people behind them that make
the products.

Dont bother to repost! I won't sink you your ( ass-pert ) level
again.

Heres one for ya, since you like logos so much:

"If you can't stab em or shoot em to death get someone from the 81 to
do it for you."

The Hells Angels.....

Hey - how long have you been listening to logos?

The way I play it, I reckon if Stevie Wonder would
like it then it doesn't matter a dead rat's ass what's
written on it. Ya think? Good **** is good ****, and
that's the name o' that tune. These Telefunken North
America people make *killer* mikes. Period. I don't
give a **** what they call 'em...I only need to know where
to get 'em. Small-time assholes fight over **** like
logos.

Carry on whining, RATs.

Lord Valve
Expert

Lord Valve

Toni Fishman wrote:

[...]

My goodness.

I reckon you must be a noob. I can't recall ever having been
so supportive of a person, his company, and his product
and having received so thorough a flaming for having
done so.

I'll grant, Mr. Fishman, that reading comprehension is
not necessarily a skill one might require for the production
of high-quality microphones. On the other hand, in this case
it has evidently proven important within the sphere of online
business relationships, and your lack thereof has put you in
the rather puzzling position of having offended the one poster
on this NG who has (so far) shined a positive light on your
endeavors, and further of having offended one of the people
most likely to have the connections necessary to put you in
touch with persons who might supply you with the rare
tubes you're looking for.

It will take a long, long time for the egg to wear off your
face, sir. Perhaps you'd do better at Harmony Central
than on the Usenet.

Lord Valve
Tone Chaperone

VISIT MY WEBSITE: http://www.nebsnow.com/LordValve
I specialize in top quality HAND SELECTED NOS and
current-production vacuum tubes for guitar and
bass amps. Good prices, fast service.
QSC amps, RNC compressors, lots of other good stuff!

Partial Client List: * Derek Trucks/Allman Brothers Band *
* Meatloaf * Catherine Wheel * Yo La Tengo * Let's Go Bowling *
* Rob Hyckys (guitarist for Commander Cody) * Waky Amps *
* Fleetwood Mac * Tyrin Benoit * Eugene Fodor * Dale Bruning *
* Komet Amplification * Dr. Z * Maven Peal * Blockhead Amps *
* Jim Kelley * Balls Amplification * Roccaforte Amplifiers *
* Gerhart Amplification * Aiken Amplification * The Right Half of AGA *
* Lots More *

NBS Electronics, 230 South Broadway, Denver, CO 80209-1510
Phone orders/tech support after 1:30 PM Denver time at 303-778-1156

- Our 23rd Year -

VISA - MASTERCARD - PAYPAL

"It ain't braggin', if ya can do it." - Dizzy Dean

Toni Fishman

THIS POST WAS SIMPLE! WE WERE LOOKING FOR TUBES. FINGER POINTING &
HARASSING CONJECTURE WERE NOT NESSARY. IF YOU CANT HELP US WITH TUBES
THEN PLEASE MOVE ON & READ ANOTHER POST. WE'RE SORRY WE EVER POSTED
HERE. IT WAS A BIG MISTAKE. PLEASE EXCUSE OUR COMMENTS, AFTER
READING LORDS POSTS IT WAS CLEAR HE NEED TO KNOW WE'RE NOT GOING TO
LET HIM GET AWAY WITH HIS COMMENTS. IF YOU THINK MY POST WAS BAD READ
SOME OF FLETCHER'S........

Stewart Pinkerton wrote in message . ..
On 11 Nov 2004 23:39:14 -0800, (Toni Fishman)
wrote:

Actualy I drive a Porsche! O ya, and its one hell of a Porsche !

Lord Valve

I'm sure you have hands-on experience with this gear. Right?

Hey, when you buy a Jaguar, it's a Ford. Tough ****, eh?

Lord Valve
American

Actualy I drive a Porsche! O ya, and its one hell of a Porsche !!!!!

But not as good as an Aston Martin........

Oh bugger, that's a Ford too! :-)

Robert Casey

Note on English language slang:

When someone says that a company makes "good ****",
that means that that company makes excellent products.

Just so you know.
Lord Valve

Toni Fishman wrote:

THIS POST WAS SIMPLE! WE WERE LOOKING FOR TUBES. FINGER POINTING &
HARASSING CONJECTURE WERE NOT NESSARY. IF YOU CANT HELP US WITH TUBES
THEN PLEASE MOVE ON & READ ANOTHER POST. WE'RE SORRY WE EVER POSTED
HERE. IT WAS A BIG MISTAKE. PLEASE EXCUSE OUR COMMENTS, AFTER
READING LORDS POSTS IT WAS CLEAR HE NEED TO KNOW WE'RE NOT GOING TO
LET HIM GET AWAY WITH HIS COMMENTS. IF YOU THINK MY POST WAS BAD READ
SOME OF FLETCHER'S........

Well, I tried to be polite.

OK, asswipe - it's seldom that I run into someone who purports to be
an expert (at something or other) who is as singularly clueless as you
appear to be. It's a sad day indeed when the CEO of an audio gear
manufacturing company is so lacking in basic English language skills
as to imagine he's been insulted by someone who was handing him
an *exceedingly* rare Lord Valve Attaboy.

You stupid ****ing putz. You ignoramus. You dolt. You stinking
mouldering piece of excrement. You tonedeaf sleazebag - may
you spend the rest of your days recording street rappers with
a Mister Microphone plugged into a K-mart ghetto blaster.

Do yourself (and your company) a big favor, you ignorant ****,
and have someone (your secretary, perhaps?) read this entire
thread so he/she can explain to you exactly how full of **** you are.

Hiya, Fletcher. Long time no see. ;-)

Lord Valve
Expert

Jd.

Uzytkownik "Toni Fishman" napisal w wiadomosci
om...
THIS POST WAS SIMPLE! WE WERE LOOKING FOR TUBES.

Mr. Fishman, let's use some netiquette.
Try to find some about writting in capital letters, trimming quotes and
sigs...

--
==========###-###*###-###==============
Jaroslaw Dubowski, Bytom, Poland
==========###-###-###-###==============

Bro. Yahya

HEY L.V.! Its been a minute. Guess i haven't missed much huh?!? I
gotta say,"recording rappers with a mister microphone" was the
ultimate! I need a few bucks. Maybe i could "beatbox" for this guy and
he can bless me with a Plexi in return. LOL

Do me a favor if you have a minute and bless me with your expertise on
the "Bogen challenger woes" thread.

You're the best!
see ya round.

Steve O'Neill

I'm not LV but I don't believe his specific expertise is required to get you
on the correct track regarding your Bogen Challenger.

Bob Hedberg's response way above is pretty much on the mark AFAICT; Filter
caps downstream of the rectifier tubes are probably shorted and need
replacing. You pretty much verify this with your subsequent post stating
that no fuses blow when the rectifiers are out of their sockets.

When you get past this issue you might also consider running the specified
5Y3 rectifiers instead of the 5V4s unless you also modify the PS and/or
output stage bias. Why??? The indirectly heated 5V4 has roughly 1/2 the
voltage drop at load as does the directly heated 5Y3. This MAY result in
continuous DC voltages ~25 or more volts above design. Combine this with
the fact that mains voltages are 120VAC in most parts of the US when the
amp was probably designed for 117 and you're probably on or over the edge of
filter cap continuous voltage ratings and maybe even output tube ratings

Good luck.

Oh... and Lord, please forgive me for buttin in on your traffic.

--
Steve

"Bro. Yahya" wrote in message
m...
HEY L.V.! Its been a minute. Guess i haven't missed much huh?!? I
gotta say,"recording rappers with a mister microphone" was the
ultimate! I need a few bucks. Maybe i could "beatbox" for this guy and
he can bless me with a Plexi in return. LOL

Do me a favor if you have a minute and bless me with your expertise on
the "Bogen challenger woes" thread.

You're the best!
see ya round.

Shiva

"Lord Valve" wrote in message

Shiva wrote:

"Lord Valve" wrote in message

Jd. wrote:

[...]

No, you're wrong. Haven't even tried the real thing.

Hey, when you buy a Jaguar, it's a Ford. Tough ****, eh?

The only jag I had had a chev. smallblock & an auto tranny in it. Rust &
primer. It was an ugly 75 xj, but the price was right. Headache of a car.
To answer your question, though:
I neither want nor can afford a new jag.
What does any of this have to do with the proliferation of scumbags
grave-robbing brand names & sticking them on their (possibly good) forgeries
(err... copies?)? Want to buy some recently-discovered Picassos?
-Eddy Picasso.

Lord Valve
American

Lord Valve

Steve O'Neill wrote:

[...]

Hey, I don't own the joint - I only act like I do. ;-)

Besides, you gave him perfectly good advice.

LV

Lord Valve

Shiva wrote:

"Lord Valve" wrote in message

Shiva wrote:

"Lord Valve" wrote in message

Jd. wrote:

[...]

Given the clueless schmuck who runs the company, I'll still have to say
they're excellent. I have lots of tube customers in the
recording industry and I've only heard positive comments on them.

Hey, when you buy a Jaguar, it's a Ford. Tough ****, eh?

The only jag I had had a chev. smallblock & an auto tranny in it. Rust &
primer. It was an ugly 75 xj, but the price was right. Headache of a car.
To answer your question, though:
I neither want nor can afford a new jag.
What does any of this have to do with the proliferation of scumbags
grave-robbing brand names & sticking them on their (possibly good) forgeries
(err... copies?)?

A brand name is a commodity which can be bought or sold like any other.

While the logo may get one's foot in the door (so to speak) the product
will have to sink or swim on its own merits - like any other. If it sucks,
the company goes broke, and deservedly so. If it has a good price/performance
ratio and enough people find out about it, it'll fly in the marketplace.
Mullard
(for instance) made plenty of ****ty tubes in their day, and their badge on the
glass is *not* an automatic guarantee that what's *inside* the glass is kickass.

That's why I made the crack about listening to logos - brand names really aren't

anything to worry about, except from a historical standpoint. And if someone
resurrects a defunct one, so what? That's just more knowledge for
afficionados in the field to impress the rubes with. So don't start squealing
about Mike Matthews resurrecting the Tung-Sol and Mullard badges -
his tubes will either rock or not rock, and the marketplace will tell the
tale. (BTW - so far, they rock. Especially the new Tung-Sol 6550.)

Want to buy some recently-discovered Picassos?

That's a red herring, and you know it.

Picasso was a single person, with a unique artistic concept.
Tubes, mikes, cars and whatnot are assembly-line products
built by a multiplicity of persons with diverse talents and skills.

Lord Valve
Asshole

mosch

I wonder if you'd drive a porsche if some Connecticut mechanic licensed the
name and started making ca.1960's 911's and calling them porsche.
Especially if his parts usage deprived owners of the genuine article access
to supplies. The only thing that Mr. Fishman has going for him is that
Telefunken never manufactured anything, and that the actual mics that he
makes are copies of the ones Telefunken bought from Neumann and AKG.

Judging by his mischaracterization of LV's posts, it is clear that Mr.
Fishman is not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Telefunken USA, puh-lease.
In NYC, the Ray's pizza people solved their issues with authenticity by
calling their copycat company "Original Rays", which was followed by "Famous
Original Ray's", then Original Famous Rays"...

I'm not critiquing the mics- I've only heard them at a trade show. I m
critiquing the idea that he has to claim that they are "the same as the
originals in every way." The idea is such bull****, whether they perform as
such or not. It seems like TF has too much money and not enough originaliy
to design and market his own product...

Andy T
NYC

Scott Dorsey

Steve O'Neill wrote:

Bob Hedberg's response way above is pretty much on the mark AFAICT; Filter
caps downstream of the rectifier tubes are probably shorted and need
replacing. You pretty much verify this with your subsequent post stating
that no fuses blow when the rectifiers are out of their sockets.

I will second this, and I will also say that that metal can cap on the
Challenger is very, very badly chosen. It's just on the ragged edge of
the voltage rating when the amp is operating, and it's well over the rating
when it powers up. It must be replaced.

It's also possible that the output tubes are shorted too. I'd suggest that
you try firing the thing up with the output tubes removed, but this will
definitely run the supply caps way over their rated voltage.

When you get past this issue you might also consider running the specified
5Y3 rectifiers instead of the 5V4s unless you also modify the PS and/or
output stage bias. Why??? The indirectly heated 5V4 has roughly 1/2 the
voltage drop at load as does the directly heated 5Y3. This MAY result in
continuous DC voltages ~25 or more volts above design. Combine this with
the fact that mains voltages are 120VAC in most parts of the US when the
amp was probably designed for 117 and you're probably on or over the edge of
filter cap continuous voltage ratings and maybe even output tube ratings

I strongly recommend modifying the power supply. The amps were designed
to be as cheap as possible for the lowest grade voice applications. The
power supply is undersized and the caps are on the verge of failing. If
you put modern solid state rectification in there and modern caps, you
will get both a much stiffer supply and a much higher voltage supply. And
yes, you will have to rebias the output stage!

We used to use those as studio talkback amps when I was first starting out.
We'd also change the output tubes for something a little higher current too.
Problem is that there is not much room in there... a 7027 (which was the
cheap super-6L6 replacement at the time) is way too tall and I think the
modern Sovtek 6881WXGT tubes are just as bad.

Oh... and Lord, please forgive me for buttin in on your traffic.

What was the original post about and how did it come to be crossposted
into r.a.p. anway?

Adam Stouffer

mosch wrote:

I'm not critiquing the mics- I've only heard them at a trade show. I m
critiquing the idea that he has to claim that they are "the same as the
originals in every way." The idea is such bull****, whether they perform as
such or not. It seems like TF has too much money and not enough originaliy
to design and market his own product...

So if they are built using the same materials to the same specs they
cannot be the same? What is the deciding factor for your claim? Must the
materials used be 40 years old and only assembled in germany? How about
the new WE 300Bs? You can still buy a new Delorean today even though the
company is finished. They use a warehouse full of spare parts. Is that
any different from one made 20 years ago?

Obviously there is a market for new Telefunken mics, otherwise this guy
would not be in business. With the prices people pay for VF14 tubes
someone should be able to get a company like Valve Art or KR to make new
VF14s. But oh wait they can never be the same.

Adam
mosch

On 11.15.04 0:33, in article 3dXld.4973$d96.3637@trnddc01, "Adam Stouffer"
wrote:

Obviously there is a market for new Telefunken mics, otherwise this guy
would not be in business. With the prices people pay for VF14 tubes
someone should be able to get a company like Valve Art or KR to make new
VF14s. But oh wait they can never be the same.

Adam

To quote a nameless friend:

Now he (tony fishman) is in the process of
spending double on all the available stocks of good microphone tubes
(AC701k, VF14M, 6072A M, etc.) which will leave the rest of us who
actually use this **** really screwed. Personally I don't see the
need for someone to be manufacturing U47 microphones again. The fact
is that the M7 (and for that matter the CK12) capsule was difficult
to consistently manufacture for the largest of European manufactures
with the best hand assemblers in the history of microphone
manufacturing. So are we to believe that Telefunken USA a tiny
company in CT is making exactly the same mics?? Even if they can,
what is the sense in making microphones that use an obsolete and
impossible to find tube....especially if you are going to sell it for
more than the vintage mics on the market. If you are curious about
how little this guy actually knows about sound and engineering
consider this....he will sell you one of his prized U47M microphones
(for $5,500) with a nuvistor! I don't know one serious microphone
builder or tech who thinks the nuvistor sub that Neumann offered as a
last ditch solution to dwindling VF14 supplies was a good idea.
Especially since the output transformer on this mic was specifically
designed around the VF14 (quite an unusual tube) which has nothing in
common with 13 CW 4 Nuvistor. Perhaps I would be more intrigued by
Telefunken USA if they designed something new that built a reputation
based on how good it sounds instead of resting in the fact that most
buyers listen with there eyes and base their decisions on brand
recognition.

Bro. Yahya

(Scott Dorsey) wrote in message ...
Steve O'Neill wrote:

[...]

well i figured i'd have to do a cap job on it anyways but i didnt plan
on changing over to solid state rectification. i only bought it becaus
eit was cheap! i didnt want to throw a whole lotta work into it. it
powers up fine without the rectifier tubes in. blows the fuse as soon
as they're back in. turn it on, rectifiers glow red hot, then poof,
the fuse blows.

We used to use those as studio talkback amps when I was first starting out.
We'd also change the output tubes for something a little higher current too.
Problem is that there is not much room in there... a 7027 (which was the
cheap super-6L6 replacement at the time) is way too tall and I think the
modern Sovtek 6881WXGT tubes are just as bad.

Oh... and Lord, please forgive me for buttin in on your traffic.

What was the original post about and how did it come to be crossposted
into r.a.p. anway?

Bro. Yahya

Steve O'Neill wrote:

[...]

--scott

i replaced the rect tubes today and changed the filter cap to a 16uf
450 volt.
i could not find a 500 volt one. i hope this wont hurt the amp. i also
changed the 6l6gb's with 6l6gc's i hope this wont do any harm either.
i also change the 2 12ax7's. the amp fired right up. bit of a hum that
doesnt go away when i turn the pots etc. its pretty contant. tubes
break up around 5. not very loud either. i figure i should wire up 2-
8uf 250 volts caps in parallel and change all the other caps in the
amp.
the 6l6gc's have a bluish haze emmanating from them. i know a blue
glow is normal. i have the amp wired to a 2 x 12 closed-back speaker
cab. the speakers are rated 500 watts and 4 ohm. i wored them in
series for 8 ohms.
well...it sounds like an amp. i realize that this is a 50 year old
amp in need of a complete cap job and its a P.A. amp so i didnt expect
too much. i'm proud i was able to do it myself...with all of the
wonderful help and suggestions from my friends here in the forum. i
thought my wife would give me an attaboy but in retrospect she's
probably ****ed she has to hear that damn guitar again!
i would appreciate any suggestions on improving this amp and some
changes to the tone circuit to improve the "guitar" tone. please post
in layman's terms so i wont go "HUH"!! thanks
Jon Yaeger

in article , Bro. Yahya at
wrote on 11/17/04 10:53 PM:

. com...
Steve O'Neill wrote:

[...]

It's not necessary to post your answer 4 times. I think we got it the first
time.

Paul Stamler

"Bro. Yahya" wrote in message
om...

i replaced the rect tubes today and changed the filter cap to a 16uf
450 volt.
i could not find a 500 volt one. i hope this wont hurt the amp.

Buy or borrow a voltmeter and measure the voltage across that cap. If it's
more than 450, that cap isn't long for this world.

i also
changed the 6l6gb's with 6l6gc's i hope this wont do any harm either.

Shouldn't hurt.

i also change the 2 12ax7's. the amp fired right up. bit of a hum that
doesnt go away when i turn the pots etc. its pretty contant. tubes
break up around 5. not very loud either. i figure i should wire up 2-
8uf 250 volts caps in parallel and change all the other caps in the
amp.

No; if you do that they'll blow up. You want to wire caps in series, with a
voltage divider to put half of the voltage on the junction. Like this:

----|---------|----
| |
cap resistor
| |
|---------|
| |
cap resistor
| |
-------------------

Putting caps in series like this doubles the effective voltage rating (so
250V caps will work up to 500V) but halves the capacitance (so two 8uF caps
will become a 4uF composite cap, which will make the hum worse because it's
too small). A couple of 100uF 450V caps in series ought to be nice and
bomb-proof. Make the resistors 270k 2W and you should be okay. You can get
the caps and resistors from www.digikey.com .

Peace,
Paul

Scott Dorsey

Paul Stamler wrote:
"Bro. Yahya" wrote in message
. com...

i replaced the rect tubes today and changed the filter cap to a 16uf
450 volt.
i could not find a 500 volt one. i hope this wont hurt the amp.

Buy or borrow a voltmeter and measure the voltage across that cap. If it's
more than 450, that cap isn't long for this world.

Digi-Key carries Panasonic caps up to 600V, although your capacitance
values are limited. Replacing that 16 uF with a slightly higher value
might not be a bad either.

i also change the 2 12ax7's. the amp fired right up. bit of a hum that
doesnt go away when i turn the pots etc. its pretty contant. tubes
break up around 5. not very loud either. i figure i should wire up 2-
8uf 250 volts caps in parallel and change all the other caps in the
amp.

No; if you do that they'll blow up. You want to wire caps in series, with a
voltage divider to put half of the voltage on the junction. Like this:

High voltage caps are not TOO hard to get. If you absolutely HAVE to use metal
can types, call Antique Electronics Supply in Arizona. Replace the paper
caps in there with modern film capacitors if you want cleaner sound.

Bro. Yahya

"Paul Stamler" wrote in message ...
"Bro. Yahya" wrote in message
om...

[...]

thanks paul
there is a rectangular object 5000-7 R717A [resistor ?] attached to
the cap. it started smoking today and now i get loud hum and
motorboating. i dont have a clue.
imeasured the dc across the cap and it was over 500. ill have to
change that. when i turn the amp off the dc drops to zero. i
understand the series / paralel thing now but being unversed in
diagrams i dont understand the wiring or the resistors in your
diagram. could you elaborate?'thanks for your help.

Scott Dorsey

Bro. Yahya wrote:

thanks paul
there is a rectangular object 5000-7 R717A [resistor ?] attached to
the cap. it started smoking today and now i get loud hum and
motorboating. i dont have a clue.

That is a power resistor. It is smoking because something downstream from
it is drawing way too much current. Probably this is because of a cap that
is a short, or a tube stage that is misbiased due to a bad coupling cap.
ALL of the electrolytics will be bad. Some of the paper caps will probably
be bad too.

imeasured the dc across the cap and it was over 500. ill have to
change that. when i turn the amp off the dc drops to zero. i
understand the series / paralel thing now but being unversed in
diagrams i dont understand the wiring or the resistors in your
diagram. could you elaborate?'thanks for your help.

The capacitors are in series with one another, with a resistor in parallel
with each one so they share load. But frankly, just buy a 600V capacitor.
Bro. Yahya

"Paul Stamler" wrote in message ...
"Bro. Yahya" wrote in message
om...

[...]

i think i found a 20uf 500volt cap. should that be okay? can i go with
a 50uf 500 volt?
Shiva

"Lord Valve" wrote in message

Shiva wrote:

"Lord Valve" wrote in message

Shiva wrote:

&
primer. It was an ugly 75 xj, but the price was right. Headache of a

car.
To answer your question, though:
I neither want nor can afford a new jag.
What does any of this have to do with the proliferation of scumbags
grave-robbing brand names & sticking them on their (possibly good)

forgeries
(err... copies?)?

A brand name is a commodity which can be bought or sold like any other.

I know, i know. It's legal. Everything's a comodity.
Just a short while back, one could buy people. Or send an old chum a
witty postacrd made out of skin o' Jew.
One could still buy lawers, on off chance one gets the notion that a fancy
law firm might do a better job than a court-appointed shmuck, and has the
$$$$$ to act on such a notion. That I did. Amazing how well it worked.
Lucky me!
OTOH, there are lunatics who question the ethics of all of the above,
claiming that "just 'coz it ain't against the law, it ain't necessarily
*right*".
And folks with bux are buying great brand names. Wise, i think, at least
from the commercial standpoint. One never went broke banking on the
stupidity of the American public (a quote attributed to too many people,
E.T.B. being the likely wit).
In kase of Telefunken (of North America, or whatever), though, I'd do
things a bit differently. I'd buy up an overstock of some crappy mikes,
make molds / dies of old Telefunken mikes, send those off to a Taiwaneese /
Chineese jobber, and stick the crap mike carts into the bodies. Then I'd be
able to sell you a Telefunken for a couple 'o hundred $'s (assuming you were
runnin' a studio - I wouldn't be foolin' *you*), and you can add a slew of
"TELEFUNKEN MICS" to your studio's gear list. That would *certainly* get a
few more "feet in [your] door! And, considerin' the fact that most players
are clueless when it comes to studio gear, and rely on brand names tossed
about by their buddies, you'll do well for quite a while. Neat, huh?

While the logo may get one's foot in the door (so to speak) the product
will have to sink or swim on its own merits - like any other. If it

sucks,
the company goes broke, and deservedly so. If it has a good

price/performance
ratio and enough people find out about it, it'll fly in the marketplace.

So, you don't feel there is an intent to decieve when a well-known &
respected brand name is attached to a product which looks a whole bunch like
the brandname's well-respected product? Does the fact that $$$$$$$ changed
hands make it less sleazy?

Mullard
(for instance) made plenty of ****ty tubes in their day, and their badge

on the
glass is *not* an automatic guarantee that what's *inside* the glass is

kickass.

That's why I made the crack about listening to logos - brand names really

aren't

anything to worry about, except from a historical standpoint.

You betcha. People want the magic & history which goes along with the mike.
Many "kit" (AC) Cobras can blow doors on the originals, but ... I'll take an
original any day. If only to sell it again.

And if someone
resurrects a defunct one, so what? That's just more knowledge for
afficionados in the field to impress the rubes with.

And just one more way fore some scammer to dupe "rubes".

So don't start squealing

No, no, LV, I'm just typing. On an old keyboard named "Quiet Key". I love
the thing 'cos it makes satisfying clatter when I type. hadn't squealed in
a 'coon's age - had little reason to.

about Mike Matthews resurrecting the Tung-Sol and Mullard badges -
his tubes will either rock or not rock, and the marketplace will tell the
tale. (BTW - so far, they rock. Especially the new Tung-Sol 6550.)

Good for Mike. As far as toobs rocking or sucking, the "rubes" (golden-ears
and pro players among them) usually can't tell the difference 'tween an oboe
and a fart, so the "general consensus" is, pretty much, generated by
"cognnoscenti" like yourself, parroted over and over by "rubes" as personal
preferance or even fact. Truth be told, other than some tubes being
*objectively* crappy (poor mechanical construction, high failure rate,
inability to stand up to voltage ratings, missing the curves by a mile,
etc., etc.), it's hard to tell the difference 'tween **** and Shinola in
most applications. As far's 6550's, I wish someone would make a copy of
those short-bulb 6550's - those things fit well...

Want to buy some recently-discovered Picassos?

That's a red herring, and you know it.

Picasso was a single person, with a unique artistic concept.
Tubes, mikes, cars and whatnot are assembly-line products
built by a multiplicity of persons with diverse talents and skills.

Hey, by signing a piece "Picasso", a forger simply gets his foot in the
door - from that point on, his works sink or swim on their own merit, as you
put it. Or ... do they? I figgah' they don't, 'cos the same pieces which
the art critics were drooling over suddenly became worthless, and curators
for bigass museums got to feel mighty sheepish.... So, i figgah', the lable
added *something* to their artistic worth... (there's the rube thing rearin'
it's ugly head again).

Lord Valve
Asshole

-dim