Asterix

Default Characteristics of EL34?

Hi,

I own a Luxman LX-33 tube amplifier that provides 35 watts per channel (I
think) using 2 EL34's per channels, 2 12AX7's, and some other tubes. Anyway,
I was wondering, what are the characteristics of these tubes and if anyone
knows about this particular amp what are it's characteristics. Thanks.

Fabio Berutti

The EL34 is a very common pentode and a relatively recent one, since it was
designed by Philips in the beginning of the '50s (AFAIK). In its "original"
form it can take 600V on the plate and 450 on the G2, the dissipation being
25W and 8W respectively. Later Siemens and some other producers developed a
turbo version which was rated for 800V on the plate: in some guitar amp You
can see 100W squeezed out of a single couple of these tubes, used in pentode
class B.
It has been widely used 'cause it is small, easy to drive, efficient and can
be used either as a pentode (see above) or with much improved linearity in
triode or UL mode (as in Your amp I suppose). Current production is
available either from Russia or Czech (Svetlana, Electro-Harmonics and JJ):
all these tubes provide good quality and sensible prices, but if You want to
fiddle with tubes it's better trying swapping the 12AX7s with some JJ or
European NOS, if You can get some for less than 20$/ea...
Any data sheets can be found at http://tdsl.duncanamps.com/
By the way: it's better to change tubes ONLY IF they're as dead as a dodo or
absolutely out-of-spec, otherwise it's just wasting money, particularly in a
unit like the Luxman using a complex circuitry with lots of feeedback: the
0.1% difference in distortion among different toobs will vanish in there.

Quite a pretty unit, my compliments..

Ciao

Fabio

"Asterix" ha scritto nel messaggio
Hi,

I own a Luxman LX-33 tube amplifier that provides 35 watts per channel (I
think) using 2 EL34's per channels, 2 12AX7's, and some other tubes.

Anyway,
I was wondering, what are the characteristics of these tubes and if anyone
knows about this particular amp what are it's characteristics. Thanks.

kyser

"Fabio Berutti" wrote in message

Current production is available either from Russia or Czech (Svetlana,

Electro-Harmonics and JJ ...

And China: http://www.jacmusic.com/valveart/intro.htm

Patrick Turner

kyser wrote:

"Fabio Berutti" wrote in message

Current production is available either from Russia or Czech (Svetlana,

Electro-Harmonics and JJ ...

And China: http://www.jacmusic.com/valveart/intro.htm

I wonder how the chinese EL34 last when compared to the EH products.
The Valve Art ( chinese ) EL34 is 3dB cheaper than the EH EL34 from
jacmusic, which probably charges more than new Sensor.

But I see jacmusic carry ordinary 845 for usd$37 ea, and the "non
microphonic"
version with metal "post proof" supports for the anode at nearly
twice this price.

Never before has 50c worth of metal gained in value by such a huge margin
by placing it within a vacuum!

So the 845 at $37 looks like reasonable value, considering
that one will do about the same as 2 x Valve Art chinese KT88 at usd$42..

Because the internal electrode structure now does not touch the glass via
mica discs,
they claim the tubes are not microphonic.

This shouldn't matter at all with output tubes, since microphony
in normal use in home hi-fi sets results in less electronic signals
far lower than the the noise and distortion of the output tube.

Microphony is a concern in microphone and phono amps, not power tubes.

So it appears another BS concern is being touted as a claim for
superior tubes.

The tennis ball shaped 6SN7 do look pretty though.

If the chassis is vibrated, and it will vibrate with sound waves passing by,
the vibration is carried up into the tube via the tube socket,
and the internal structure will get rattled about and you *will*
get some microphony.

Patrick Turner.

AW

The LX33 was an assembled derivative of the Luxkit A1033 sold at the end
of
the '70s/early '80s. It's a basic integrated amp with a very nice vintage
sound, very good build quality (albeit below "real" Lux amps) and

excellent
output iron (Lux OY15-5).

I have been using mine for a number of years now and it was given to me by
my father who is the original owner. We were living in South Africa at the
time so this is where it was purchased. I have to use to a 220volt
transformer to get it to power up. I believe he bought it in the early 80's.
It's a beautiful looking amp and as you say, has a very nice sound (warm,
sweet, and punchy.) It's still got the original Matsu****a tubes, mostly
(and one general electric tube that I can see.)

Thanks for the info! I hope to enjoy the Luxman for many years to come...

Asterix

"François Yves Le Gal" wrote in message
On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 13:03:42 GMT, "Asterix"

wrote:

I was wondering, what are the characteristics of these tubes and if

anyone
knows about this particular amp what are it's characteristics.

"To cater for the specific requirements of sophisticated audiophiles this
model is designed under full command of perfect knowledge about vaccum

state
technology of existing tubes".
From the LX33 front panel... No kidding.

http://www.zenn.com.sg/LX33_fret.JPG

The LX33 was an assembled derivative of the Luxkit A1033 sold at the end

of
the '70s/early '80s. It's a basic integrated amp with a very nice vintage
sound, very good build quality (albeit below "real" Lux amps) and

excellent
output iron (Lux OY15-5).

The tube complement and topology are very classical. The amp can be wired

in
ultralinear for around 30 w per channel, or in triode mode for 15 w.

It uses the following tubes:
4 x 6CA7/EL34 (push-pull power stage)
2 x 12AU7 (driver)
1 x 6AQ8 (power amp input)
4 x 12AX7 (preamp)

(Google the tube references for more info)

http://my.reset.jp/~inu/ProductsData...KIT%201982.htm
(scroll down to A1033)

kyser

"Patrick Turner" wrote in message

kyser wrote:

"Fabio Berutti" wrote in message

Current production is available either from Russia or Czech

(Svetlana, Electro-Harmonics and JJ ...

And China: http://www.jacmusic.com/valveart/intro.htm

I wonder how the chinese EL34 last when compared to the EH products.

Valve Art are supposed to be very good, unlike some of the older Chinese
stuff ...

The Valve Art ( chinese ) EL34 is 3dB cheaper than the EH EL34 from

jacmusic, which probably charges more than new Sensor.

These look even better (at about $AU28 each, landed here):

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....69723 54&rd=1

Or if you want Russian Reflektor KT66s, relabelled and sold (at a much
higher prices) as Groove Tubes:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....43960 91&rd=1

Personally, I think I'll get a set of the VAs.

Patrick Turner

kyser wrote:

"Fabio Berutti" wrote in message

Current production is available either from Russia or Czech

(Svetlana, Electro-Harmonics and JJ ...

And China: http://www.jacmusic.com/valveart/intro.htm

I wonder how the chinese EL34 last when compared to the EH products.

Valve Art are supposed to be very good, unlike some of the older Chinese
stuff ...

That does not answer my question, so perhaps the answer is unknowable.

The Valve Art ( chinese ) EL34 is 3dB cheaper than the EH EL34 from

jacmusic, which probably charges more than new Sensor.

These look even better (at about $AU28 each, landed here):

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....69723 54&rd=1

Yes, but 6CA7 from NS are aud $11.00, and I would just buy 10 to get that price....

Still the KT66 lookalikes are very pretty tooobes.

Or if you want Russian Reflektor KT66s, relabelled and sold (at a much
higher prices) as Groove Tubes:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....43960 91&rd=1

Pass....

Personally, I think I'll get a set of the VAs.

Go for it.

It seems jacmusic's price structure places all the chinese tubes
at just below New Sensor.
When I buy tubes from NS, I sometimes buy 50 at a time at the wholesale rate,
and I don't where else I could buy tubes anywhere cheaper.

When you buy just a pair, then the price shouldn't matter too much because
you only want 2, or maybe 4, and $40 is neither here nor there.

After about 5 years of trading with NS, and after several grands worth of tubes,
I have had only one failure, just the other day when a Sovtek EL84 started
going intermittent in a client's amp.

I reckon that's a good record.

Patrick Turner.

Patrick Turner

Asterix wrote:

What would you define as a 'vintage' sound?

Poor high frequency, almost no bass to be proud of,
some feint hum, plus a bit of spitty hiss.
Occasional silences, when some darn thing has failed in the vintage gear yet
again.

Oh, and sandpapery sound when the volume turned beyond a whisper.
Poor intelligibility at 3 watts, due to alarming IMD levels.

Patrick Turner ;-)

The LX33 was an assembled derivative of the Luxkit A1033 sold at the end

of
the '70s/early '80s. It's a basic integrated amp with a very nice vintage
sound, very good build quality (albeit below "real" Lux amps) and

excellent
output iron (Lux OY15-5).

Patrick Turner

"François Yves Le Gal" wrote:

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 01:01:55 +1000, Patrick Turner
wrote:

Poor high frequency, almost no bass to be proud of,
some feint hum, plus a bit of spitty hiss.
Occasional silences, when some darn thing has failed in the vintage gear yet
again.

Oh, and sandpapery sound when the volume turned beyond a whisper.
Poor intelligibility at 3 watts, due to alarming IMD levels.

:-)

That would be "defective", not "vintage", Patrick.

Veteran sound maybe?

Patrick Turner ;-)

Jd.

Użytkownik "Fabio Berutti" napisał w
wiadomości ...
Current production is
available either from Russia or Czech (Svetlana, Electro-Harmonics and

JJ):
all these tubes provide good quality and sensible prices,

JJ is in based in Slovakia.
--
Jaroslaw Dubowski, Bytom

Fabio Berutti

OK, sorry, my world map has not been updated recently.
I'd prefer to say just "in EU".. it took 2 WWs and a century to break some
walls and wipe off some borderlines among old Europe, and I don't miss them.

Ciao