Fred Nachbaur

Default Tube Poetry Contest

Hi all,

The first draft of the Great 2003 Tube Poetry Contest is posted he
http://www3.telus.net/dogstarmusic/contest/index.htm

A text version of the rules follows. Please reply if you have any
suggestions for change.

Cheers,
Fred

RULES:

* Your entry may be any form of poetry or prose, and should have at
least something to do with tubes or tube audio. No size limit, but be
aware that if you write a huge tome it risks not getting read by all voters.

* All submissions should be posted to the usenet newsgroup
rec.audio.tubes, preferably under the thread "Tube Poetry/Prose?" If
this is not possible, you can email it to me, and I'll post it to r.a.t.
on your behalf. Deadline for posting your submission(s) is November 1,
2003 (that gives you almost two weeks from launch of contest).

* Submissions will be mirrored here, if you don't see it here within a
day or so after posting, send me an email just in case my news server
drops your post.

* Only one submission per person, but submissions can contain multiple
sub-sections or even separate works. (This is merely to prevent the
possibility of a single contributor taking more than one prize.) You can
add to or subtract from your submissions at any time before the deadline
for entry.

* One vote per person. That includes aliases!

* Voting ends November 8, 2003 (giving one week to decide).

* In case of tie(s), a second run-off vote will be held, with a deadline
of November 15, 2003.

* If there's still a tie, I (FN) cast the tie-breaking vote.

| Music: http://www3.telus.net/dogstarmusic/ |
| Projects: http://dogstar.dantimax.dk |

Fred Nachbaur

The page has now gone live with the entries received thus far. Let me
know if your entry hasn't appeared here for whatever reason (e.g. my
news server dropping your post.)

Still looking for someone to contribute a Third Prize.

http://www3.telus.net/dogstarmusic/contest/index.htm

Cheers,
Fred
| Music: http://www3.telus.net/dogstarmusic/ |
| Projects: http://dogstar.dantimax.dk |

Syl

"Fred Nachbaur" wrote in message
The page has now gone live with the entries received thus far. Let me
know if your entry hasn't appeared here for whatever reason (e.g. my
news server dropping your post.)

Still looking for someone to contribute a Third Prize.

You got your third prize buddy.

A nice paper weight made of a Green Marble base ( half kilo)
holding a nice Globe tube with engraved base. Tube type
depends on what I have on hand. Picture will be sent tonite...

Syl

---

Fred Nachbaur

Syl wrote:
[...]

You got your third prize buddy.

A nice paper weight made of a Green Marble base ( half kilo)
holding a nice Globe tube with engraved base. Tube type
depends on what I have on hand. Picture will be sent tonite...

Syl

Wow, that's a nice prize! Will update the site when I get the pic.

It occurs to me that perhaps a better way of distributing the prizes
would be to give 1st place winner first pick, 2nd place winner pick of
what's left, etc. It's just a bit more time consuming, but probably a
more fair way of assigning prizes. Unless someone comes up with a
compelling reason *not* to do it this way, I'll amend the rules
appropriately on the next update.

Cheers,
Fred
| Music: http://www3.telus.net/dogstarmusic/ |
| Projects, Vacuum Tubes & other stuff: |
| http://www.dogstar.dantimax.dk |

Choky

fourth prize- RDH4 CD from Choky
Original Old Colony,no burnie......... ?
or I can wait for next contest?

"Fred Nachbaur" wrote in message
newsUTjb.5029$qh7.3233@edtnps84...

Syl wrote:
[...]

[...]

Fred Nachbaur

Choky wrote:
fourth prize- RDH4 CD from Choky
Original Old Colony,no burnie......... ?
or I can wait for next contest?
[...]

OK! You're on! Great prize. Will add it to the update tonight.

Don't know if there will be a "next" contest, at least with me as admin,
these things just sort of happen... who knows when the next alignment of
the tube planets will occur. ;-)

Cheers,
Fred
| Music: http://www3.telus.net/dogstarmusic/ |
| Projects, Vacuum Tubes & other stuff: |
| http://www.dogstar.dantimax.dk |

BFoelsch

Here's a submission from my grandson:

1,2,3,4, 807
All good tubies go to heaven.

7,6,5,4,3,2,1
Where there is no silly-con.

[...]

Fred Nachbaur

Choky wrote:

now you can only hope that I'm better than Tim in promises (hiya
Shiva,Yoni,my Serbian-Russian fascist man!)
[...]

Hehe.., I can't say about Tim, since I don't have experience. But I'm
certainly not worried about you!

Cheers,
Fred
[inadequate fascist communist pinko fag turd thief]
| Music: http://www3.telus.net/dogstarmusic/ |
| Projects: http://dogstar.dantimax.dk |

Fred Nachbaur

BFoelsch wrote:

Here's a submission from my grandson:
[...]

Thanks.

Logged.
| Music: http://www3.telus.net/dogstarmusic/ |
| Projects: http://dogstar.dantimax.dk |

Tim Williams

now you can only hope that I'm better than Tim in promises (hiya
Shiva,Yoni,my Serbian-Russian fascist man!)

Hehe.., I can't say about Tim, since I don't have experience. But I'm
certainly not worried about you!

He's referring to my RDH4 CD that still hasn't gone out to Shiva...

Heh... maybe I could send a giftbasket of 12AU7s... ;-)

Tim

--
"That's for the courts to decide." - Homer Simpson

Syl

"Fred Nachbaur" a écrit dans le message

Hi all,

The first draft of the Great 2003 Tube Poetry Contest is posted he
http://www3.telus.net/dogstarmusic/contest/index.htm

You gotta love that A/Z Farnsworth's entry.

Sly

Andy Evans

The SET anthem

God save the 2A3!
Long live the 2A3!
The 2A3!
Send it victorious,
Happy and glorious,
Long to reign over us,
The 2A3!

=== Andy Evans ===
Visit our Website:- http://www.artsandmedia.com
Audio, music and health pages and interesting links.
Andy Evans

O MY Luve's a 2A3
That's newly bought in June!
And now my SET's like the melodie
That's sweetly play'd in tune!

As fair art thou, my bonnie tube,
So deep in luve am I;
And I will luve thee still, my dear,
Till a' the seas gang dry€”

Till a' the seas gang dry, my dear,
And the rocks melt wi' the sun;
I will luve thee still, my dear,
While the sands o' life shall run.

Goodbye until the morn, my only Luve!
And fare thee weel awhile!
And I will switch ye on again, my Luve,
And harken wi' ten thousand smiles.

=== Andy Evans ===
Visit our Website:- http://www.artsandmedia.com
Audio, music and health pages and interesting links.
Fred Nachbaur

Andy Evans wrote:
O MY Luve's a 2A3
[...]

Thanks, Robbie, er.. Andy. this entry (and the SET anthem) has been
logged and added to your submission at
http://www3.telus.net/dogstarmusic/contest/evans_a.htm .

Nice to see you having so much fun with this.

Cheers,
Fred
| Music: http://www3.telus.net/dogstarmusic/ |
| Projects, Vacuum Tubes & other stuff: |
| http://www.dogstar.dantimax.dk |

Andy Evans

Here's a submission from my grandson:
1,2,3,4, 807
All good tubies go to heaven.
7,6,5,4,3,2,1
Where there is no silly-con.

I hope he realises that when he wins the Radiotron Handbook his fate is to read
it from end to end, a task that has made grown men run for cover.

=== Andy Evans ===
Visit our Website:- http://www.artsandmedia.com
Audio, music and health pages and interesting links.

Mark Harriss

Hi Fred, I'll contribute two Haltron E90CC
with the receiver to pay postage. I don't
know if anyone has uses for these 7 pin
dual triodes.

jim

"Fred Nachbaur" wrote in message
newsUTjb.5029$qh7.3233@edtnps84...

Syl wrote:
[...]

[...]

I have 2 x new 5U4Gs here... Who knows what make... Russian/Chinese ???
Marked as CVC/Chelmer valve .... Google it.. Brit distributors.. You can
have them as a prize mailed free, no cost, to anybody in UK/US/CAN/OZ ...
No boxes, just lots of bubble wrap and an armoured outer case...... you
ever watched the UPS lads, sorting parcels !!
regards
jim

Fred Nachbaur

jim wrote:
[...]

I have 2 x new 5U4Gs here... Who knows what make... Russian/Chinese ???
Marked as CVC/Chelmer valve .... Google it.. Brit distributors.. You can
have them as a prize mailed free, no cost, to anybody in UK/US/CAN/OZ ...
No boxes, just lots of bubble wrap and an armoured outer case...... you
ever watched the UPS lads, sorting parcels !!
regards
jim

Thanks, jim. Prize list has been duly updated.

http://www3.telus.net/dogstarmusic/contest/index.htm

Cheers,
Fred
| Music: http://www3.telus.net/dogstarmusic/ |
| Projects, Vacuum Tubes & other stuff: |
| http://www.dogstar.dantimax.dk |

Choky

ya ppl are ****in' nutz!
now we have more prizes,then poetic entries!
hehe-just send all prizes to me,I'll arrange delivery........once ........

--
.................................................. ........................
Choky

"don't use force, "don't use force,
use a larger hammer" use a larger tube
- Choky and IST"
- ZM
"Fred Nachbaur" wrote in message

jim wrote:
[...]

I have 2 x new 5U4Gs here... Who knows what make... Russian/Chinese ???
Marked as CVC/Chelmer valve .... Google it.. Brit distributors.. You

can
have them as a prize mailed free, no cost, to anybody in UK/US/CAN/OZ

No boxes, just lots of bubble wrap and an armoured outer case...... you
ever watched the UPS lads, sorting parcels !!
regards
jim

Thanks, jim. Prize list has been duly updated.

http://www3.telus.net/dogstarmusic/contest/index.htm

Cheers,
Fred
| Music: http://www3.telus.net/dogstarmusic/ |
| Projects, Vacuum Tubes & other stuff: |
| http://www.dogstar.dantimax.dk |

Fred Nachbaur

Just a reminder: Only one week left to post your submissions to the
Great 2003 Tube Poetry/Prose contest. Take a look at some of the awesome
prizes you could win (URL in the quoted message below). You can't win if
you don't enter! Not the poetic sort? Well, write some prose! What do
tubes mean to you? Here's your chance to express your true feelings! ;-)

Also, should you wish to change/ add to/ remove from or otherwise edit
your entry, either post the corrections here or send them to my email
address (not munged).

I hit upon a voting method that might be more appropriate for this kind
of contest:

Each voter has one vote, but this vote may be for a single entrant, or
may be split two or three ways.

If the vote is for a single entrant, that entrant gets six points.
If the vote is split two ways, each entrant gets three points.
If the vote is split three ways, each entrant gets two points.

It's my hope that this voting method will reduce the chance of ties, and
perhaps make it easier for the voters when having to choose between two
(or three) "equally deserving" entries.

Any thoughts/ comments/ objections?

Cheers,
Fred

Fred Nachbaur wrote:
[...]

Tim Williams

Each voter has one vote, but this vote may be for a single entrant, or
may be split two or three ways.

If the vote is for a single entrant, that entrant gets six points.
If the vote is split two ways, each entrant gets three points.
If the vote is split three ways, each entrant gets two points.

Sounds good. But divide by two, you're wasting points... Like those
contests "hurry up to get your 10,000 point keyword!!!!!!11".. :

Tim

--
"That's for the courts to decide." - Homer Simpson

Fred Nachbaur

Fred Nachbaur wrote:
Hi all,

The first draft of the Great 2003 Tube Poetry Contest is posted he
http://www3.telus.net/dogstarmusic/contest/index.htm
[..]

LAST CHANCE TO ENTER OR UPDATE YOUR ENTRY!

Deadline is Saturday, November 1st, 11:59pm (23:59) Pacific Standard Time.

Cheers,
Fred
| Music: http://www3.telus.net/dogstarmusic/ |
| Projects: http://dogstar.dantimax.dk |

Tim Williams

Deadline is Saturday, November 1st, 11:59pm (23:59) Pacific Standard Time.

Does that go 59.9999999999999 seconds (and so on)?

Tim

--
"That's for the courts to decide." - Homer Simpson

Gregg

Behold, Fred Nachbaur signalled from keyed 4-1000A filament:

Tim Williams wrote:

"Fred Nachbaur" wrote in message

Deadline is Saturday, November 1st, 11:59pm (23:59) Pacific Standard
Time.

Does that go 59.9999999999999 seconds (and so on)?

Tim

Approximately.

How do we vote?

--
Gregg
*It's probably useful, even if it can't be SPICE'd*
Fred Nachbaur

Tim Williams wrote:

"Fred Nachbaur" wrote in message

Deadline is Saturday, November 1st, 11:59pm (23:59) Pacific Standard
Time.

Does that go 59.9999999999999 seconds (and so on)?

Tim

Approximately.

How do we vote?

Once the voting period begins (on Sunday), voting will be via email to
me. You can vote for one, two or three entries; if you vote for more
than one, your vote will be equally split between the two or three
candidates.

Summary will be published on the Contest Webpage when the time comes.

Cheers,
Fred
| Music: http://www3.telus.net/dogstarmusic/ |
| Projects, Vacuum Tubes & other stuff: |
| http://www.dogstar.dantimax.dk |

Fred Nachbaur

Hi all,

Let the voting begin! Entries are archived at the contest website:
http://www3.telus.net/dogstarmusic/contest/index.htm

The voting instructions are on the site, and are also repeated below:

VOTING:

The contest is now (as of 2 Nov. 2003) closed to further entries, and we
have entered the voting period. Votes will be accepted until Saturday, 8
November 2003. Your votes are to be emailed directly to me, Fred
Nachbaur, at the following email address:

Each vote counts as a total of six points. If you vote for a single
entrant, that entrant gets six points towards his total score.

If you find it difficult to decide between entries of equal quality, you
may also split your vote two or three ways. If you vote for two
entrants, each entrant receives three points. If you vote for three
entrants, each entrant has two points applied to their total scores.
"Weighted" splits are not supported.

Once the voting deadline has passed, totals will be tallied and posted
here. Then begins the prize picking portion of the contest, during which
winners sequentially pick their prizes of choice, starting with the
First Place winner.

| Music:
http://www3.telus.net/dogstarmusic/ |
| Projects, Vacuum Tubes & other stuff: |
| http://www.dogstar.dantimax.dk |

Fred Nachbaur

Patrick wrote:
"Fred Nachbaur" schreef in bericht

Hi all,

Let the voting begin! Entries are archived at the contest website:
http://www3.telus.net/dogstarmusic/contest/index.htm

The voting instructions are on the site, and are also repeated below:

VOTING:

The contest is now (as of 2 Nov. 2003) closed to further entries, and we
have entered the voting period. Votes will be accepted until Saturday, 8
November 2003. Your votes are to be emailed directly to me, Fred
Nachbaur, at the following email address:

SNIP
A daily update on the contest website might be exciting...

Hm... I'll consider that. Thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers,
Fred
| Music: http://www3.telus.net/dogstarmusic/ |
| Projects, Vacuum Tubes & other stuff: |
| http://www.dogstar.dantimax.dk |

jim

Patrick wrote:
[...]

We're on the Greenwich Meridian here. Don't wish to appear superior but
London is where you all are relative to the space time continuum... At this
time of year we wind our clocks back by one hour so the children walk to
school in the daylight.. We invented time so have the right to change it as
we see fit. You can either enjoy an extra hour in bed or get up at the
same time and do an hours work before you got there.... Thanks to the fact
that you don't get to see the sun before we've had it, our economy is
booming. It should be, we've done a days work while you're still cooking
breakfast.
Concorde is now unfortunately no longer flying. At Mach 2 we used to be
able to see what you were going to do tomorrow while you were still asleep.
When I cast my vote, will it be yesterday or tomorrow ? I would not like to
be accused of seeing the result before voting or have my vote disqualified
for being too late.
kind regards
jim

Andy Evans

I'm very short of time so I wonder if Fred can log my vote. I assume you can't
vote for yourself, and I liked the poem by Mr Witt so that's my vote. Andy
Evans

=== Andy Evans ===
Visit our Website:- http://www.artsandmedia.com
Audio, music and health pages and interesting links.
RdM

"jim" wrote:
in ,
on Mon, 3 Nov 2003 11:27:30 -0000,

[...]

Listen jim, you think you've got an angle ... it's already tomorrow
here, and you've only just had lunch yesterday!

Anyway, GMT is so ... last century;-})
http://www.astro-tom.com/time/universal_time.htm
http://www.apparent-wind.com/gmt-explained.html

Maybe we can redefine Fred's cut-off time in UT or UTC ... lessee,
Saturday, November 1st, 11:59pm (23:59) Pacific Standard Time.

Pacific Standard Time (PST) = UT - 8 hours

So ... you've got until about breakfast Sunday, unless you sleep in;-)

[OTOH, Fred's posts show Mountain Standard Time (MST)= UT - 7 hrs!]

Safest scheme - have a few lagers and vote on Saturday night!!! :=)

: kind regards
: jim

cheers, R.
[NZDT +1300]

Handy world clocks and more at
http://www.timeanddate.com/
Fred Nachbaur

jim wrote:
[...]

[...]

Oh, I dunno. I live in British Columbia, but there isn't very much
British about it. Nor Columbia, for that matter, except maybe that we
grow a lot of pot here. (We can't grow cocaine here, apparently, but not
for lack of trying. The cops keep dumping the stuff on the ground, but
nothing ever happens.) So our main exports are dope, beer and wine.

Anyway, our idea of time is pretty casual. If your vote gets here
tomorrow, you'll be fine. We'll find it next week. If it gets here
yesterday, we might find it today. Course that depends on how much of
our main exports we've consumed.

We call it "Kootenay time." Movies, shows, and other events always start
a half-hour after posted. This is to give time to enjoy our main exports
before the show starts.

Cheers,
Fred
| Music: http://www3.telus.net/dogstarmusic/ |
| Projects, Vacuum Tubes & other stuff: |
| http://www.dogstar.dantimax.dk |

Fred Nachbaur

Andy Evans wrote:
I'm very short of time so I wonder if Fred can log my vote. I assume you can't
vote for yourself, and I liked the poem by Mr Witt so that's my vote. Andy
Evans

Thanks, Andy. Logged.

And you're right, you can't vote for yourself. ;-)

Cheers,
Fred
| Music: http://www3.telus.net/dogstarmusic/ |
| Projects, Vacuum Tubes & other stuff: |
| http://www.dogstar.dantimax.dk |

TubeGarden

Hi RATs!

Here in AZ, respectable scholars use Navajo time.

There is Now, and then. Then before and then after are both then.

There is enough Now to go around. There is even more then, but nobody lives
there, so who cares

Happy Ears!
Al

Alan J. Marcy
Phoenix, AZ

PWC/mystic/Earhead
Fred Nachbaur

Hi all,

Hey, don't be bashful, send in your vote for best/ worst/ funniest/
sappiest/ prettiest/ ugliest tube poem!

So far, only five people have sent me their vote, and only four
contestants have received any votes! And since we have six prizes, that
means .. um.. I'm not sure what that means, but it can't be good.

Do your tubaciously civic duty and Vote!

http://www3.telus.net/dogstarmusic/contest/index.htm

Cheers,
Fred
| Music: http://www3.telus.net/dogstarmusic/ |
| Projects: http://dogstar.dantimax.dk |

Fred Nachbaur

Tomorrow is the "Harmonic Concordance," a very rare alignment of astro
objects. One aspect of it is the eclipse of the moon, and represents the
peak of the concordance. But the time around the actual event is very
special.

http://www.harmonicconcordance.com/

During this time, cheap ghetto blasters sound like solid-state home
stereos, and solid-state stereos sound like tube amps. Tube amps achieve
final perfection, and directly convey the Music of the Spheres of
Harmonic Concordance. MM cartridges sound like $8000 MC's, and EL84's
sound like WE 300B's. Only euphonious harmonics are created, and those
have numeric ratios identical to those in the chart.

The time around the concordance has been one of preparation, one aspect
of which is that we had some interesting cosmic visitors. This will
probably abate some time after the concordance.

***

Tomorrow also marks the end of the Tube Poetry Contest VOTING stage.
Thanks to those who voted so far, but the number (12 voters) is only a
small fraction of the known denizens of r.a.t.

At this point in time, there is surprising consensus on best poetry! In
fact, only five entrants have gleaned votes, which would mean the the
first place winner would glean two prizes! So please VOTE, if you
haven't already.

http://www3.telus.net/dogstarmusic/contest/index.htm

Cheers,
Fred
| Music: http://www3.telus.net/dogstarmusic/ |
| Projects, Vacuum Tubes & other stuff: |
| http://www.dogstar.dantimax.dk |

TubeGarden

Hi RATs!

Look, there are less than ten billion people on this rock. You think talent and
wit are common?

Get over it

Happy Ears!
Al