Rick Powell

Default 4 track 1/4 inch recorder in IL?

I got a call from a person with a 1/4" R-T-R tape. It contains the
audio portion of an A-V slide show. They want to transfer the audio to
CD so that it can be edited into a DVD. I'm not sure if the format is
4 track or 2+2 track stereo (the guy said it was described to him as "4
track"). I'd be willing to send it off for the transfer if nothing can
be found locally (we are in driving distance to Chi.).

Any ideas?

RP

RD Jones

The terms "4 track" and "quarter-track" are equivalent.
Either can be transcribed with a "4 channel" quarter-
track machine. Are there any special slide trigger tones
on the tape ?

rd

**bg**

"Rick Powell" wrote in message
ups.com...
I got a call from a person with a 1/4" R-T-R tape. It contains the
audio portion of an A-V slide show. They want to transfer the audio to
CD so that it can be edited into a DVD. I'm not sure if the format is
4 track or 2+2 track stereo (the guy said it was described to him as "4
track"). I'd be willing to send it off for the transfer if nothing can
be found locally (we are in driving distance to Chi.).

Any ideas?

RP

What is the dia. of the reel?

What speed is it recorded at?

-bg-

www.lchb.ca

Scott Dorsey

Rick Powell wrote:
I got a call from a person with a 1/4" R-T-R tape. It contains the
audio portion of an A-V slide show. They want to transfer the audio to
CD so that it can be edited into a DVD. I'm not sure if the format is
4 track or 2+2 track stereo (the guy said it was described to him as "4
track"). I'd be willing to send it off for the transfer if nothing can
be found locally (we are in driving distance to Chi.).

Any ideas?

It's either quarter track with 50 Hz tones for advance, or it's actually
4-track with the synchronization tones on tracks 2 and 4. Most of these
are 7.5 ips. I do this sort of stuff all the time but I'm in Virginia.
If you don't care about the synchronization data, you can just get a dub
to a CD-R.