ren

Default What is the blue stuff on top of these tubes?

Jim Gregory

ren
It's external. Some kind of paint to mark /identify /tart them for some
reason.

ren

Jim Gregory wrote:
ren
It's external. Some kind of paint to mark /identify /tart them for some
reason.

Right, thank you. I see that now that you pointed it out. It was so
odd looking I couldn't figure what would cause that.
Patrick Turner

"ren" wrote in message ...

Right, thank you. I see that now that you pointed it out. It was so
odd looking I couldn't figure what would cause that.

Maybe it is temperature sensitive paint which changes colour
if the tube has been over heated.

Could have been from a Blues Bros amp.

Patrick Turner.

EC

It's not widely known, but some cultures decorate vacuum tubes
as Christmas ornamnets... likely just ROS (recovered old stock).

)

cowboy

paint

cowboy

Ian Iveson

Perhaps they were matched or rated and colour-coded by a reseller or
a bulk user? That would explain why they are so similar.

Cheers, Ian

OffTopic

You're exactly right, Ian.
This type of paint is very common with tubes used by the Hammond organ
company. Just a way of identifying them. Easier to apply and see in a
production environment.

k...